It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life on Mars was ‘destroyed by nuclear attack’, says physicist – and we could be next

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I think I'll go with a more basic guess. If Mars had a magnetic field from say a molten iron outer core like earth's, then when/if it stopped rotating, it would mean the magnetic field would degrade. Hence, more cosmic rays and other nasty stuff hitting the planet. The atmosphere now would be blown away by solar wind, so we would end up with low atmosphere that is being bombarded by radioactive particles giving similar readings to those from a nuclear blast. Craters are caused by impacts, end of story. But, I could be wrong, there might have been a massive war over say, an alien who didn't want to share his cigarette lighter with the natives

edit on 14-2-2015 by greatfriendbadfoe because: left "out by solar wind"

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
One half of Mars looks (relatively) as if had been hit with buckshot. That would suggest a catastrophic meteor shower/strike, or perhaps a large object struck a moon that Mars once had.

To suggest nukes is a shot in the dark. There is virtually no evidence of that, let alone of intelligent life.

We may as well surmise that Ray Bradbury wrote from experience lol

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

but Brandenberg believes that the planet may have been killed by another civilisation or even a rogue artificial intelligence.

Jesus man, as if we didn't already have enough to worry about with violent psychopaths running crazy on the Earth!

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

We could end up being the next mars if we blow ourselves to kingdom come.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: SheopleNation

Love your pic you're using there for the 'avatar" or whatever it is called...

I like the 'Death Star" scenario. Our clue COULD BE Iepetus.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677
One half of Mars looks (relatively) as if had been hit with buckshot. That would suggest a catastrophic meteor shower/strike, or perhaps a large object struck a moon that Mars once had.

To suggest nukes is a shot in the dark. There is virtually no evidence of that, let alone of intelligent life.

We may as well surmise that Ray Bradbury wrote from experience lol

OR the planet Mars was orbiting,,(not my theory, Velikovsky's) blew up and that part of the moon Mars was facing it would fit too. I love Ray's work. Fahrenheit 451 seems a worthy read and his imagination captured mine, STAR for you sir!
edit on 15-2-2015 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: greatfriendbadfoe

Another interesting possibility is Mars' gravity was too weak to hold the atmosphere after the event and it slowly escaped. But that would mean we wouldn't be able to terraform it with our current understanding and technology our governments have been willing to share at least.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Most of our meteorite samples are pieces of asteroids. The Irons being parts of cores, Pallasites parts of mantles and achondrites/euchrites from crustal rock. I think this shows what you have suggested, that the asteroid belt is most likely born out of a giant cataclysm involving 2 or more early planets. How else could these materials have formed like this on their own in such a small relative size?

Chondrites (stones) may be primordial, since they show evidence of being built up by cemented primitive particles (chondrules).

edit on 15-2-2015 by charlyv because: content

edit on 15-2-2015 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: game over man
I'm not sure why so many people think intelligent humanoid life would evolve on Mars faster than Earth. I'm pretty sure it has been determined that Mars had an atmosphere for only the first 500 million years. I don't think any native life would evolve to intelligent beings in that relatively short amount of time.

Perhaps they never invented the television..

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation

originally posted by: PorteurDeMort
Wasn't there a thread on this a while back or am I experiencing deja vu?

Yes but that was like six weeks ago

And this was like 6 weeks before that

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

originally posted by: olaru12
earthweareone.com...

A respected physicist and author, John Brandenberg, has claimed that intelligent life once flourished on Mars – but was annihilated by a nuclear attack so intense it left the planet cold and lifeless.

The author has urged that a human mission to the planet be mounted immediately – in case we are in danger from the attackers who ‘killed’ Mars.

Brandenberg said that many of the nuclear isotopes in Mars’s atmosphere ‘resemble those from hydrogen bombs on Earth’ and hypotheses in a new book, ‘Death on Mars’, that a humanoid race once lived there but was wiped out.

This seems a bit far fetched. I would like to see Mr. Brandenbergs data.

It is far-fetched. Brandenburg doesn't actually make that claim. link

Harte

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

It seems that no one wants to talk about the giant volcano in the room...

Olympus Mons is three times the height of Everest and the fact that it has a calderas suggests that is was once active. When Krakatoa erupted it was heard almost three thousands miles away and sent shockwaves around the globe-and when Mt. Tambora erupted it was blamed for the 'year without a summer' where temperatures dropped and crops failed worldwide.

Olympus Mons is far larger than Krakatoa and Mt. Tambora-If it blew it's stack then everything in it's vicinity would've been flattened-it would've looked like a nuke was dropped. Then there's the ash that would've dispersed in the atmosphere; The ejecta from a volcano on earth can spread around the globe, imagine the effects on a smaller planet with a much larger volcano.

TBH that scenario seems much more plausible than nuclear annihilation, but then again I'm not a physicist.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
there was something on spirit science on this. supposedly the martians were very left-brain, ergo very technologically advanced but also very masculine in their personality. they escaped nuclear annihiliation via synthetic merkabah (an electromagnetic field that functions somewhat like the TARDIS) and landed in lemuria (general oceanic region of hawaii) around 5500 or so. allegedly.

Seems totally legit to me.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Mars being smaller than Earth, it's atmosphere can be disrupted and blown out to space more easily. Apparently, from all that I've seen and read, Mars did once have an atmosphere conducive to life as we know it on Earth. The usual theory is that the planet that formed the asteroid belt threw debris out towards Mars that blew off the atmosphere, but there could be other reasons.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

The 50 megaton bomb that Russia tested reached high enough that they were concerned that it might destroy Earth's atmosphere. It was soon after that, that above ground testing was stopped.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

It's an H-bomb. And yes, it's devastating...

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
This has already been posted

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: sorgfelt
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Mars being smaller than Earth, it's atmosphere can be disrupted and blown out to space more easily. Apparently, from all that I've seen and read, Mars did once have an atmosphere conducive to life as we know it on Earth. The usual theory is that the planet that formed the asteroid belt threw debris out towards Mars that blew off the atmosphere, but there could be other reasons.

Further theory on that line also suggests that Mars was not a victim, but part of the process that created the asteroid belt. The asteroid belt may have involved more than the collision of 2 planets, and Mars may have taken a glancing blow not powerful enough to destroy it, but enough to destroy a smaller planet that hit it, and certainly cause total annihilation of one of it's hemispheres, dragging Phobos and Dactyl out of the conflagration and taking them on as moons.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Its actually becoming a very intricate fractal.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join