It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoot or don't shoot: Police scenarios prove eye-opening for civil rights leaders

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: EternalSolace
Depends if you mean spoken about by the Media or spoken about by Civil Rights Activists.

The two go hand in hand...there is no difference anymore.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

That's actually a valid concern, although the vast vast vast vast vast majority of incidences that result in an LEO discharging their firearm against another human being are justified instances (i.e.: The person was armed, dangerous, and threatening the life of the officer or an innocent civilian).

You can't really put an officer in that situation, because that's not the type of individual that they are--it takes a certain amount of stupid to act that way that I don't think the vast vast vast vast vast majority of LEOs have. But don't get me wrong...there are certainly some, and we see them in the news when they are too aggressive and kill someone unjustifiably.

On the other hand, it's easy to put someone into a scenario that an officer can face any minute of any day of his/her shift, give them minimal training, and see how they react. The point is to show the average, anti-cop person that the job of an LEO is not as easy as the activists' 20/20 hindsight vision makes it out to be. It's easy to show how a human--any human, even a trained LEO--can lose control of the situation fast and simply react in the most effective defensive option that they have (their firearm).

Training doesn't turn someone into an adrenaline-less, emotionless, omniscient being that can predict scenarios and react with programmed-robotic efficiency. The problem is that many civilians seem to believe this to actually be the effect of training, and that is an ignorant belief. You can have all the training in the world, but the majority of it can immediately go out the window in a stressful, potentially life-threatening situation. Training often works well, which is why we don't see 1,000 stories per day of officers killing people, even though we have about 248 LEOs per 100,000 people in the U.S.

If training didn't work, we'd all be pretty much dead by now. I would have been shot 10 times over for the things I did in high school that involved officers. But I wasn't.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
a reply to: MisterSpock

I get that anything that doesn't fit a certain agenda MUST be propaganda.

However, it was less than 2 months ago that when the results of this same exercise done by police were revealed, the results were similar and all these same liberal voices were screaming that it was proof of police racism.

Some people need to learn to admit when their wrong, apologize, and move on.

HA ha, lol, I meant to say "scream propaganda when your race cards are all played out".

I'm far from one to scream propaganda any time I feel the need to offset my views on a topic. My problem with this is the intent behind it. I'm fine with legitimate uses of deadly force by police in dangerous situations. What I'm not fine with is events like the one in the OP article attempting to be used to downplay incidences like this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Which I'm pretty sure is the REAL intent behind these types of PR stunts by law enforcement. They(LE) aren't looking for ways to prevent they above from happening. They are just looking for ways to get people to stop questioning them.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey
My view on LEO is rant worthy so I'll bottom line it for you. I don't believe LEO are trained to handle the public as we are. Mentel Health issues or disabilities that result is difficulty communicating actually needs more attention.

That being said I wouldn't do this job so, I think of all the reasons why that os when these tradgaties occur. The people getting paid need the training. It should not only be the community making changes.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolaceAll the training in the world doesn't help when put into a position where a split second call has to be made. It doesn't matter who you are, where you came from, or how well you're trained, you're going to do what you need to do in an attempt to survive.

Rookie cop's body-camera records the horrifying moment a man pulled a gun on him and shot him dead... just moments after they chatted amicably

What I am going to say is not going to be popular, but its no less true.

Law enforcement is a dangerous career. Those that choose to enter into it do so knowing the risks of the job. That being what it is, they need to realize that by choosing that career path, they have in essence willingly given up the luxury of being able to protect themselves before the populace. Sorry, but thems the breaks. The reason for that is that you can't take back a bad decision. Sure, I realize that my stance puts officers at risk, but that is part of the job they signed up for. You can't take that position and then cry that there is inherent risk. It takes a special kind of person to do that job, and not just anyone can or should be allowed to. Those that can't come to terms with the risks should simply not sign up to do so.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join