It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gamergate and Cyber Bullying

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Our perceptions aren't necessarily wrong

If my eyes are broken, and i see blue as red, and i assert that the sky is red, my perception is wrong.

I still see more harm than good coming from it.

You still haven't presented any examples of this harm you keep talking about..

I just don't think the other links/articles are wrong either or full of inaccuracies.

ORLY?

I don't know why I'm wasting my time doing this...I've been meaning to play The Order: 1886, since I got it, almost two bloody weeks ago...If i'm honest, I'd really rather be playing that...oh f**k it, tomorrow's another day...

Let's start with newsweek... FML.

OK, so the article starts off with an image of Anita Sarkeesian...there's red flag number one. She has literally NOTHING to do with GG...

If you haven’t heard of #GamerGate, lucky you. If you have, and you have an opinion about it, you probably fall into one of two camps. You’re in the camp that thinks it’s a Web-based movement of gamers upset about a perceived lack of ethics among video games journalists. Or you’re in the camp that thinks it’s a Web-based campaign of harassment against women who make, write about and enjoy video games, masquerading as a movement of gamers upset about a perceived lack of ethics among games journalists.

So, right away, we start with the implication that if you haven't heard of GG, then you're lucky. Yes, let's bury our heads in the sand, and ignore the gaming industry publications that are lying to us, and using their positions as trusted advisors, to fool us into buying things...despite the all-too-real possibility that the product they're shilling may have been produced, and/or developed, in full, or in part, by someone that the author of the article is going out with, married to, having sex with, living with, or is very good friends with. Let us similarly ignore the possibility that the developer paid them a tremendous amount of money, or bribed them with considerations, in exchange for a positive review. Oh, and let's not forget to ignore the possibility that they're all colluding with one another to push a manufactured narrative, that defames an entire cultural demographic... Paying attention to those things isn't important at all.. AMIRITE?

And then they say "if you have heard of it, we're going to assume you fall into one of these two groups"..completely ignoring reality....talking about how the question of the ethics is nothing more than a "perceived" problem, instead of an actual one..

This is off to a WONDERFUL start...but it gets better..

The movement, insofar as a group of people obsessively complaining about something on Twitter deserves to be called a movement, claims that whatever sexism or misogyny exists within its ranks is the fault of outliers. The real GamerGate is about media ethics, they say.

Yes, let's mischaracterize, and ridicule...because that's ALWAYS the classy approach, right newsweek?

Right, so, firstly, it's not a "movement", it is a consumer revolt. There is a difference. Movements have structure, organization, and one or more leaders...consumer revolts are far more amorphous...it's generally a majority within a market, that consists of like-minded consumers within that market and/or demographic..

And then we have the mocking....let's minimize this, by characterizing it as just a bunch of losers, whining on twitter.....let's completely ignore EVERY OTHER FRONT this is taking place in....twitter is all that exists.. Jesus, what a joke.

And no, we're not saying that sexism and abuse is the fault of outliers....we're saying that they're not affiliated with us, and do not speak for us. Jackasses and trolls have existed since the days of UseNet...

But an analysis by Newsweek found that Twitter users tweeting the hashtag #GamerGate direct negative tweets at critics of the gaming world more than they do at the journalists whose coverage they supposedly want scrutinized.

Oh, yes, let us talk about this oh-so scientific analysis....

The claim that GamerGate is not a campaign to harass women—but rather advocacy for better journalism—has had some pull. This claim was used to harass Intel into pulling ads from popular gaming website Gamasutra after journalist Leigh Alexander wrote an essay there critiquing the gaming world. “‘Game culture’ as we know it is kind of embarrassing—it’s not even culture,” Alexander wrote in August. “It’s just buying things, spackling over memes and in-jokes repeatedly, and getting mad on the Internet.”

"harass Intel"....riiiiight...

It was a letter-writing campaign, that informed Intel of the anti-gamer message being vomited by Leigh Alexander...

These morons act as if letter-writing campaigns to advertisers didn't exist before GG...I'm sure Howard Stern would disagree with that assessment...

