It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Team Obama Misrepresenting the Violent Crime Stats?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Answer? Most likely. This Administration has been a train-wreck from the start, and Team Obama and Eric Holder have always been more worried about their "legacy" that the average citizen's safety. (The FBI works under the Dept. of Justice.):

www.fbi.gov...
FBI RELEASES PRELIMINARY, SEMI-ANNUAL CRIME STATISTICS
This says Violent Crime is down 6%-10% across the nation, compared to the same time in 2013.

How is this possible? Because felonies are routinely downgraded to minor charges with wording of "Mischief" or "Negligence" - especially for celebrities and Power Couples, who pay a small penalty and walk away, totally free.

By way of example, let's start with Los Angeles, where most officials want citizens to feel safe after California's Supreme Court "ordered" prisoners released from their over-crowded prisons:

www.latimes.com...=1
LAPD MISCLASSIFIED NEARLY 1,200 VIOLENT CRIMES AS MINOR OFFENSES

There are even law firms for "convicted felons," bragging that they can reduce their felony conviction to a misdemeanor.

www.shouselaw.com...
REDUCING FELONY CONVICTIONS TO MISDEMEANORS

So the FBI/DoJ's "Violent Crime" stats are totally worthless, in relation to violent crimes committed - and then reduced to just misdemeanors to skew the stats toward a downward trend.
edit on 12-2-2015 by MKMoniker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MKMoniker Are there any stats we could really believe in, coming from this administration? Every bit of information that is shared with the general public is shared with a purpose - to make voters feel or think a certain way.

Violent crime stats are probably manipulated more than a lot of other stats, but it's right up there with unemployment and inflation - it's all a numbers game and they tweak it to suit their agendas.

edit on 12-2-2015 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: MKMoniker

Enh....not a fan of Holder or Holder's DOJ, but in the interest of fairness, it's not the FBI and DOJ that are downgrading the crimes, it's local authorities. The FBI publishes what is reported, after they collect the stats.

Don't think it's really fair to imply the FBI is contacting Podunk, Iowa and telling them to downgrade violent felonies to misdemeanor charges so Holder looks good.
edit on 12-2-2015 by Shamrock6 because: typo

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

LAPD MISCLASSIFIED NEARLY 1,200 VIOLENT CRIMES AS MINOR OFFENSES

Whose fault is that? Obama's or Holder's?

REDUCING FELONY CONVICTIONS TO MISDEMEANORS

So California law firms promising to get convictions reduced to misdemeanors sprang into existence last year? Does the FBI update statistics for previous years if these legal actions prove fruitful?

While I don't doubt that there's always a risk of individual police departments underreporting statistics, why would this be the fault of the FBI (and the DoJ and Holder) and how/why was the potential for this to occur greater in 2014 than it was in 2013?

This says Violent Crime is down 6%-10% across the nation, compared to the same time in 2013.

Are you misrepresenting the data yourself? This is the single paragraph summary for all violent crime from the FBI:

All the offenses in the violent crime category—murder and non-negligent manslaughter, rape (revised definition), aggravated assault, and robbery—showed decreases when data from the first six months of 2014 were compared with data from the first six months of 2013. The number of murders declined 6.0 percent, the number of rapes (revised definition) declined 10.1 percent, aggravated assaults decreased 1.6 percent, and robbery offenses decreased 10.3 percent.

So there's a revised definition for rape as well which specifies penetration. Quite a few paragraphs dedicated to this in the press release.
edit on 2015-2-12 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Enh....not a fan of Holder or Holder's DOJ, but in the interest of fairness, it's not the FBI and DOJ that are downgraded the crimes, it's local authorities. The FBI publishes what is reported, after they collect the stats.

Local authorities...

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Thanks for your post. I agree!

Trainwreck Obama has been manipulating stats for years, to cover-up the damage done. Next to Violent Crime stats, their Labor/Employment stats are also a joke. "Total Unemployed As Adjusted For... " is their favorite term.

www.forbes.com...
AFTER 5 YEARS OF "OBAMANOMICS", A RECORD 100 MILLION AMERICANS NOT WORKING

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

How many of the "record 100 million" are children? Isn't there something like 70 million people in the US 17 and under?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Good post! Thanks for the correction.

Although I'd think the FBI/DoJ would start checking, when murders go up - and all the murderers are charged with something like "Accidental Fatality". (Yeah, fatally-falling-on-knives is near epidemic proportions ...)

www.jsonline.com...
(2012) CASE STUDIES SHOW PATTERN OF DOWNGRADED VIOLENT CRIMES IN MILWAUKEE
Like in Milwaukee, all you have to do is change "aggravated assault" to "simple assault," or define a serious weapon used in an attack as just "other," for a serious crime to dodge being recorded as a Violent Crime.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Thanks for your post. As the 2012 Milwaukee article I posted above, proves that "downgrading" violent crimes to just misdemeanors to keep Violent Crime stats low, has been going on for awhile all over the country. If no one in Holder's DoJ noticed or investigated this trend ... I'm not surprised.

