It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The modern world is totally pointless, do I even want to participate in the madness?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Perhaps at some future point in time humanity will achieve psychic powers, and that will gove new meaning to our future world.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
We are not going into space anymore or even looking to the stars as a whole in society anymore, we are not interested in advancing technology for humanity, we are mostly not interested in exploring the vastness of consciousness or the deep inner workings of our minds. We just want to come up with a bunch of petty reasons why we judge each other and pick each other apart. We want to make money and prove to our peers how much better then everyone we are and we are only interested in our own petty and selfish desires.

Humanity in the past was never as idealistic as the history books claim. The Americas were explored for profit, slavery was outlawed because it ceased to be economical, the space race was about weapons development, computers were developed to calculate bomb trajectories, women got equal rights because it made them larger consumers, and I could go on. Things happen, quite often for small petty reasons and those things later tie into a much larger societal change. Even the constitution wasn't written out of idealism but rather political expediency and the entire thing was a work of compromise that all involved believed would fail within 5 years.

Everyone acts out of selfish desire, Mozart and DaVinci are two of the greatest geniuses in the world, and have touched billions of people for the better. They acted out of financial interest. Werner Von Braun is the man who put the moon within our reach. We never would have gotten anything off the planet if not for him, and he was a petty, cruel, man who worked with the Nazi's and made rockets that killed hundreds of thousands. Yet, without him we wouldn't have a rover on Mars, an Interntional Space Station, and even SpaceX wouldn't be a thing. You can't look only at the bad and dismiss the good.

What is it?

Years ago I read an article speaking of the power of 1% of the population on any subject. This wasn't referring to 1% from a financial standpoint but rather an interest and skills standpoint. I've since forgotten the quote and am not eloquent enough to create my own, so let me just introduce you to the idea, though I think it's more like the 0.01%. Most people are not involved in the great steps humanity takes. Nasa employs fewer than 1% of our scientists, fewer than 1% of our population is making 100% of our digital distractions, 1 per 50,000 of us goes to Congress and makes things happen.

Just because the masses of people aren't doing these things doesn't mean that they aren't being done. Everyone has their own specializations but a breakthrough for humanity only requires 1 person who is interested in the subject.

originally posted by: SystemResistor
For example, many people can use a smart phone, but would have little or no clue about electronics.

Many people barely even understand how a combustion engine works, yet cars are apart of our lives.

You can imagine when we evolve further, what we know now that we are taught at school is extensively greater than what the average person could learn in his or her lifetime not only 500 years ago.

These ideas are often brought up as a sign of the impending Idiocracy but I disagree. I see it as proof that humanity is advancing. Our knowledge and the application of that knowledge is becoming so complex that people must specialize in order to be influential in that field. That specialization creates deeper knowledge and a need for more people to fill the specializations. With that need increasing, we see positive feedback that humanity is becoming smarter because our technology continues to advance. This also happens to make us more reliant on each other, and when this interdependence is created, it forces us to live alongside each other and put aside prejudices.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I have felt and continue to experience your pain. The unraveling of the world's problems in my research produced a few hopeful islands that I place a lot of my focus on because I know the monster's still in the closet and still desires my focus. I will list for you the things that help me in the hope that they will lift you up or at the very least serve as a timely distraction...

1. Becoming a father and my son's divine ability to remind me of a forgotten, glowing, optimistic, form of consciousness.
1. Permaculture and its community/everyman inventions.
2. The internet and its inherent capability to spread awareness and life-improving skill sets.
3. Spending time in nature as often as possible, including gardening.
4. Meditation and exercise.
5. Well made video games such as Deus Ex: Human Revolution or Smash Brothers.
6. Intriguing people who tickle my interest (I know they're not right all the time but nobody is) in the unknown such as Graham Hancock, Randall Carlson, Terence McKenna, Carl Jung.
7. Great music such as Tool, Flogging Molly, Desert Dwellers, Perfect Circle, Slightly Stoopid and Wilco.
8. Social changes regarding the views of altering of one's consciousness and the resulting changes it will undoubtedly bring.

I can't think of them all but when the clouds form I go to one or many of these sanctuaries and in light of them still believe we are on an upward path. Good luck and remember, reality is apparently alive and presumably has an epic purpose.
edit on 12-2-2015 by SlickMcFavorite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

The problems humanity faces today can all be summed up in one word.

There is no coordinated plan to rule the world. There is no alien agenda to enslave or save mankind. There are no elitist a**holes out to eliminate us useless feeders.

There is one thing like I said. One emotion has captured almost the entirety of this planet’s population.

Greed.

It’s that simple.

Opt out. Stop being greedy. It’s catching on.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I just don't understand why everyone is so preoccupied with such bull#.

I don't why everyone always speaks for everyone.

have we just lost our path and focus and forgotten that there is a vast universe at our fingertips that we can explore and experience?

I haven't, have you or any other readers?

I will just assume anyone that answers will say no like me.

Why ask us if you want to participate in the madness you perceive?

Do you not know what you want, are there evil magicians behind the scenes manipulating you?

You have a choice to do or to complain about your perception of what other people are not doing.

I think you might be tumbling and tripping over here and there on the path you walk but all you need to do is find your footing and take it one step at a time again and before you know it your balance will be restored.

