It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Reports Claim ISIS Just Captured al-Asad Air Base

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

That's the only way that they could have stopped them from moving around.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: tom.farnhill
a reply to: stumason

you might be forgetting the ship that Israel straffed a while back when the other battle ships were told to stand down and not to assist . i forget the name but i am sure the Americans boys do .

The USS Liberty.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: tom.farnhill

you might be forgetting the ship that Israel straffed a while back when the other battle ships were told to stand down and not to assist . i forget the name but i am sure the Americans boys do .

I'm aware of the Liberty incident. Who was told to stand down? I thought the ship was actually quite some distance from any other US ships and an aircraft carrier did dispatch aircraft which hadn't arrived by the time the IDF had realised their error.

I don't really see the relevance of the Liberty incident to this, though.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Well, if we are going to start seriously taking on ISIS, this base might be and is a good place to make the starting point.
It's an air field, and we are going to need that.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
A convenient excuse to go to war. ISIS is just an excuse for us to go to war with Syria and take over the oil interests there. I mean ISIS is an evil organization but we did essentially create them from all our meddling.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
If they took the air port it wont be for long. We will blow that place to rubble with air strikes. I-sissy will be sitting ducks lol.

Besides ISIS have to go through King Leonidas brave 300 first. They are going to have a hard time.
edit on 13-2-2015 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-2-2015 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarthFazer
If they took the air port it wont be for long. We will blow that place to rubble with air strikes. I-sissy will be sitting ducks lol.

True, but the damage would have been done already. IS don't want the base for aircraft, but for the propaganda.

originally posted by: DarthFazer
Besides ISIS have to go through King Leonidas brave 300 first. They are going to have a hard time.

Oh please, stop with the chest puffing. Yes, US Marines are tough, but they're not unbeatable and they're certainly not legendary warriors.

As for the "300" stuff, that's just myth and hyperbole as well. At Thermopylae, the 300 Spartans were accompanied by some 1,200 other Greek soldiers and it was more a testament to the strength of the Greek Hoplite phalanx (helped by the extremely narrow front on which the Persians were forced to fight) than any super-warrior coolness.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I think people are taking this too lightly. They may have not taken the base but think 10 miles away.

300 marines are not the 300 Greeks who whipped the Persians

Now I know you folks understand if something bad happens to them marines we at war for real. Obama will be swept into full war

We won’t tolerate that.

The country would go ballistic.

Now I just read an enlightening article I lost were it was) about Isil's motivation. Because of some prophesies THEY want the west to invade a certain place in Turkey and a certain place in Syria

All to bring about the last days

When I find that article Ill post it

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

I believe that one.
There is no doubt there are people wanting this to end in Armageddon,
and it could.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Am I the only one who finds this pretty convenient, considering that Obama just went to congress about putting boots on the ground?

ISIS can't be that stupid?

Apparently nobody told ISIS that when you lob off a bunch of western heads and set a Jordanian on fire, you get a ground war on your turf for the next 15 years. Where have these guys been for the last 15 years? Mexico?

Someone did tell them. They WANT a defensive guerilla war on the ground. Such a battle over a large area is cheap to fight for the defenders and overwhelmingly costly for the attackers. Over time that strategy wins through economics.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:44 AM
link   

the point i was trying to make , was that help does not always come on time to prevent a massacre .

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Yahoo now says that Apache gunships have been deployed.

US Apache Helicopters attack ISIS base

Helicopter gunships engaged fighters in al-Baghdadi, an area almost completely controlled by ISIS. The U.S. has led a coalition of Western and Arab nations to conduct airstrikes against the Islamic State group in Iraq since June 2014 and in Syria since September 2014 as part of Operation Inherent Resolve. Those airstrikes have consisted of long-range bombing and missile strikes from fixed-wing aircraft. Helicopter operations would require pilots to fly much closer to the combat area.

So the US has just upped the anti. I guess this is to make sure that the POTUS gets his funding for the war.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
They (ISIS) attacked the base with 25 or so dressed as Iraqi soldiers, and put a few out in front with explosive vests.
The idea was to create enough mayhem with the explosions to allow those behind to infiltrate. It didn't go well for them, they got lit up like firecrackers. I wonder if there is any video....
edit on 14-2-2015 by charlyv because: clarity

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I know exactly what it is you're talking about, don't get butthurt, just giving you a hard time a reply to: czerro

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: asmall89
A convenient excuse to go to war. ISIS is just an excuse for us to go to war with Syria and take over the oil interests there. I mean ISIS is an evil organization but we did essentially create them from all our meddling.

I would rather think of it as an organized extermination. And well overdue.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Hi I wanted to ask you but can't seem to get ahold of you

Did Budapest memorandum mention protecting Ukraine from US sponsored coups and revolutions to install puppets

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
a reply to: crazyewok

Indeed and I said as much on page two - if the base came under genuine threat, massive air power will be brought to bear.

But my comments are dealing with the here and now, coupled with the hubris on display here. People boldly declaring that "artillery and tanks" will be wiped out, when IS has been using both and they haven't. And it won't be the Marines heroically holding off any IS advance on the base like some genetically-enhanced super warriors, but the rain of death from above.

That said, air power alone has never achieved a damn thing. You need boots on the ground and as we've seen from reports in Iraq, even where the Iraqi's are willing to fight, they are up against it.

After 4-5 months of this air campaign, precious little ground has been recaptured from IS and at best, it has only slowed them up as they've had to change how they operate to avoid being hit. As we saw in Kobane, IS had valley's near the town full of thousands of vehicles and fighters untouched by Air strikes and it took a full 4 months of fighting to get them to relent and pull back, even then they still totally surround the town in the nearby villages and hills.

Well yah if they keep the tanks and artillary scattered then they are safe.

If they mass them together for assault on the base that when I can see them being turned to scrap metal.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
300 Jarheads will dispatch of thousands of ISIS before ISIS even puts a dent into their number.

I'm not in the least worried, LOL.

The Marines are one branch of the US Military that you can count on doing damage in large quantities. They are bred for War.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodydagger
300 Jarheads will dispatch of thousands of ISIS before ISIS even puts a dent into their number.

I'm not in the least worried, LOL.

The Marines are one branch of the US Military that you can count on doing damage in large quantities. They are bred for War.

As pointed out.

It likely wont be the marines doing the damage but the reign of fire from above.

The marines will just be drawing the scum out there hiding places.
edit on 14-2-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Looks like they are holding their own.joeforamerica.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join