It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US sending around 600 paratroopers to Ukraine to train troops

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

A battalion of around 600 American paratroopers will be heading to Ukraine next month to train national guard troops there, a Pentagon spokesman told Fox News Wednesday.

US sending around 600 paratroopers to Ukraine to train troops

According to several news sources, not only Fox, US ground troops are headed to Ukraine next month. On top of that, Obama requested ground troops to finally take on ISIS.

President Obama on Wednesday opened the door to "limited" ground combat operations against the Islamic State, as he asked Congress to formally authorize military force against the terrorist network.

Obama opens door to 'limited' ground combat operations against ISIS

It would seem things are going from proxy wars to first hand engagements. I could only imagine how Putin is going to react with US troops going into Ukraine... even though it's supposedly only to train.

I'm hoping that these developments doesn't exacerbate anything.

edit on 2/12/2015 by EternalSolace because: Clarity

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

So is that another 600 (para)troopers ?

23 April 2014

The United States has announced an operation to deploy 600 troops to Poland and Baltic states ahead of the upcoming military drills

voanews source
sputnik news source

Why exactly 600 ?

Rather stupid move, so i hope this is misinfo, since current talks about Ukraine and Russia is going on.
edit on 12/2/2015 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/2/2015 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
heck why not increase the tension. We do not have enough wars lately and lost a great deal of money over the last six years ..
The military apparatus has to be oiled and ready right?

I say let's nuke the whole world and get it all over with , to start from scratch . We neanderthal monkeys are never going to learn to coexist!
edit on 0b22America/ChicagoThu, 12 Feb 2015 02:13:22 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoThu, 12 Feb 2015 02:13:22 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Last time the US helped fascists in Europe didn't end to well...For 60 million Europeans. Step back America, it's not your fight. or if you are so hell bent on trouble with Russia here's a suggestion...Go in Through the Bearing straight.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Remember the Budapest memorandum where if Ukraine gave up there nukes the US UK France would help if Russia invades so your saying once given your oath and signed it you let the Ukraine die

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: tomcat415

Remember the Budapest memorandum where if Ukraine gave up there nukes the US UK France would help if Russia invades so your saying once given your oath and signed it you let the Ukraine die

Russia has every right to kick a US installed fascist puppet Government in the china dolls on it's own doorstep are far as i'm concerned. just the same as the US did with Cuba in the 60's and continues to do in the 21st Century.

One thing the US are masters at is creating buffer zones on soil far far away from home.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Last time the US helped fascists in Europe didn't end to well...For 60 million Europeans. Step back America, it's not your fight. or if you are so hell bent on trouble with Russia here's a suggestion...Go in Through the Bearing straight.

What in the hell are you talking about? The Us remained neutral until we were attacked by japan. Germany then declared war on the US.

Get your facts right.
edit on 12-2-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: kloejen

Well Fox News is Sourcing hearing something from the pentagon yesterday. The first 600 troops were from the same battalion and it is the same number of troops, but I see no way this could be the same story repeated. The mission is different..

The first 600 were for making the US allies feel safer and doing joint training exercises.. Containment..
This 600 is for directly training Ukrainians, not polish or estonian or whatever soldiers.

This is something new if it's true.
Fox news is saying they got this from AP.

Mmmm here we go...

MOSCOW (Reuters) - More than 600 Russian troops started exercises in Crimea, RIA news agency reported on Tuesday, a day before a summit on the Ukraine crisis in the Belarussian capital Minsk.

Source

So the USA is saying you send around 600, so do we..

This Link explains more clearly what is in the OP

LINK
edit on 12-2-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   

the government of Ukraine was elected by the Ukraine people in dec 2012. Russia accepted the results of that election. That same government impeached Yanukovych, who then fled before they could vote to remove him from office. Russia has since recognized the parliament AND presidential vote and recognized the Ukraine government.

Try again.. maybe do some research before making claims that are blatant lies?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: tomcat415

Russia does not honor its agreements..

They recently screwed over Belarus...
They screwed over India with the joint development of their 5th generation fighter. India wont get technical info as required and wont see their first plane until a decade from now.

