It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't Stand DRM(Digital Rights Management)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Okay so I bought a music interface(Komplete Audio 6) and was super excited to use it along with some of the new software that came along with it. It came with Cubase light version(which is the software needed to record).

So I spend two hours installing all of the software and when I get to Cubase it asks for activation code that is supposedly on sheet that is included in box.

There was no sheet.

So I say "No big deal, I'll just email the company that makes the software."

I did.

No response.

So then I said, okay, still no big deal...I'll just take the software Komplete Essentials(which is why I was excited about the software, has a bunch of sounds and soundsets) and install it on my other software.

Well with the other software you apparently have to buy their professional version to install the extra sound sets.

So now I am frustrated and just want to try the # I bought.

You know, if I had stolen all this software instead of buying it...I wouldn't have wasted four hours for nothing and be unable to use it.

Way to punish your paying customers.

Done with rant.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Had a similar issue with M-Audio hardware years ago. It didn't actually come with the software they advertised on the box.

After trying to deal with them I finally filed report with BBB accusing them of 'Bait and Switch' by advertising a product they did not actually include.

They contacted me and got me a working copy of the software. Took 2 weeks or so...

Good Luck!

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
So go download a bootleg version. You can delete it when you resolve this issue and feel no guilt.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Bad customer relations for sure but, DRM is about copy protection.

This is just a missing install code, they should have taken care of you.

Posting on here is a good start. Take em' down as best you can, it's the correct capitalist way to fix such problems.

edit on 12-2-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton
Had a similar issue with M-Audio hardware years ago. It didn't actually come with the software they advertised on the box.

After trying to deal with them I finally filed report with BBB accusing them of 'Bait and Switch' by advertising a product they did not actually include.

They contacted me and got me a working copy of the software. Took 2 weeks or so...

Good Luck!

Good for you, that's how it's done.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I understand what you are saying but in my opinion, its a non argument to say "way to punish your loyal, paying customers) and heres why:

IT WILL ALWAYS BE EASIER TO STEAL ITEMS OR PIRATE MATERIAL.

Sorry to use a car analogy, but: Lost the keys to your new digital keyed Merc? What a hassle to have to send off ID and proof of purchase and what not to get new keys when you can just smash the window or buy hacked fobs/keys.

Did they have to make that music DRM? No. But the way i see it, they did it for a reason, and that reason is that we could not be trusted not to pirate the work they asked us to pay for. Is it easier to pirate ? Yes, and it always will be.

That doesn't mean that going through the correct channels is "punishing us", even if its longer.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

I don't believe in copy protection.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Fair enough. I'm sure the artists who spend years and pour their heart and soul and time into their craft/product also don't believe that it should be copied by people too cheap and greedy to pay for it.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

originally posted by: greencmp

Fair enough. I'm sure the artists who spend years and pour their heart and soul and time into their craft/product also don't believe that it should be copied by people too cheap and greedy to pay for it.

Yeah, it didn't occur to me, I was just correcting the title. As a musician myself it kind of doesn't matter since it is nearly impossible for most folks to actually sell enough copies of anything to make a difference. Nobody is going to steal a CD from an independent band if they have an opportunity to buy one with the insert, artwork, etc.. Which is to say, if they can't find one to buy I think they have a sort of implied authorization to make a copy and encourage the recipient to get a real one if they can a la shareware. Frankly, it's free publicity as long as the artist makes copies available for sale eventually and those listeners buy it.
edit on 12-2-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Pirates don't have to deal with DRM, only loyal customers do.

Fair prices, hassle free software and service is what sells software. I have purchased on purpose many games/software that had ZERO protection because I felt they deserved my money more than the competition.

Renoise for example. Extensive free demo is available for PC/Mac/Linux and purchasing the full software is under 100$, which is much lower than other music software's. Reaper is also another great software with a great demo, only 60$ for the individual use.

Versus 900$~ Cubase...which have annoying DRM's. Actually, it's probably better to, buy it and then install the pirated version.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Luckily Sony stepped up and made Microsoft look stupid with the launch of their consoles, if not for them every Xbox one would have DRM built in, they all still do but it's just not implemented because of their bad press

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Yeah I'd bootleg it, you've already bought it. Just if you torrent it make sure your torrent clients upload ability is disabled. If you're not seeding, you're not sharing and can't be prosecuted as you're not doing anything illegal.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TheMadTitan

See that's the thing. I am such a pansy wansy law abider I don't even know how to do any of that.

I will have to look into this because as it is they still haven't answered my email.

Either way I got my old software out with no interesting soundsets and will have to make do until I can figure out how to do the download thingy or until they answer my email, whichever comes first.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Hopefully they will answer you buddy. That sucks...not being able to play with your new toy.

new topics

top topics

join