It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Top official shot dead in Baghdad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
A senior Iraqi official, Kassim Imhawi, has been killed in a drive by shooting. Eight of the bodyguards accompanying him were also injured in the attack. Insurgents have constantly been trying to target officials of the Interim government, they see the present government as US collaborators. The UN is likely to increase it's presence within the next few weeks to help make the coming elections as smoothly as possible under the circumstances. Kofi Annan is due to meet with Colin Powell next Thursday to discuss the current situation.

news.bbc.co.uk
Gunmen have killed a senior official in Iraq's communication ministry as he was driving to work in central Baghdad.

Kassim Imhawi was hit by gunmen who pulled up beside him as he travelled into the city from a western suburb.

Mr Imhawi was director-general of the ministry and a senior adviser to the interim Iraqi government.

The killing comes days after interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi warned that insurgents were expected to increase attacks ahead of elections in January.

Eight of Mr Imhawi's bodyguard were injured in the attack, in the Jamia district of Baghdad, the Associated Press reported.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Over the past few months several senior officials in Iraq's Interim government have been killed, including a director-general in the finance ministry. As the Prime Minister has warned this violence towards senior officials is likely to continue and escalate nearing the elections.

In my opinion the attacks will not stop once the elections have taken place and may actually increase further. It is likely the attacks will never cease as there seems to be never ending supply of insurgents that wish the coalition created Iraqi government removed.

With the news that Iyad Allawi is too stand in the elections, I expect attempts on his life to take place leading up to the elections. Only time will tell.

Related News Links:
www.turkishweekly.net
news.bbc.co.uk
www.smh.com. au

[edit on 16-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I wouldn't say "never"... It may take a few years, but eventually they'll get the point that things are going to stay how they are leadership-wise whether they like it or not....

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
you sure you have the right name, the article has a different person named.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Thanks for that Skibum,not to sure how I got names mixed up. reading to many articles at once I think.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I wouldn't say "never"... It may take a few years, but eventually they'll get the point that things are going to stay how they are leadership-wise whether they like it or not....

I do see your point Gazrok, but I still believe the targeting of government officials may become less frequent but not stop. The world is plagued by small terrorist/militant groups that never seem to quite die away. The killing of officials may not get rid of a current government, but will hamper it none the less.

top topics

join