It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Reports Claim ISIS Just Captured al-Asad Air Base

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: ANNED
Marines will just call in close air support for a target rich environment.

For ISIS to take Ain al-Asad air base they have to leave areas they can hide.

If they take a airbase then they are subject to carpet bombing due to them being out side a civilian area.

Some of the tweets coming out of the area said that ISIS fighters were in control of at least one building in the air base.
If that is the case, it would make air support difficult.
If ISIS did take the air base, they would most likely have some US prisoners. I don't know how eager Obama would be to carpet bomb the area in that situation.

Can you post these tweets?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
And look... we don't even know what is going on for certain, and we are referring to them as 'the 300'.
This really stinks of a set up to me.

link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

No doubt - I wouldn't expect any less form any group of professional soldiers surrounded by religious nutjobs intent on putting some air between their head and shoulders. I was just pointing out that expecting them to hold off all comers (as some where hinting) might be a bit much.

I'd expect the US - if the base was about to be overrun - would intervene heavily anyway. Bad PR to lose an entire training battalion and even worse PR to have them murdered for the world to see.

link   
I'll take 300 marines and their arsenal + the the indigenous people they are training, over a couple of thousand ISIS attackers ANY DAY. Not to mention that the Marines have air support to help defend. If anything, I believe this was an ISIS attempt to test the security of the base....no-one is that stupid. Please let ISIS be stupid enough to send more than a "recon" team to attack this base...a couple of guided missiles could take out a significant portion of their fighters with hardly a sweat broken.

P.S., Please Lord; 8-pound, 6-ounce baby Jesus, Please let this be ISIS "last stand". Maybe let us catch a few to torture and execute on public television.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LeatherNLace

Indeed

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I can give you links to sites that I have been reading over the last few hours. That is where I saw any of the tweets. I don't do twitter.
libertynews

the gateway pundit

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LeatherNLace

Isis is just a scapegoat for the real problem with is fundamental extremism. Even if this was the last stand for ISIS which it isnt, we still dont have the idea beat.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Yeah . . . what Twitter hash is this being tweeted upon . . . saw links to Reuters and Liberty but no Twitter links.

Thinking it may be bull

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I swear if an Iraqi went Deer hunting the Deer would win. WTF is wrong with their military?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonnez
Yeah . . . what Twitter hash is this being tweeted upon . . . saw links to Reuters and Liberty but no Twitter links.

Thinking it may be bull

The hash tags are at the gateway pundit link that I just posted.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
I swear if an Iraqi went Deer hunting the Deer would win. WTF is wrong with their military?

From what I have read, what weren't captured went over to ISIS... or dropped their weapons and ran away at the first sign of an ISIS advance.
I would bet on the deer too.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Real question: Why in the hell are American troops still on the ground in Iraq? At this point this whole shebang should be between ISIS and Iraq's security force and, if that security force fails, the US should stand back and allow Iran and Syria to clean the dog crap out of their own back yards and stay the hell out of it. Those Marines are NOT protecting American freedoms or American safety over there at this point.

Lay down as many booby trapped munitions as possible for ISIS to find, kick the sand off their boots as they board the transports, and return them all safely to the USA. Then assign them to our nation's Southern border where our honest to goodness freedoms and security are being jeopardized by an external enemy aided and abetted by internal authorities.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Pentagon spokeswoman Navy Commander Elissa Smith confirmed the attack to Reuters, saying “There were reports of ineffective indirect fire in the vicinity of the base.”

www.washingtontimes.com...

Of course that's what you'd expect them to say, for now.
edit on 12-2-2015 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Am I the only one who finds this pretty convenient, considering that Obama just went to congress about putting boots on the ground?

ISIS can't be that stupid?

I never credited ISIS with an over abundance of intelligence.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Real question: Why in the hell are American troops still on the ground in Iraq? At this point this whole shebang should be between ISIS and Iraq's security force and, if that security force fails, the US should stand back and allow Iran and Syria to clean the dog crap out of their own back yards and stay the hell out of it. Those Marines are NOT protecting American freedoms or American safety over there at this point.

Lay down as many booby trapped munitions as possible for ISIS to find, kick the sand off their boots as they board the transports, and return them all safely to the USA. Then assign them to our nation's Southern border where our honest to goodness freedoms and security are being jeopardized by an external enemy aided and abetted by internal authorities.

Community applause.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I'm waiting for Susan Rice to make a statement.

Maybe some clarity will come out of this.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I saw of fox last night that the marines were ordered by homeland security to lay down weapons and evacuate . Of course Fox has to spin it to a left right thing. Then they turned it into a gun issue and brought in Ted Nugent to jam with Mike Suckabee with Anne Coulter singing "shes got betty davis eyes".
edit on 12-2-2015 by Foderalover because: added a joke

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Foderalover
I saw of fox last night that the marines were ordered by homeland security to lay down weapons and evacuate . Of course Fox has to spin it to a left right thing.

That may have been a report from Yemen.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Shoot I agree.

My point was just saying that some of his biggest critics are the ones saying he needs to do more with men and women of service.
And that those same people would be the ones freaking out when one of them gets captured and and killed.

Pffffffft, IF the truth ever comes out, we will see that ISIS was created by the same governments that used their actions to create MORE draconian laws against the people who believe in this fear mongering terrorist crap! It's already been done! Remember 9/11?

Yupp, its the same game as 2001.
Just the names have changed.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Foderalover
I saw of fox last night that the marines were ordered by homeland security to lay down weapons and evacuate . Of course Fox has to spin it to a left right thing.

The Marines take their orders from Homeland Security?
I knew things were going downhill, but wow.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join