This is the same Administration that let key agencies go for years without an in-house Inspector General. Hillary's State Dept. didn't have an official IG the entire four years she was there. And even when Team Obama got around to filling those IQ slots, they impeded/hindered the IG investigations!

www.washingtonexaminer.com...
WATCHDOGS OR LAPDOGS? AN IG SYSTEM MEANT TO PROTECT THE PUBLIC IS STONEWALLED BY TEAM OBAMA

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Lol "Total unemployment as adjusted for..." IS their favorite term. I made a thread about this like 3 days ago, discussing how they manipulate inflation, unemployment, the USD index and even the precious metals markets, all just to prop up the dollar artificially.

Great post my friend. Not everyone is fooled by their numeric trickery
ha! a reply to: MKMoniker

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: MKMoniker

Thanks for your post. I agree!

Trainwreck Obama has been manipulating stats for years, to cover-up the damage done. Next to Violent Crime stats, their Labor/Employment stats are also a joke. "Total Unemployed As Adjusted For... " is their favorite term.

www.forbes.com...
AFTER 5 YEARS OF "OBAMANOMICS", A RECORD 100 MILLION AMERICANS NOT WORKING

You're misrepresenting data again. U3 isn't a new item in the table of the various measures of unemployment used by the BLS that came along with Obama. Ferrara is tossing out the U6 number at the beginning because he's counting on people being ignorant of the BLS stats.

Peter Ferrara is a lawyer, not an economist and he's also a paid shill for the Heartland Institute with a pretty obvious agenda:

"But because I can think for myself, apparently unlike readers of the New York Times, given the results of recent New York City elections"

"How about under Obamacare “if you like your health plan, you can keep your health plan. Period.” That was labelled even by the Democrat controlled media as the lie of the year"

What do the election of Bill de Blasio or Obama's "you can keep your health plan" lie about the ACA have to do with what is ostensibly the topic of his opinion piece (unemployment)? This is where he really shows his true colors: "the Democrat controlled media." Pushing the myth of the liberal control of media. Peter Ferrara is not only a shill, he's a clown.

"Too bad only Nobel Prize winning libertarians Friedrich Hayek and Milton Friedman figured that out before the 1970s, which could have saved America trillions, real money back then)."

Yea yea we get it, he loves him some Hayek and Friedman. Wonderful, but that's all wild speculation. I think it's also interesting that he makes a point of saying, "Nobel Prize winning" before Hayek and Friedman but neglects to mention that Paul Krugman won a Nobel Prize in Economics in 2008.
edit on 2015-2-12 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Thanks!

This is like the dust-up in Labor in Obama's first term, where reporters waiting for the monthly Unemployment figures had to go into the Labor Dept. and write their stories ON Labor's computers!

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Op why ask a question in your tittle then offer us the supossed answer, violent crimes in the usa have been going down since the 80s, plz check double check your numbers with different sites.

All uyou are doing is paroting numbers from anti obumer sites.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

[SNIP]

Trying to discredit the source is a time-honored way to try and make the public dismiss what the source said.

And as far as Nobel awards, the biggest recent joke was giving Obama the Nobel Peace Prize ...

edit on 2/12/2015 by kosmicjack because: removed ill-mannered name calling

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Violent crime is going down in the UK also.

www.bbc.co.uk...

The reasons they state here is booze costs to much in pubs and less young folk are drinking, but I will add that computer games also have a little part to play also.
People are staying in venting their angst through gaming.
Plus the green plant makes people less violent which is now legal in some states in the US.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: MKMoniker

Speaking of shills ...

Trying to discredit the source is a time-honored way to try and make the public dismiss what the source said.

And as far as Nobel awards, the biggest recent joke was giving Obama the Nobel Peace Prize ...

Because the Nobel Peace Prize and the Nobel Prize in Economics are equatable? So are Friedman and Hayek's Nobel Prizes equally worthless?

As for Peter Ferrara being a shill. His opinion has always been for sale:

Op-Eds for Sale:

"NAIVE PURITY STANDARD." Bandow isn't the only think-tanker to have received payments from Abramoff for writing articles. Peter Ferrara, a senior policy adviser at the conservative Institute for Policy Innovation, says he, too, took money from Abramoff to write op-ed pieces boosting the lobbyist's clients. "I do that all the time," Ferrara says. "I've done that in the past, and I'll do it in the future."