Referring to Leigh Alexander as a journalist is kinda laughable, given that she's little more than an biased, opinion-driven hack...I love how newsweek tries to minimize the tone, tenor, message, and impact of her "gamers are dead" article, referring to it as merely "an essay critiquing the gaming world", when, in actuality, it was a venomous, hate-filled assault on gamers, and the associated culture, based on little more than personal opinions, and infantile stereotypes...you should read it, it's quite telling....

She urged game developers to pay less attention to the demands of gamers.

Right, because f**k your customers....it's not as if they're giving you money, or anything.. It's not as if your entire business model is predicated upon, and depends entirely upon their continued patronage....why should you care what your customers want...let's do what Leigh wants... -rolls eyes-

Instead, gamers pressured advertisers to pull their dollars from the site.

Yes, because letting a company know that they're advertising on a site that's saying things that may not be in line with their business interests, constitutes "pressuring"...I love the manipulative language, don't you?

Cont. in next post
edit on 3-6-2015 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Cont. from last

The same tactic was used to pressure Adobe to cancel its sponsorship of Gawker Media. Mercedes-Benz USA also temporarily pulled ads from Gawker Media after a reporter there made mocking tweets about gamers. The move has cost Gawker Media CEO Nick Denton and company “thousands of dollars already, and potentially...thousands more, if not millions,” according to Max Read, Gawker’s editor-in-chief.

Oh yeah, smell that bulls**t? No? Well, allow me to expose it a bit better, that you might take the stench in, at it's fullest...

The "reporter" in question, is none other than Sam Biddle, a senior writer for Gawker. Again, newsweek plays the damage control game, by using manipulative language, in an attempt to minimize what was done, to make it sound as if GG are the ones being unreasonable. He tweeted: "Ultimately #GamerGate is reaffirming what we’ve known to be true for decades: nerds should be constantly shamed and degraded into submission", and "Bring Back Bullying". These are not simply "mocking tweets"...If i had a large corporation, I sure as hell wouldn't want to advertise on sites, with people spewing that kind of hateful crap, would you? So these nasty statements led to a letter-writing campaign to Gawker advertising partners, that was later designated "Operation Baby Seal".

Biddle later apologized for these statements, but it was later found that the apology was insincere, and was only done as damage control, because Gawker was receiving heat for it.

I mean, it's insulting to people's intelligence, when he comes on and says "oh, it was just a joke, it was supposed to be funny" ....as if advocating bullying is, in any way, funny... As the recipient of gratuitous bullying in my younger years, I can say, with authority, it was not funny...not even a little. The man is an asshole, and completely full of s**t...

GamerGate is largely playing out on Twitter, and if the movement is about ethics in games journalism, logic says the majority of tweets on the #GamerGate hashtag should be directed at games journalists and their employers and not at game developers.

Jesus, they're just making this too easy....when they telegraph moves like this.. -sigh-

So now we come to the super scientific analysis...

Developers naturally try to woo the journalists who cover their games, but it’s not their job to police journalists for ethics. It’s up to journalists, and their bosses, to maintain ethical standards.

Ya' know.....this is about the most truthful thing in the whole article...

Sorry.....to the analysis..

So, is GamerGate really about ethics in journalism? Newsweek asked BrandWatch, a social media analytics company, to dig through the more than 2 million tweets about GamerGate since September 1 discover how often Twitter users tweeted at or about the major players in the debate, and whether those tweets were positive, negative or neutral. BrandWatch sampled 25 percent of tweets—what it considers a reflective amount of data—on the hashtag #GamerGate from Sept. 1 to Oct. 23.

Using an algorithm that looks for positive and negative words, BrandWatch found most tweets were neutral in sentiment.

Ok, so over two-million tweets under the GG tag, at the time this article was written(the number has increased substantially since then)...and for their super-definitive analysis, they have a company look at a sampling of them from a roughly two month period, of which this company only samples twenty-five percent......so a small percentage of a small percentage...and this is supposed to be representative of all activity under that tag? Please.

They go on to talk about an algorithm, that they won't discuss the inner workings of, that decides if something is positive or negative....because that's totally trustworthy...