Its an individuals issues that creates a cultural issue, don't look at the culture before you look at the individual other wise you will stumble and wont be wanting walk the path you have chosen or participate in the madness if that is how its perceived.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: okyouwin

I know everyone is very selfish and greedy including myself at times.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

O going to the stars and having a Lamborghini space ship that's goes on one litre of gas is the corporate and mainstream dream. Earth as a whole ain't particularly ready for a full out space exploration , even though were ready to just explore our insignificant solar system. Although I guarantee, humanities greed and curiosity will be enough to set sail among the heavens.

The whole planet has been divided for thousands of years whether religious or royalty reasons, when only recently it has fully been connected by technology. There was never a point in time before the modern world that it was connected, although ancient religions may say differently, but that not the case. And what would happen if we were too advance further, only new problems would be showing, taking places of the old ones? Technologies a double edge sword.

It better to deal with most of the problems on our little earth as best as possible, because space will be bringing more. Forget the stars and the gods, they are only there to remind us there much more mystery's out there that are dreamt of in our philosophy of the heavens.

Me personally, I'd rather stay on terra ferma
edit on 12-2-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

The universe was meant for us to explore and populate with
the knowledge, help, guidance and relationship of our
own SUPERHERO, so to speak. Mans attempt to go it alone
has failed and realising that, he has began to eat away at himself.
edit on Ram21215v33201500000048 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I'm not a huge fan of the cultural story we have, and are, writing.

So, I decided to consciously write a new one, in cooperation with others.

I always liked the idea of returning to a much simpler and more self sufficient life, but using cutting edge technology. It gives the ability to meet the basic needs of all, including facets which may not be a "need," but greatly facilitate the growth of the society (like the internet). If designed with the concept in mind, such a system can also encourage self sufficiency at the same time as raising the quality of life for all involved.

We also ended up designing an economy which bases the currency in real world value through an algorithm that can evolve over time.

I think that so many have related the advancement of our tools with the advancement of our species as a whole, but I think it might be more accurate to view it in terms of how well we use the tools we create.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

The universe was meant for us to explore and populate with
the knowledge, help, guidance and relationship of our
own SUPERHERO, so to speak. Mans attempt to go it alone
has failed and realising that, he has began to eat away at himself.

I get what your saying and totally agree randy.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen
It better to deal with most of the problems on our little earth as best as possible, because space will be bringing more. Forget the stars and the gods, they are only there to remind us there much more mystery's out there that are dreamt of in our philosophy of the heavens.

If we held ourselves to solving the problems at home before exploring we never would have sailed west from Europe.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I get what your saying and totally agree randy.

You should be informed that I read everything you post.
You have a talent for the fascinating.

SnF

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
If we held ourselves to solving the problems at home before exploring we never would have sailed west from Europe.

This assumption is wrong. If there had been established a society based on other rules than money - we still would have sailed to anywhere in the world, including research in space engineering. Point is, the financial system makes people work against each other and not with each other. What the world provides today is unfriendly competition - even in "entertainment and fun" on a daily basis. It's only about the winner. By stomping others into the ground. And what for? All for the money. Many people don't even realize that, when they look their yearly soccer matches. That's how brainwashed they are. Thinking "what is wrong with football, ice hockey, ski worldcup?"... there you go. They still don't get it...

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: anotherdaytoday

originally posted by: Aazadan

This assumption is wrong. If there had been established a society based on other rules than money - we still would have sailed to anywhere in the world, including research in space engineering. Point is, the financial system makes people work against each other and not with each other. What the world provides today is unfriendly competition - even in "entertainment and fun" on a daily basis. It's only about the winner. By stomping others into the ground. And what for? All for the money. Many people don't even realize that, when they look their yearly soccer matches. That's how brainwashed they are. Thinking "what is wrong with football, ice hockey, ski worldcup?"... there you go. They still don't get it...

Without money there would be a barter system. Money is a more efficient means of exchange.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I think we are all here for a reason and our time here is limited.
That being said there must be something we can do in the here and now even if its just sharing information with like minded people meditating on what desired outcomes you may want for this version of reality. Our intentions are not unnoticed and the things we all do echoe into eternity, nothing is limited in an infinate universe.

So we serve out our earthly time with good wishes for our fellow beings and hope for a better day for this manifestation of life.
Then there is action, taking matters into our own hands to nudge society in the directions we wish it to take wether through forums like this one, helping others like homeless, helping animals, or speaking to friends about our good wishes for humanity. Everything we do changes things a little and knowledge spreads just like ignorance spreads, people all know whats right and wrong.

Its only a matter of time before our society stops being willfully ignorant and starts being willfully wise.
edit on 12-2-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

imho, no one is in control.
but if i believe someone is in control of my life, i will create a delusion (reality) that i'm being controlled.
whatever available in here and now is the most important in life experience.
it may sound selfish, i know.
it's okay to feel angry about persecution of the weaks in other countries, but there are many around us that also need our helps. i think it's a good idea to help them. it will affect others too. and slowly more people will get interested in helping others.

peace

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Are you saying the world is full of black magicians ?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Until people put down their dogmatic religious beliefs and nationalism sentiments, things aren't going to change. Those two things keep dragging us back like shackles.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
This talk seems relevant to me (and he is fun to listen to)

www.ted.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Cool thread. I hear a lot of talk, though. And not much action.

"time out for excuses, and time in for execution"

edit on 13-2-2015 by southernplayalistic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join