It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Routine trip to the dentist saves 11 yr old's life after he finds pancreatic tumor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Dentist noticed the whites of her eyes were yellow

An Oklahoma girl has thanked her dentist for saving her life after a routine checkup lead to the discovery of a serious tumor.

Journee Woodard, 11, was having her teeth cleaned at her family dentist in Edmond when the dental hygienist noticed the white of her eyes seemed to be an unusual shade of yellow.

'She asked me to take a look, I took a look and said that does look abnormal,' the dentist, Dr Michael Chandler, told KFOR 4.

Doctors were also worried about the color of Journee's eyes and ordered a CAT scan and MRI.

The results showed that Journee had a large mass on her liver and pancreas.

She was admitted to the University of Oklahoma Childrens Hospital straight away.

They had to perform a Whipple procedure to remove part of Journee's pancreas, stomach, gall bladder and part of the intestine.

Journee's mother said she remained in the ICU for the next seven to 10 days.

'Imagine taking your little girl to the dentist on a Monday morning for a routine cleaning, and by Friday, she is fighting for her life,' Mrs Woodard said.

Insane! According to a fundraising page the family set up to cover medical not covered by insurance, the tumor was the size of a grapefruit! Makes you wonder not only how long it had to grow I this poor girl, but also too, what other symptoms this child had that may have been written off as something else? Curious.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

That is a great article. Bet that is the only occasion a dentist has played a major role in treatment of pancreatic cancer.

I thought pancreatic cancer was one of the toughest to treat but according to the article they rushed her into surgery as soon as they confirmed the mass was there. Perhaps it is easier to operate on when the patient is young?

Kudos to the dentist and dental hygienist. Uplifting story, we need more of these!

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: Anyafaj

That is a great article. Bet that is the only occasion a dentist has played a major role in treatment of pancreatic cancer.

I thought pancreatic cancer was one of the toughest to treat but according to the article they rushed her into surgery as soon as they confirmed the mass was there. Perhaps it is easier to operate on when the patient is young?

Kudos to the dentist and dental hygienist. Uplifting story, we need more of these!

This girl got very lucky in this particular case, but I'm betting she still has a very long road to haul.

That's what I was thinking as well. I think for this girl it was luck and timing. According to the article they still have to do a biopsy on the tumor to confirm she's cancer free. My prayers are with this kid!

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Ironically, i was just looking up pancreatic cancer. Yeah, it's essentially a death sentence. One of the sources claimed a 5% survival rate by 5 years of diagnosis due to the usual spread when found. I had a great uncle that made it 9 months before his entire body was full of cancer.

Eta: I just looked up the Whipple procedure from the article. 20-25% were alive after 5 years And some patients were possibly in full remission. The pancreas is an interesting organ.
edit on 11-2-2015 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
Ironically, i was just looking up pancreatic cancer. Yeah, it's essentially a death sentence. One of the sources claimed a 5% survival rate by 5 years of diagnosis due to the usual spread when found. I had a great uncle that made it 9 months before his entire body was full of cancer.

Eta: I just looked up the Whipple procedure from the article. 20-25% were alive after 5 years And some patients were possibly in full remission. The pancreas is an interesting organ.

I had to look it up too as I'd never heard of it before today.

2nd

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The article said they are still waiting on pathology reports to determine if its malignant or not.

I pray for her sake it is not. If it is pancreatic cancer it is just a matter of time. Success with PC is considered living longer than 5 years after diagnosis.

And those 5 years are rare.

Poor kid, awesome that the dentist caught it and gave her a fighting chance at least.

top topics

join