Can you see how absolutely laughable this is?

This article actually does a really good job of dissecting this analysis, and everything that's wrong with it....it is deliberately deceptive.

It's worth mentioning that they only mentioned a few people...if they mentioned others, like Patricia Hernandez at kotaku, Kyle Orland at Ars Technica, or Ben Kuchera at Polygon, they'd hafta actually talk about them, and that wouldn't do their hit piece any favors.

Oh, and then there's this:

The discrepancies there seem to suggest GamerGaters cares less about ethics and more about harassing women.

Well, yeah, sure, if you twist the s**t out of the data, you can make it appear any way you want...

Cont. in next post
edit on 3-6-2015 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Cont from last

So I had to laugh when I read this:

Totilo has received 1,708 tweets since September 1—more than Grayson but fewer than Leigh Alexander. Alexander got 13,296 tweets, nearly eight times as many as Totilo. And Alexander’s only crime was writing an op-ed critical of so-called gaming culture—GamerGate hasn’t even accused her of any malfeasance.

Because it's complete bulls**t..... Alexander is one of the worst offenders, and that hasn't gone unnoticed by GG....

She's said on the record, that she biased. And multiple examples of conflicts of interest, and unethical behavior have been presented. You can check all of those out here

I almost forgot about this:

In the following graphic, compare how often GamerGaters tweet at Zoe Quinn, a developer, and Nathan Grayson, a Kotaku games journalist. In August, GamerGaters accused Grayson of giving Quinn’s game Depression Quest favorable reviews because Grayson and Quinn had been in a relationship. The relationship was fact, those ‘favorable reviews’ were fiction. Grayson only wrote about Quinn once, for a story on a failed reality show, and that was before they were in a relationship, according to Stephen Totilo, the editor-in-chief of Kotaku and Grayson’s boss.

This is factually inaccurate...Grayson wrote about Quinn TWICE....Once, when he was writing for RPS, and once for Kotaku...In the RPS article, he name-drops Depression Quest, calls it a "powerful Twine darling", and even goes so far as to use a screenshot from Depression Quest, as the lone graphic for the article, despite the article being about 49 other games, in addition to DQ....naw, doesn't seem like favorable coverage, or bias at all....

You can check out the rest of HIS misconduct here

This article is a hit piece...it's full of inaccuracies, twisted data, and outright lies...

the rest of the articles in your list, are very similarly dishonest, and misleading....except that blog post...

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   
To further accentuate the actual bullies.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: c0gN1t1v3D1ss0nanC3

I don't see that I made the case for a culture against women. I simply pointed out that gender was part of the issue.

From what I've seen, most gamer dudes love gamer chicks, and many of them do so to an absurd level

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Here's Sark on Cobert-Is she straight up lying? You be the judge.

www.youtube.com...

Next up. Why does gamergate use codes to refer to the women they target. LW1 = Quinn, LW2 = Sarkeesian, LW3 = Wu.? I dont' have time to cite everything for you guys. Learn to use google.

Next I wonder why gamergate is mainly targeting indie developers and not Ubisoft or Rockstar or EA or

Next it seems that NOTyourshield or whatever its called, is an actual shield? Yes?

Why is social Justice Warrior a negative term? How is that related to ethics in journalism?

I've been to over twenty different websites and blogs and articles in that last half hour. I've seen hundreds of horrible tweets, screenshots, posts, comments directed at women. I've seen rape threats and insults and people calling sark a C*** who claim to be representing gamergate. That's really mature.

All I see is BS when I look at gamergate.

In fact it hurts me to write any word with the word gate at the end but I did it for you guys.

Gamergate is just a haven for women haters who are afraid that their big boobed vixens are going to be taken out of their games.

On a side note, I love games like dead or alive, even with all the misogyny. But I've got news for you. Those games will still sell, you don't have anything to worry about. I also downloaded Revolution 60 this morning so I could see what that game was about. Not bad, normal Ipad time wasting game, good for wasting a few minutes. I give it a 6 out of 10 mainly because I didn't like the game mechanics. Although, I'm thinking that a console or PC port could be much better. How's that for ethics in journalism. I didn't even sleep with her.