Ferrara, who has been an influential conservative voice on Social Security reform, among other issues, says he doesn't see a conflict of interest in taking undisclosed money to write op-ed pieces because his columns never violated his ideological principles.

It's not an ad hominem attack when you are questioning a person's authority to offer opinions on a specific subject.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
"Team Obama"? Wouldn't a more apt term be "Team American Government"? Let's call it for what it is, our government has been lying to us way before Obama came into office. Republican, democrat, they're all the same.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Crime "statistically" has been going down. And police have been "leveraging the technology" with Hot-Spots defined and everywhere-surveillance. And most police cars now come with hidden "plate readers" that go straight to PD headquarters computers. And states have been rewriting laws for non-violent drug offenders to go to rehab in their communities, than to prison.

But if you read my linked-to articles, a substantial portion of the drop is attributed to downgrading felony charges to misdemeanors, and reporting dangerous weapons as "Other" in reports.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
(Oct. 2014) IT'S CLEAR CRIME IS DECREASING - BUT LESS CLEAR WHY

Here's the "why" ...

www.thenewamerican.com...
(March 2013) "CONCEALED-CARRY" GUN PERMITS UP IN FLORIDA - VIOLENT CRIME IS DOWN

This is also what finally brought down Chicago's murder rate. The police weren't doing anything that different - but the City passed "Concealed-Carry" laws!

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

And just to throw oil on the fire - here is how one local police officer is using all this confusion to HIS benefit - after having been nationally outed as the chief in charge of police in the American city with the 2nd highest crime rate - www.usatoday.com...

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics" - Mark Twain

So we have been seeing these reports being pushed out by some private companies regarding Medford's "soaring" violent crime rate and wanted to share what is really going on.

Medford Police are busy, but things are not quite as scary as some reports make them seem. When Medford began popping up on all of these reports, we took a good look at our numbers to see what was going on. First off, we live in a city where people report crime because there is a solid trust between the community and the Police. If we lived in a city where crime occurred but was not reported, because of a poor relationship or a lack of law enforcement to take the report, things would be much worse.

Secondly, we found that our reported "Aggravated Assaults" were higher than others. Oregon does not have an "Aggravated Assault" law so we classify certain crimes that we believe would fit into the FBI's definition. We found we were over reporting some crimes as Aggravated Assault and have since made the correction. We will continue to make additional corrections for prior years but these corrections will not show until the studies begin coming out for 2014.

In taking a look at 2014, we did not record a murder. In fact, Robbery, Assault and Burglary were all down from 2013. Theft is, and was, our most reported crime which is fueled by the drug problem we have in our community. That my friends, is the biggest issue we are facing.

The bottom line is that statistics are not always what they seem and we live in a great community. There is no other place that we would rather be Police Officers, we like it right here. Thanks for all your support, thanks for calling us, thanks for reporting crime.

Tim George
Police Chief

www.ci.medford.or.us...

That was his official explanation, on his official city web page recently. So yes, those localities ARE responsible for the beginning of the data stream nightmare. They define their incidents according to one set of criteria, send those numbers off to the FBI, who then has to recode the incident into FBI speak.

As a 9-1-1 dispatch supervisor, this was my job. I collected the numbers from our calls for service. I filled out the lines on the UCR forms, the LEOKA forms, all the forms. AND I spend 3 days with an FBI suit in the backest back water in Alaska while he edited my work, brought our reporting into FBI speak, and made sure that everything that I sent was ship shape and Bristol fashion.

So I feel Chief George - and by extension all local officers who conveniently claim ignorance in what is a massively confusing, lumbersome, ridiculous bureaucratic nightmare - are being disingenuous. If the FBI could send a suit and briefcase all the way to Bush Alaska ... they can find Medford Oregon.

This is a boondoggle of epic proportions. The computer systems involved, the classifications of crimes, the attempt to integrate thousands of individual systems into one massive LEO interoperability megalith...there is absolutely no way that crime statistics are anywhere near representational of real life blood, death, and destruction. All they do is contribute statistics to both sides of the argument. Literally - you can find a crime statistic to prove whatever point you want. So why do we continue to get them as 'necessary information?'

Cause while we argue over statistics, we aren't questioning what, why or how they are doing things today...which we won't know about until the NEXT set of 'statistics'. And I helped.
edit on 12-2-2015 by cronemel because: Added link to original USA Today crime rate story

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
" Is Team Obama Misrepresenting the Violent Crime Stats? "

Of course they *ARE*

How else can they divert the heat away from the high crime Democrat voting pockets?

failures never cease.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join