It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The homesman.... What a ride!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Man o man this one left my jaw on the floor by the end of it. I was in a daze for hours still trying to process the whole movie. By the end My jaw hurt, my teethe ached, and my shoulders we so sore from being tense, very riveting stuff.

Any one else seen it yet? I don't wanna give anything away so il stay away from details but Id like to at least say that this is the most Kubrickesque film I've ever seen not produced by the man himself. Amazing attention to detail and irony throughout. So creepy and chilling but warm and loving only moments later and it doesn't ever feel out of place.

Another aspect of the movie I loved is it was basically a 2 hour excercise in how much modern technologies have improved life... Many many times they focus on a very simple aspect of the past that most people don't even think about.. I mean the movie itself is about taking some women to the mental hospital.... ITS GOING TO TAKE 5 WEEKS for the trip alone not to mention all the resources it took the town pooling together to make the trip happen..

Over all this is one of my new favorite movies. Super subtle humor. Super creepy camera work and acting. Awesome movie! There's so many parts that could be discussed but that would take aways from the movie in my opinion for anyone who hasn't seen it yet so il wait a few weeks before I really pick it apart, I'd like to watch it a few more times too, anyone else should wait too out of respect but I'd love to try to talk about the movie without ruining it for others if anyone has anything to add?

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Is it in theaters now? Your post is very intriguing, but I still have no idea what it's about. I must go read the wiki!

(I prefer to know the endings of movies/books before I begin them)

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I'll definitely check it out. Seems like it may have some substance. A rarity nowadays.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

I rented it on iTunes yesterday so idk if it's before it hits theaters or after. They do Pre theatrical release sometimes but I have no idea.

I promise knowing the mind bending emotional twists of it would take away. There's a couple doozies that I never saw coming. I hate movies due to the usual predictability and fakeness but this one felt so genuine and unexpected. Really made me go "........... Wtf......." More then once lol.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

Thanks for the heads up, I watched a trailer the other day and thought I may want to see it. Tommy Lee Jones and Hiilary Swank should make for a good movie. I noticed it even has that young lady from True Grit, her name escapes me.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLieWeLive

They both nailed it. I couldn't say either one did better either. the supporting cast is THICK and a ton of people did great on their little support roles too. All together a very well put together. Between this and the upcoming Foxcatcher, 2015 Is turning into quite the year for movies Imo.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

this is the most Kubrickesque film I've ever seen not produced by the man himself.

That's a bold statement! I may have to see it now.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I got a screener of this and it was billed as the best western since Unforgiven. I personally found it to be plodding and rather boring. I thought it lacked in dimension and action, two things that Unforgiven had hands down.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I got a screener of this and it was billed as the best western since Unforgiven. I personally found it to be plodding and rather boring. I thought it lacked in dimension and action, two things that Unforgiven had hands down.

I agree that it's not comparable to "Unforgiven". "Unforgiven" was a fairly fast-moving Western with quite a bit of action. "Homesman" is not fast-moving and has little action and is not in the Western genre. However, it does have two great performances. It's much more like Jones' "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" except that, in my opinion, "The Three Burials..." was a better film. That said, it's well worth watching.

Again, in my opinion, someone's comparison of Jones' directing to Kubrick's is sure to create the wrong impression in so far as someone's expectations. This is a slow-moving, leisurely-paced drama set in frontier times.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

The trailer is fascinating!
You can't get any better than Tommy Lee Jones he lives his roles with a vengeance.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I saw the comparison to unforgivin as well and thought it was out of place. 2 totally different movies for sure.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

I gotta say this movie conjured many of the same feelings the shining did. I should probably make the comparison as "shiningesque" instead of kubrikesque I suppose. The use of ultra slow zoom to build tension and the refrain from cutting makes the movie "drag" but if you can completely absorb yourself it builds emotion and tension and draws the eye to details.. That's more how I'm comparing it to kubricks works.

The creepy factor is off the charts too... That's another thing that reminded me of Kubrick. He's a master of holding on to creepy for just a second to long to make you almost turn away JUST as the scene shifts... Gut wrenching hesitation on creepy..

I won't say it is as put together as a Kubrick weaved masterpiece. It's not a well planned ride through the breadcrumbs like say eyes wide shut, but its very well set up for what it is, like I said, many surprises and emotionally jarring resolutions.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I watched it and asked myself WHY? Thumbs down from me, only one though, because I love Tommy Lee Jones in any movie.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
and

for the reminder,

Read about this a while back but has slipped my mind,

and with not having much to watch film wise as of the last few weeks this will be a great film to see.

Amazing cast, preview just draws you in and Tommie Lee Jones is a legend.

edit on 12-2-2015 by InhaleExhale because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join