This article actually articulates many of my points better than I ever could. I don't get my point across very well and I get stuck in little details.

Try this.

www.trustinplay.com...

edit on 6-3-2015 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

And you're only seeing what you want to see.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows

And you're only seeing what you want to see.

AS are you my friend, as are you.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Not so much.
I'm involved in it.
I know myself.
I know my peers.
I know how I respond, I watch how my peers respond.
You know nothing but a bs narrative fed to you.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

Nice chart but it still doesn't prove anything.

You said Not so much. I say were very similar although I think my perception is closer to reality than yours.
You said I'm involved in it. I say I am to. I play games all the time. I know gamers. I'm heavily involved in anti bullying, online harassment and feminism as well.
You said I know myself. I say, I know my self just as well.
You said I know my peers. I say, I know my peers just as well.
You said I know how I respond, I watch how my peers respond. I say I know how I respond as well and I know how my peers respond.
You said. You know nothing but a bs narrative fed to you. I say the same back at you. You're being fed a narrative from gamergate that isn't reallity. Don't believe everything you read or hear.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Funny that you're now contradicting yourself.
Considering previously it was your research says.

Then there's the internal problems with your argument that you completely ignore in favor of your obviously clung to stance.
They've been pointed out in vain before.
So I won't be repeating them.
But I will say it's funny how you people say we're misogynists and bigots yet a large portion of us are women and minorities.
Not that it matters too awfully much to us they're people who game and we welcome them.
They are us, meaning GG, just as much as I am.
You're the one denying them a voice.

Your BS totalitarian control mechanism of collective guilt and victimhood will fail.
GG is just the beginning.

edit on 6-3-2015 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
As i suspected, my last set of posts was a COMPLETE waste of time, as you didn't even bother to address them, and probably didn't even read them...

A man with f**ks to give would just walk away, but hey, what the hell, my life is a complete wreck, and I'm just counting the days until it's all over...Responding to another of your ridiculous posts seems as good a way to piss away my time, as any, at the moment..

Here's Sark on Cobert-Is she straight up lying? You be the judge.

www.youtube.com...

Yes, she's lying. And seriously, screw Colbert for making fun of the issue, and for giving that ignorant, lying harridan more publicity.

Next up. Why does gamergate use codes to refer to the women they target. LW1 = Quinn, LW2 = Sarkeesian, LW3 = Wu.?

Because they literally have NOTHING to do with GG... They are completely irrelevant people. They forced their way into the conversation, and use their pitty platform, to push gender politics into this.... GG isn't about gender politics, it's about ethics (or lack thereof) in the gaming press...

We don't care about Sarkeesian, Wu, or Quinn..we're tired of talking about them, because this isn't about them...they don't matter, in the context of this consumer revolt.

I dont' have time to cite everything for you guys.

Stow it, you're not even trying...

Learn to use google.

Again, it doesn't work that way. You make specific claims, and the burden of proof is on you. You don't get to just shoot your mouth off, and then say "use google"

Substantiate your claims, or STFU.

Next I wonder why gamergate is mainly targeting indie developers and not Ubisoft or Rockstar or EA or

What are you even talking about?

Next it seems that NOTyourshield or whatever its called, is an actual shield? Yes?

No. #NotYourShield was created to give voice to women, minorities, gays, lesbians, transsexuals, and the disabled....you know, those people who's voices the anti side stole....the anti side presumed to speak for them, and NYS was created to say "no, f**k you, you don't speak for us, you don't get to hide behind us, we're not your shield"

If you'd done any research at all, you'd know this.

Once again, you demonstrate that you don't really care about learning, or understanding anything that deviates from your narrow-minded opinions on the matter...Your ego prevents you from even entertaining the idea that you might have it wrong. I, at least, gave the other side a chance...

Why is social Justice Warrior a negative term? How is that related to ethics in journalism?

It's a negative term because of the ignorant, bigoted, closed-minded things they believe in. And it's not related to ethics in journalism....like the "literally who's", they invited themselves to the party, to push their idiotic agendas, and twist the facts, to fit their ignorant version of reality. We didn't invite them, and we sure as hell wish they'd go home, and leave us alone.

