It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taking My Shepherds for Herding Instinct Tests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Many herding aficionados have access to livestock, such as sheep, goats and ducks, so herding breeds can herd as a sport. They have training and competitions. Here's a competition at the Iowa State Fair.

Well, to get started, one takes their dog for a "Herding Instinct Test", which is usually a LOT of fun for the dog.

Here's a GSD doing the test.

While I'm not interested in competition, I am taking my two GSDs for herding tests next weekend! They're going to have so much fun! Me, too! I'll be taking pictures and video.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Nice to see these beautiful animals do what they were born to do.

I would love to watch our Corgi take a run at it.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Nice to see these beautiful animals do what they were born to do.

I would love to watch our Corgi take a run at it.

When I had my wolves it was always a thrill to see Momma (Shelby) chase trains.

Sheep...Don't think I would have turned them loose on those.

Looks like a fun time for you and your buddies. Good Luck!

Peace

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

My favorite dog. What beauties. I just laid my Shepherd to rest last Friday. The thought of watching her participating in this warms even this frozen heart. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

So sorry you lost your baby. What a painful thing to deal with.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Good luck! I've done a few HITs(with german shepherds and border collies) and my dogs had a blast.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

My Pharaoh hound, Xerxes, got his herding instinct cert a while back. He didn't really want to stop chasing. But the coolest dog there was a GSD that "got it" after about 2 seconds in the pen. You could actually see his eyes change when he realized what he was doing. He didn't even have to move a lot, just change the angle of his body and he could control the movement of the sheep. The test giver actually let the GSD have his own head, which was completely different than every other dog involved in the trial.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Very cool. B'asia never really understood what she was doing in the ring. She was very smart, but a bit insecure and just followed my husband around. Jaia got it right away, though! We were very proud of him!

new topics

top topics

join