It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"What if...?" scenarios in the world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Let's be real here: nobody ACTUALLY wants to see another world war or a huge natural disaster, not really (unless they're crazy). But "boring real life stuff" and human instinct to want to fight for your life can make people imagine terrible scenarios where they must face countless obstacles.

...of course, this is all my opinion, based on my own fascination with books and films about all kinds of disasters, to the point where I write a couple stories sometimes...

That said:

Let's play with a few scenarios?

Reminder: all scenarios can be played under any and all of those circumstances (and more that you come up with):

What if you knew a month before it all happened? What if you realised what was happening RIGHT at the beginning, while 90% (or so) of the population didn't really believe it'd be anything serious? What if you found yourself in the middle of the situation, completely unprepared?

Here's our world:

What would YOU do in case of...

1. ...a MAJOR plate tectonics-related disaster?

Studying the info we have available, like the map above, and considering where you live, where would you go? What would your plans be? How would you prepare for earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis and, of course, desperate, dangerous and selfish people?

2. ...no source of power ANYWHERE?

To make it more interesting, no more electricity, radios, cars, you name it. How to keep warm, if you live in a cold place? How to find/produce food, shelter, protection?

(this would probably be the most simple one, cause we'd basically go back to living like the old old old days, but still fun to think about, since most people wouldn't know what to do at all)

3. ...a devastating world war?

I won't pick the allies, winners, losers (if there are any... it might last forever, it might destroy every government/nation). Just assume that every country is in it. Nuclear? You decide. All I'm providing for this scenario is:

4. ...a contagious plague/virus?

Types of transmission? A few ideas for you: droplets (cough/sneeze), airborne, direct contact (touching, kissing), indirect contact (touching same objects, such as doorknobs), vector-borne (animals, like mosquitoes, rats), etc.

5. ...an alien invasion?

why not? They're more advanced than us... and they want to get rid of us. Why? Who cares? Maybe they don't like how we treat our planet. Maybe they need our blood. Maybe it's nothing personal, they just want to use as guinea pigs, or they need a new planet. Whatever the reason is, they have the advantage here.

6. ...zombies?

again... why not? Fast zombies, slow zombies, dumb zombies, "smart zombies"... how do they turn? Who knows...

_________

Okay, that's all I can come up with at 4AM...
Remember, even if the source of the "disaster" isn't humans, you know how people get during desperate times... and, of course, there might be strength in numbers. They may also be a weakness. And: whatever it is, it's happening EVERYWHERE.

(not sure this is the right forum, btw... but it was the one that seemed the most logical to me, sorry)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: LukeDAP

Why don't select one of those scenarios so that everyone is on the same page, so to speak.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   

in all your senarios my ACTUAL actions would be the same :

take a series of [ as yet unknown ] actions in direct response to the precise circumstances i find myself in - tempered by my skills , my recources and my moral compass .

to be rude - such mental mastrubation as " what would you do if .... ??????? questions

leads to people being so obsesed with what thiey THINK they are going to do and developing tunnel vision of " the plan " to the point that they dont actually react to the situation as it unfolds

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I'm stockpiling tampons, shampoo, conditioner, makeup, toilet paper, razors, moisturizing soaps, lotion, and nail polish.

No matter how the apocalypse happens, I'm going to be surrounded by a horde of women bartering for my wares.

Then I can trade the women for other things I need.
edit on 2/12/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
I'm stockpiling tampons, shampoo, conditioner, makeup, toilet paper, razors, moisturizing soaps, lotion, and nail polish.

No matter how the apocalypse happens, I'm going to be surrounded by a horde of women bartering for my wares.

The women will have plans for you. After all, they will outnumber you. I won't comment on outthinking you.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

The women will have plans for you. After all, they will outnumber you. I won't comment on outthinking you.

It's called sarcasm. Grow a sense of humor.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Run and hide - the highland way. (quote from Braveheart)

So let's look:

1) Surf the waves
2) Light a candle and read Popular Mechanics
3) Kiss my ass goodbye
4) Climb a mountain and squat for a few months
5) Get ready for a probing
6) Watch Walking Dead to get some tips

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I have a very nice site for your DOOM and END OF THE WORLD-scenarios:

Exit mundi (lat.: "End of the World")

Sorry, right now it seems to be down. But try again, they have made a HUGE list of possible scenarios. With "what to do" and simulations, etc.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Interesting thread...

i'd grab my camping gear, a bunch of water, my woman, dog and speargun and Captain Ron outa here down through the bvi's.

...Let the mainlanders duke it out before returning.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   

LOL you will get "death by snu snu"

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
well this would be cool as i would shine up my machetes and hunt down those who wronged me. welcome to the Apocalypse

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I would just wait to see what the government tells me to do in all these situations because obviously they care about my life.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

in all your senarios my ACTUAL actions would be the same :

take a series of [ as yet unknown ] actions in direct response to the precise circumstances i find myself in - tempered by my skills , my recources and my moral compass .

to be rude - such mental mastrubation as " what would you do if .... ??????? questions

leads to people being so obsesed with what thiey THINK they are going to do and developing tunnel vision of " the plan " to the point that they dont actually react to the situation as it unfolds

Right. We should tend to think along the lines of an old Zen saying:

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."
edit on 12-2-2015 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

It's called sarcasm. Grow a sense of humor.

Don't you understand that she just beat you at your own game!?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Same solution set for all these scenarios...

1. Live in a remote location. One that has a renewable water supply, good rainfall, good soil for agriculture, and warm winters. (and is at least a good half hour or an hour drive until any kind of real civilization...or more)

2. Be self sufficient. Learn to grow your own food, tend livestock, etc.

3. Arm up. Have guns, ammo, and know how to use them.

4. Have people (with a cross set of skills that would be useful post SHTF).

5. Post sentries (most scenario challenges are going to be dealing with desperate survivors that aren't part of your group).

6. Stock up (on the things you can't easily make or grow for yourself).

7. Learn the old ways (prior to power, like preserving food, making clothes, etc.)

8. Don't advertise your position (such as a towering column of smoke in the daytime, etc.)

9. Create deterrents to coming your way (disable travel routes, remove signs, etc.)

10. Additional people can be additional resources or threats. Learn to identify which.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
My faction would seize control of the county, helping those in need, and uphold order, providing several safe havens, and if necessary, retaliation to bandits, aliens, foreign invasion, or hordes of zombies.

new topics

top topics

join