It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'60 Minutes' Correspondent Bob Simon Dead at 73

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

60 Minutes correspondent Bob Simon died Wednesday evening in a car accident in New York.

The CBS newsman was riding in a livery cab that struck another car and then crashed into a median on the West Side Highway, his network confirmed.

Simon, the recipient of 24 Emmy awards — including a Lifetime Achievement Emmy — joined the Eye Network’s news division in 1967. He began regularly contributing to the Sunday-night newsmagazine in 1996.

'60 Minutes' Correspondent Bob Simon Dead at 73

A sad moment in journalism.. Bob Simon died in a car accident this evening. He was a passenger in a cab that struck another vehicle on the highway and then struck the median.

His history includes reporting on the first gulf war and being held captive by Iraqi's for over 40 days.

Click link above for the remainder of article..

edit on 11-2-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

OMG! I was just watching 60 minutes the other day. Sad loss. I liked him, especially his voice. May he rest in peace.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Just saw this on Google news. Livery cabs are not yellow taxis, but "car service" or "town car" vehicles. When you have a chauffeur, whether rented for a borough-to-airport trip or as a regular driver, there is instantly a suspicion of foul play ... especially when both the chauffeur and the driver of the other vehicle are (respectively) treated for minor injuries and unhurt. (See NYT article.)

I remember when Alexander Dubček, the Czechoslovak leader of the "Prague Spring" whose attempts at softening the USSR's grip on the sophisticated Central European country led to a two-decade-long crackdown. The resistance inspired by the Prague Spring came to power during the Velvet Revolution, in 1989, Dubček supported the revolution and was re-elected to represent his native Slovakia. He supported the liberal, Vaclav Havel-led Prague government when, in 1992, the newly freed country split along old historical and political lines. Slovakia had been a Nazi puppet state in World War II, for example, while the Czech Republic was famously intellectual and liberal in thought and action.

And then Dubček's limo crashes, right before the country splits apart and Slovakia goes to thug right-wing governments that have more or less persisted ever since. He dies, the driver survives and is charged with criminal endangerment.

Bob Simon was in Tel Aviv for many years, and a State Department correspondent before that. Lots of current/recent stuff about the Saudis. I wonder if this is related to the ongoing case against the Saudi royals' financing of the 9/11 hijackers? Or whatever this ISIS thing is really about?

Times are always weird, from the beginning of human history. But we can sure see a lot of it now .....

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: FieldCmdrCohen

For christ's sake it was a car accident. Just stop. Just don't.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Bob Simon's death is another loss for 60 Minutes, which has had quite a few of their major people die in the last several years. What a great program, and it just keeps churning out the show decade after decade. Not the same since Mike Wallace died though.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Maybe it was just an accident, but after seeing the photos and reading additional reports, it really makes me wonder whether there might be more to it. I believe the speed limit was 35 mph (with speeding common in the area). Maybe ATS members familiar with the area can chime in on that. Meanwhile, check out the degree of damage and draw your own conclusions:

SOURCE: gothamist.com has this photo and more, and had this to say:

According to the NYPD, Simon was traveling in a Lincoln Town car livery cab that was traveling south on 12th Avenue when the driver, a 44-year-old man, struck the driver's side of a 2003 Mercedes Benz, which had been stopped at a red light at 30th Street. Police say, "After the initial collision, the Lincoln Town car careened into metal stanchions separating the north and south bound traffic."

There are also more photos in this New York Post article, which says:

The Lincoln Town Car in which Simon, 73, was riding collided with a Mercedes-Benz, then veered across the roadway and plowed into a pedestrian expansion near West 30th Street at about 7 p.m...

The driver of the Mercedes... said the black car was veering erratically before the crash.

“He swerved into me,” said the ... Mercedes driver... “He hit me and he looked like he lost control of the car.”

...The Town Car was so badly mangled, rescuers had to pry open the roof to extract him from the rear of the car.

...The 44-year-old Lincoln driver — identified as Reshad Abdul Fedahi — was treated by first responders for a possible heart attack, according to police sources. He also had two broken legs, a busted right arm and tested negative for booze, law enforcement sources said.