I've been to over twenty different websites and blogs and articles in that last half hour. I've seen hundreds of horrible tweets, screenshots, posts, comments directed at women. I've seen rape threats and insults and people calling sark a C*** who claim to be representing gamergate. That's really mature.

Well, you either hold the Guinness book of world records title for speed reading, or you're completely full of s**t....i'll leave the fine denizens of ATS to decide which is the case...

As to all the nasty things you've seen...welcome to the internet....this has been happening since the beginning. It's nothing to do with GG.

And it's funny how you claim to keep seeing all this evil being done under the GG banner, yet you NEVER provide any examples...

All I see is BS when I look at gamergate.

All i see is BS when I look at one of your posts. You keep repeating the same bogus claims, and talking points, you ignore every counter to your arguments, and continue on... And you expect anyone here to take you seriously? Grow up.

In fact it hurts me to write any word with the word gate at the end but I did it for you guys.

Cry me a river.

Gamergate is just a haven for women haters who are afraid that their big boobed vixens are going to be taken out of their games.

-yawn- When you can some up with something to say, that ISN'T either a lie, or an overused talking point, let me know...

On a side note, I love games like dead or alive

I don't...i'm not really into fighting games...Well, not all of them.. I'll admit a fondness for Super Smash Bros, Playstation All-Stars, Tekken, and Soul Calibur...I like games with attractive female characters, but chicks doing battle in bikinis annoys me, because it's just stupid.

even with all the misogyny.

Stop using that word. You clearly don't know what it means.

But I've got news for you. Those games will still sell, you don't have anything to worry about.

Of course they'll sell...there's a market for everything.. Just ask the poor bastard that came up with Flappy Bird.

I also downloaded Revolution 60 this morning so I could see what that game was about.

You have my condolences.

Not bad

I'm sorry you have such low standards. The game is terrible.

normal Ipad time wasting game, good for wasting a few minutes. I give it a 6 out of 10 mainly because I didn't like the game mechanics. Although, I'm thinking that a console or PC port could be much better.

Now you're just being generous, or a troll...

Nothing can make that game good.....they would have been better off donating the exorbitant budget they had for that piece of crap, to a worthwhile charity...the money would have been put to FAR better use.

How's that for ethics in journalism.

You're not a journalist..

I didn't even sleep with her.

Neither did this journalist, and she hated it. armedgamer.com...

This article actually articulates many of my points better than I ever could. I don't get my point across very well and I get stuck in little details.

Try this.

www.trustinplay.com...

That article is as laughable as your posts....he doesn't get it, any more than you do...

I agree that gender politics has no place in gaming, but we didn't do that...

Again, if you'd done any actual research, you'd know this.
edit on 3-7-2015 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

Look, and I really mean this. Our little pissing contest over gamerhate is really nothing when it comes to our real lives unless it really effects them. Real life is more important than a discussion or argument about anything on ATS. Seriously. You said "...my life is a complete wreck, and I'm just counting the days until it's all over.." It hurts me to see someone else doing that bad.

I know you don't want any pity, and I'm not giving you any. If there's ever anything I can do for you let me know (except change my mind on gamerhate, that is!)

I'm really not trying to give you any more grief, I just can't jump on the gamerhate bandwagon.

But let me put it to you another way. Because I deal with the victims of bullying and harassment every day, I think that seriously colors my perspective. In that perspective, I can't stand harassment or bullying in any form. I think that's why I'm so against gamerhate. I just want you to understand that part of it. I know you don't agree with it and you're perspective and personal experience is different. You want citations but that hate the women bashing the harassment the threats. Their everywhere. I've read the stuff you guys post. Some of it makes really good points. Some of it, just doesn't cut it. Too much hate and bullying around gamerhate for me.

It's like that clip of Sark I posted with Colbert. It doesn't really prove anything either way. Although 99% of the time Colbert is right on the money when he rips into something. Just something to consider.

And who's to say I'm not a journalist or an amateur journalist? I play games I can write about them.

