It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Reports Claim ISIS Just Captured al-Asad Air Base

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Breaking over Reuters and Twitter.

ISIS engaged in heavy combat at the al-Asad airbase.

as many as 300 U.S. Marines might be there !

Nothing confirmed yet on MSM TV.

Full story and maps ....
BREAKING: Reports Claim ISIS Just Captured al-Asad Air Base Where 300 U.S. Marines Could Be Trapped

This is a story with various reports flying from multiple directions and it’s hard to get a grasp on exactly what’s happening. What we know at the moment is that ISIS is claiming it has seized control of the al-Asad air base in the Ramadi area of Iraq. According to multiple twitter feeds the Iraqi army has lost contact with its people inside the base. From what we can tell the 300 Marines are on location to train Iraqi military.

Via Reuters..

Islamic State insurgents took control on Thursday of most of the western Iraqi town of al-Baghdadi, threatening an air base where U.S. Marines are training Iraqi troops, officials said.

Al-Baghdadi, about 85 km (50 miles) northwest of Ramadi in Anbar province, had been besieged for months by the radical Sunni Islamist militants who captured vast swathes of Iraq’s north and west last year.

“Ninety percent of al-Baghdadi district has fallen under the control of the insurgents,” district manager Naji Arak told Reuters by phone.

Militants attacked al-Baghdadi from two directions earlier in the day and then advanced on the town, intelligence sources and officials in the Jazeera and Badiya operations commands said.

The officials said another group of insurgents then attacked the heavily-guarded Ain al-Asad air base five km southwest of the town, but were unable to break into it.

Oh Oh

+19 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I highly doubt the marines are trapped.

And as far as I am concerned, let them take the bases, cause once things start going, it will be much easier to find them if they are taking over airports and military instillation.

I am not the least bit worried about 300 marines, as they know very well how to kill and defend. If it was 5 or 10 I might be worried, 300?
ISIS is going to open a world of hurt on themselves.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Well if there is 300 marines there then they have a fight on their hands to keep that base.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Intelligence officials say Islamic State attackers have been repelled at Ain al-Asad air base, where about 320 US Marines are training Iraqi troops - @Reuters

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Looks like recent Obama's promise is already being broken: "Limited engagement, NO ENDLESS WARS."

Expect the war to go good some days, but not so good others until the will is broken on their side.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

all i can think of is those poor Iraqis is there no end to their suffering , i really do feel for them , the constant fear they must endure day in day out it's enough to drive one crazy.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Where's the "Coalition" air strikes?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Training Iraqi troops... Sounds like a bunch of wasps just trained a swarm of bees. I don't think ISIS thought this out.

+15 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This is great news for the west. We should be very close to getting what we wanted in the ME again....as many boots on the ground as it takes to "win".

And the "300 Marines" is PERFECT! It is just like the movie! And everyone knows what happened to those poor 300 when the government didn't send reinforcements in time. Americans learn everything from movies (like the US marine being so tough... only in the movies) so this should not be lost on them.

We are close to a ground war. ISN'T THAT WHAT YOU ALL WANTED?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Thousands of ISIS fighters eventually. US better put some goddamn boots and heavy equipment on the goddamn ground now! If a single one of our troops is captured and tortured the public will want Obama's head. Things are a lot worse and a lot closer to all out war than we are being told. This measles nonsense has taken everyone's mind off everything.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleClassWhiteBoy

Well to be fair he hasn't even wanted to send people over, but the public has been crying for him to do so.

So to then turn around and be mad that those troops get harmed in the process...

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Well boys....good hunting....perfect training scenario too......survivors will be graduated suma cum laude.....
320 Us Marines should be good for at least a couple battalions of shoeless wonders....er warriors....
This is just the ticket to send the rest of our boys and girls back over there....
By gawd, well destabilise the middle east properly yet!

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Am I the only one who the link is broken for?
If not maybe there's something too this.
300 us marines can handle themselves fine, here's hoping everyone is ok

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

There are tweets coming out of al-baghdadi that ISIS controls that town. The only road to the al-Asad air base goes through the town.
Also tweets that ISIS has executed Iraqi military members in the town square.
megynkelly has a report with some tweets.

edit on bu282015-02-12T19:05:23-06:0007America/ChicagoThu, 12 Feb 2015 19:05:23 -06007u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Themarkedone
Am I the only one who the link is broken for?
If not maybe there's something too this.
300 us marines can handle themselves fine, here's hoping everyone is ok

It's real slow loading for some reason.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

edit on 1222015 by Themarkedone because: multi post

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

edit on 1222015 by Themarkedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Ah my bad

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71
I highly doubt the marines are trapped.

And as far as I am concerned, let them take the bases, cause once things start going, it will be much easier to find them if they are taking over airports and military instillation.

I am not the least bit worried about 300 marines, as they know very well how to kill and defend. If it was 5 or 10 I might be worried, 300?
ISIS is going to open a world of hurt on themselves.

You cant kill an enemy you cant see.

Ask the marines how they feel about having to kill women and children all the time. Its a sick war.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join