It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Find Fractal Patterns in Variable Stars Similar to Golden Ratio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Scientists Find Fractal Patterns in Variable Stars

A team of researchers led by Dr John Lindner from the University of Hawaii at Manoa and the College of Wooster, Ohio, has found evidence for fractal behavior in the pulsations of the so-called ‘golden’ RR Lyrae variables.

- RR Lyrae is a variable star located in the Lyra constellation next to Cygnus.

- The term "variable" is applied to a star whose magnitude of brightness fluctuates when viewed from earth.

- RR Lyrae is the brightest star in its class, while it and it's variable surrounding stars are said to be over 10 billion years old.

“Unlike our Sun, RR Lyrae stars shrink and swell, causing their temperatures and brightness to rhythmically change like the frequencies or notes in a song,” Dr Lindner explained.

The constellation "Lyra" is represented as a musical instrument. The name is derived from the Latin word "lyre", which is similar to a small harp. Quite fitting if you ask me, but this next part intrigues me the most...

Several of these stars, including the RR Lyrae variable star KIC 5520878, pulsate with two principal frequencies, which are nearly in the golden ratio. Astronomers call these stars ‘golden’ RR Lyrae variables.

Supposedly, nothing is perfect and considering the turbulence of space, "nearly close" is good enough for me. I for one love to speculate and get crazy when it comes to math and nature.

“We call these stars ‘golden’ because the ratio of two of their frequency components is near the golden mean, which is an irrational number famous in art, architecture, and mathematics,” Dr Lindner said.

The article goes on to suggest what may be causing the phenomenon, but I would love to know what members here think instead. We are much less boring on ATS and all religious theories are welcome! The video below has been posted before, but is worth repeating. Enjoy

edit on 11-2-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Fantastic find! I love seeing how sacred geometry (as someone who failed geometry twice in HS, irony, no?) intertwines with life and nature as a whole....

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
All I'm saying is someone built this...you guys think whatever you want about who it was (I have my own opinion) but one view point I can't understand is the one that says this is all random & just somehow put itself together...bullhockey

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Math is the language of the universe.
Unfortunatly I'm not fluent.
I do find the Fibonacci sequence and the golden ratio very interesting however but only understand it in regards to art or as it applies to some aspects of nature.
This doesn't surprise me that it's universal.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
PS I live on the shore and collect nautilus shells when ever I find them. My garden is scattered with them. I use phi in arranging objects on tables and arranging flowers in a vase. It's just pleasing to the eye.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

This doesn't surprise me that it's universal.

To clarify for those who did not understood the article in its whole:

A few stars follow a golden ratio pattern, whereas many others (such as the Sun) do not.

Intriguing find nonetheless! S&F

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Nature on the macro scale is emergent from nature on the micro scale.
Therefore, it doesn't surprise me that we find the golden ratio in macro-nature.

In other words, if macro-scale nature is built up of micro-scale nature, then the ratios and structures from that micro scale will manifest themselves in patterns in what may look at first like the random chaos of the macro world.

A very rough analogy would be a moire pattern created when you put two screens on top of one another. The screens on a small scale have a grid pattern/structure to them, but together they create a much larger swirling interference pattern, larger and more complex than than the small grids of the screen from which the macro-pattern is ultimately constructed.

edit on 2/12/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
S & F

As above, so below.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Surprise, surprise the universe is based on physical laws and mathematics!!.. There is no hidden knowledge, sacred geometry or any other hoodoo about this.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ziplock9000

Surprise, surprise the universe is based on physical laws and mathematics!!.. There is no hidden knowledge, sacred geometry or any other hoodoo about this.

It may not be a surprise to you ... but for some it is and it is a fascinating subject
Of course there is hidden knowledge ... Unless you are saying you know everything about everything and if so pray tell

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Space time tuner used in a stardrive. Just a real big one.

top topics

join