How long does it take you to read a several hundred word article? a couple of minutes? How long does it take you to skim through comments on an article? Or click through a couple of links and read a few more several hundred page articles. Not long. It's not rocket science.

If you're up for the fight, then join in by all means, if not, you should ignore me and we'll join in battle down the road. I don't want to cause you any more stress. Seriously. ATS and a discussion about gamers that won't really effect the world as we know it, isn't worth it.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Look, and I really mean this. Our little pissing contest over gamerhate is really nothing when it comes to our real lives unless it really effects them. Real life is more important than a discussion or argument about anything on ATS. Seriously. You said "...my life is a complete wreck, and I'm just counting the days until it's all over.." It hurts me to see someone else doing that bad.

I've been miserable for years...pay it no mind.

And it's not a pissing contest, so much as a really annoying debate.

I know you don't want any pity, and I'm not giving you any. If there's ever anything I can do for you let me know (except change my mind on gamerhate, that is!)

"Gamerhate"...that's cute. Do you actually derive some kind of strange satisfaction from being willfully ignorant?

I'd say if you really want to do something good, you could start actually reading what i write, addressing it, like a serious debater, and actually do your homework, instead of ignoring everything that doesn't reinforce your confirmation bias...but I'm sure you'd think that too much like changing your mind.

I'm really not trying to give you any more grief, I just can't jump on the gamerhate bandwagon.

If this was too much "grief", I'd tell you where to stick your ignorance, and walk away from this. I'm here to Deny Ignorance™, in all it's forms, and faces... Gives me something to focus on.

But let me put it to you another way. Because I deal with the victims of bullying and harassment every day, I think that seriously colors my perspective. In that perspective, I can't stand harassment or bullying in any form. I think that's why I'm so against gamerhate. I just want you to understand that part of it. I know you don't agree with it and you're perspective and personal experience is different. You want citations but that hate the women bashing the harassment the threats. Their everywhere. I've read the stuff you guys post. Some of it makes really good points. Some of it, just doesn't cut it. Too much hate and bullying around gamerhate for me.

And yet, you ignore all the bullying and harassment coming from the anti side, because, in your warped view, they're the "good guys"...some might call that hypocritical. I just call it willful ignorance.

It's like that clip of Sark I posted with Colbert. It doesn't really prove anything either way.

Not to you...because you ignore anything that doesn't conform to your version of the truth. Again, your ego prevents you from even entertaining the idea that you might have it wrong....so when something comes along that contradicts what you've accepted to be the absolute truth, you cover your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears, and pretend it doesn't exist.

If you actually did any kind of research, you'd see just how much of a liar, and con artist she is...and you'd see right through that Colbert segment..

Although 99% of the time Colbert is right on the money when he rips into something. Just something to consider.

When he's not busy soft-shoeing it, with kid gloves on, to avoid being called a misogynist....god forbid he ask her any real questions... I know it's not that kind of show..it's comedy, but it still pisses me off that people give her air time..

And who's to say I'm not a journalist or an amateur journalist? I play games I can write about them.

I can blog about games, I can write on here about games....doesn't make me a journalist. And it doesn't make you one, either.

How long does it take you to read a several hundred word article? a couple of minutes? How long does it take you to skim through comments on an article? Or click through a couple of links and read a few more several hundred page articles. Not long. It's not rocket science.

I read VERY fast...I don't "skim" through comments, I read each one, because context is important. I'm just saying that I don't believe you read THAT much, and accumulated THAT much information in a half hour..

If you're up for the fight, then join in by all means, if not, you should ignore me and we'll join in battle down the road. I don't want to cause you any more stress. Seriously. ATS and a discussion about gamers that won't really effect the world as we know it, isn't worth it.

If I wasn't up to it, I wouldn't still be replying. The fight is worth it to me....this is my hobby being dragged through the mud...this is ME, and everyone like me, being dragged through the mud, ridiculed, defamed, demonized....no, this IS worth it, because it DOES effect me.

Now quit deflecting, and engage.
edit on 3-7-2015 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

Good. I know I'm a thorn in your side on this issue, but I don't want to stress you out or anything. Not knowing what's really going on with you. If I really thought I was hurting you, I would just stop replying to you. You know that right?