It was not clear if Fedahi actually suffered a heart attack, nor was it immediately clear if he was stricken before or after the crash.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Is everything that happens a conspiracy? Reading some replies on here, according to some ATS members, yes, every car crash involving a journalist's death. C'mon folks, let's be discerning. Lets pick and choose what we think are real conspiracies. Get out of mom's basement, people die out there, sometimes it just happens. It's true, believe me.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
www.nydailynews.com...

Cabbie in Bob Simon's death has speeding conviction; cousin says he once tried to kill self as cops deny he had heart attack

Fedahi is estranged from his wife, Shekiba, with whom he has a daughter.
His cousin, Rauf Sharif, claims that after the separation from his wife, Fedahi tried to take his own life.
'He was on a suicide mission,' said the man.
'He dropped himself from a building. I don't know how many floors in Brooklyn. He went through hard days in his life.'
From the catastrophic damage to the livery cab at the scene, investigators were planning to interview the driver because they believe speed may have been a factor in the crash.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
edit on 13-2-2015 by Nada2525 because: More Content

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I see some getting upset that anyone would suggest this could be anything but a car crash but I ask why no one is asking the following question. Isnt it strange that with 24 hours, three journalists died and an additional one was involved in a head on crash but survived?

Bob Simon (CBS) dies in a car crash Feb 11, 2015
Ned Colt (NBC) drops dead of a stroke Feb 12, 2015
David Carr (NY Times) dies suddenly of complications Feb 12, 2015
Bob Hager (NBC) involved in a head on collision when a car veered into his lane, Feb 12, 2015
The same week Feb 9th Brian Williams is exposed as a liar, On Feb 12, 2015 NBC says they have a dosier of lies Brian Williams told

So in matter of about 24 hours three journalists die, one additional could have died in a head on, and a another is discredited. Also Bill O'Reilley was accused shortly after as being a liar too. So three journalists dead and one discredited in a very short span. If there were a connection between them....maybe there is something to consider.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: truthster013
Interesting point. Does anyone know what stories all these journalists were working on?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday
Interesting point. Does anyone know what stories all these journalists were working on?

The last story Simon was working on was about a possible cure for Ebola.

Bob Simon's last story, about a quest to cure Ebola, will air this Sunday

The piece was aired after his death.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Two of the three that died had spend time as a captive in Iraq and one had just finished interviewing Snowden before his death. Not sure any of that is connected but it's interesting perhaps to consider when looking for a connection.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

originally posted by: Guyfriday

The last story Simon was working on was about a possible cure for Ebola.

Bob Simon's last story, about a quest to cure Ebola, will air this Sunday

The piece was aired after his death.

Thank you for this.

originally posted by: truthster013
Two of the three that died had spend time as a captive in Iraq and one had just finished interviewing Snowden before his death. Not sure any of that is connected but it's interesting perhaps to consider when looking for a connection.

Hum???? Ebola, Snowden,and Malaysia Airlines Flight 17? What's the connection.

Though I haven't found evidence that the four listed journalists are all dead (just some of them) It appears that the story of these journalists come from shariaunveiled.wordpress.com. I will say that there is something afoot here.

Bob Simon (CBS) dies in a car crash Feb 11, 2015 (Confirmed, but the driver of the cab, an Afghan immigrant named Abdul Reshad Fedahi, who survived the crash, had reportedly had his driver's license suspended nine times and was driving on a probationary period. The brakes were suspected to not have been used to slow the vehicle before the accident)

Ned Colt (NBC) drops dead of a stroke Feb 12, 2015 (Confirmed, but strangely enough was removed from NBC news' Wiki page)

David Carr (NY Times) dies suddenly of complications Feb 12, 2015 (Confirmed, he was teaching a class on contemporary and entrepreneurial journalism)

Bob Hager (NBC) involved in a head on collision when a car veered into his lane, Feb 12, 2015 (not confirmed)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

To clarify, Bob Hagar was involved in a head on crash that same day but survived. Here is a link to a news story www.adweek.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
As a follow up, I have heard rumors twice (but have not found evidence) that several of these reporters were planning to form a new news agency very soon. In addition, Russia has been allegedly claiming they are about to come forward with proof the US Government was involved with 911. It is possible that some of this "proof" could have come via Snowden who has been in Russia and whom one reporter just recently met with hours before he died.

top topics

join