The Budapest agreement...
The legislation that handed Crimea over to Ukraine from the 1950's...

This mess is all Putins making... The Russians and their supporters are in denial.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Between sending troopers for training purposes, and talk of arms being shipped.
Russia said it would be an act of war.

Now breaking. Putin is calling for a cease-fire in eastern Ukraine as of midnight Saturday...
there's no way Putin is folding? Could he?

Does anyone know why?
edit on 12-2-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Well that's good news, but I wouldn't count that as folding.

NBC is making it seem like Russia wants a cease fire because funding the rebels in their economic troubles is getting costly. I doubt this is the true reasoning.

NBC: Russia's Vladimir Putin Announces Cease-Fire in Ukraine Conflict

FOX: Putin announces cease-fire in eastern Ukraine

all parties taking part in the Ukraine peace talks in Minsk, Belarus, have agreed to a ceasefire starting February 15

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

Seemed odd to me. All the build up( war talk ). Then Putin applies the brakes. I don't recall Putin up until this point calling for a cease-fire.

If not for financial reasons( as stated ). What do you suspect?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

If not for financial reasons( as stated ). What do you suspect?

I have nothing specific in mind. I get feelings when I read multiple sources.. I can feel the weird slants certain news agencies use. In this case NBC reporting differed from the others by adding that detail, and in it's execution it felt off.

that's all.

I would suspect something came up in talks. Maybe Russia is getting a deal out of this?
Maybe Russia doesn't expect a cease fire to last, and wants Ukraine to break it?
Maybe they legitimately want a ceasefire as their only motive?

I don't know..

But for now this is Good News.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: kloejen

23 April 2014

The United States has announced an operation to deploy 600 troops to Poland and Baltic states ahead of the upcoming military drills

voanews source
sputnik news source

Why exactly 600 ?

Rather stupid move, so i hope this is misinfo, since current talks about Ukraine and Russia is going on.

Apparently this 600 troops isn't deploying to Poland. They're headed elsewhere.

The training is to take place at the Yavariv training center in the western Ukrainian city of Lviv, U.S. Army Europe Commander Lt. Gen. Ben Hodges said, according to The Associated Press.

Whether it's the same 600 that went to Poland last year, who knows.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   

What strikes me as odd, is that Putin keeps claiming that Russian troops are not in Ukraine, but is able to call for a cease fire. We all know that he has troops there, but I'm curious as to whether it's a formal acknowledgment that Russian troops are there.

I also am curious about the timing of the ceasefire as well. I'm thinking it might be to buy some time to prepare prior to the arrival of US troops.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Yes this is good news for the moment. Hope it sticks. But I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks for replying back.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Phew the Ukraine and Russia have agreed a ceasefire and laid out plans for a peace plan.
I was getting worried.
edit on 12-2-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

What strikes me as odd, is that Putin keeps claiming that Russian troops are not in Ukraine, but is able to call for a cease fire. We all know that he has troops there, but I'm curious as to whether it's a formal acknowledgment that Russian troops are there.

I never took him as lying about "troops" being there. I always saw him making a semantic argument about the definition of Russian Troops. As in yea there are Russians there, and yea they might be "former" soldiers, but they're not acting in official status and are not troops..

He was being more jokey about it early on saying things with a smirk on his face "who knows they could be anyone. You could pick up these uniforms and weapons anywhere in Ukraine."

So he wasn't lying to foreign leaders.. He was just saying, we are not technically at war. And in another way he was saying "game on."

As far as truth telling goes.. Putin lol... He seems to like lying more (than other leaders), and hides it a little less.. Some see this as him being more truthful.. I see it as he's a little crazier..

BUT Germany and France were also parties to the talks. See this was another weird reporting thing.. Putin only told the press there is a ceasefire, but saying he announced it makes it seem more his responsibility. really Germany seems to have announced it first, and they have no troops there right?

I also am curious about the timing of the ceasefire as well. I'm thinking it might be to buy some time to prepare prior to the arrival of US troops.

That's one idea.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

What in the hell are you talking about? The Us remained neutral until we were attacked by japan. Germany then declared war on the US.

Get your facts right.

Facts are correct,

And
edit on 12-2-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join