So I'll continue.

I hate the word gate so much is hate really a worse word?

I get that there is some harrassement of the gamerhaters but the hate coming in under the umbrella of gamerhate is much worse. You don't seem to want want to acknowledge that there are thousands of trolls flocking to gamergate and infecting it. The bullying is much worse for those opposing gamerhate or pushing feminist views into the gaming industry then vice versa.

So how does gamerhate and this discussion effect you personally? Why stand up for the hashtag when there are other things you could do?

So maybe gamerhate exposes something that needs to be exposed. I can then add my voice and actions to it and have an affect on the issue without going under gamerhate and standing up for feminsts views in gaming and against the trolls.

So the second question is why shouldn't I just support the issues without joining the trolls. You're not a troll and thousands of people like you are not, but it's the thousands that are that really bother me. CAn't I still be effective?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Your and those like you's problem is that there is a growing and still loosely but organized pushback against you.
Admit it.
That's why you're here slandering the hash tag and telling us to drop it.
With a flimsy excuse and very little actual objective research none the less.
Remember when you screwed up with your blind google search and accidently put a link to any blog post contrary to your stance?
Considering your side tends to be far more hostile to anyone not joining it.

Oh and here's one of those people you aGGs pretend don't exist.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Reading material..

The opposition of #GamerGate seems to be systematically ignoring those of us who are women and who support #GamerGate. In the past few days, I have connected with countless other women on Twitter through this hashtag. We are ignored by many members of the media who make this out to be a gender issue. We don’t fit their narrative. If we were not ignored, then #GamerGate would no longer be a gender issue and the requests for a better standard of ethics would be at the forefront.

Many of us are harassed and called names by people who oppose #GamerGate. Many of us are accused of being fake accounts and not “real women”. We have been called “misogynists” and worse by people on Twitter. YouTuber Jennie Bharaj was even accused of being paid to support #GamerGate.

Harassment comes from both sides. Supporters of #GamerGate are not exempt from this. Some supporters are being jerks, making threats and “doxxing” (sharing personal info including home phone numbers online). I think I can safely say that most of us do not condone this. We’re sorry. The opposition has done the same. I have seen a young woman on YouTube doxxed and receiving harassing phone calls, a member of the LGBT community was harassed and called names. We have been called “lonely nerds” and compared to terrorists by gaming bloggers. Again, this is being ignored by larger media outlets.

The most important thing is that we are doing something. Yes, we are using Twitter as the platform to discuss #GamerGate. What people do not see is what is going on when we are not on Twitter. We are emailing advertisers and voicing our concerns over who they choose to advertise with. We are emailing editors and asking them why questionable ethics are OK. We are making phone calls and letting companies know how we feel. We are finding smaller indie devs, smaller indie companies and smaller blogs and we are spreading their names around so they can find a new audience.
This is not just “slacktivism”. #GamerGate is a reflection on a much larger problem with new media. The gaming bloggers and media outlets are not the only places that have these issues. Many subcultures, interests and online communities will find the same problems in their own media properties. My hope is that #GamerGate encourages a more widespread movement requiring greater transparency, honesty and a better standard of ethics from the media.

gamesnosh.com...

And a video.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows

Your and those like you's problem is that there is a growing and still loosely but organized pushback against you.
Admit it.
That's why you're here slandering the hash tag and telling us to drop it.
With a flimsy excuse and very little actual objective research none the less.
Remember when you screwed up with your blind google search and accidently put a link to any blog post contrary to your stance?
Considering your side tends to be far more hostile to anyone not joining it.

Oh and here's one of those people you aGGs pretend don't exist.

I already told you that we're not on opposing sides. And that I read everything thus the post that had a contrary view. Not a screw up. LOL I told you I read everything. I look at everything even if it's not supporting my views. How else to deny ignorance? I don't have a side...meaning there is no one on my side. I understand that are women and minorities in Gamergrate.

My big point is that gamergrate is a haven for trolls and does more harm than good. That's it in a nutshell.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join