It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to Shovel Snow For a Few Extra Dollars? Nope...It's Gonna Cost You.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Didn't they kill Eric Garner for selling a few cigarettes?

If the cops are stopping people from "making a buck" then the true meaning of the word Capitalism according to the constitution is gone. If authorities police the little guy out of entrepreneurship and do that for the state, thats called Fascism…

edit on 11-2-2015 by intrptr because: spelling, what else?

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

If he did it without proper permits, a business license, paying taxes, and insurance then yes hes a criminal. Our rules are here to help the community. He deserves a felony and 10 years hard labor in the coal mines.

The rule of law, not the law of the jungle.
edit on 2/11/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

How does it help the community to tell a kid they cannot make any money for themselves if they have a bit of time and the tools available?

If your grandmother needed her driveway shoveled and gave you 20 dollars for that should you have to have a 450 dollar permit in order to shovel her drive?

Some things are beyond crazy...

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

The rule of law is for everyone no exceptions.

This is the world YOU and every American wants to live in. I know this because we are living in it and if we didn't want to live in it we would do something to change it.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Maybe they just need a new approach.

What if they offered the service for free while emphasizing to the homeowner that tips are welcome?

Do you need a permit to volunteer and/or to accept gifts in New Jersey?

ETA; I'd just bet they'd average way more than $20 per house too.

edit on 11-2-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

How does it help the community to tell a kid they cannot make any money for themselves if they have a bit of time and the tools available?

If your grandmother needed her driveway shoveled and gave you 20 dollars for that should you have to have a 450 dollar permit in order to shovel her drive?

Some things are beyond crazy...

No you don't need a permit for shovelling grama's driveway.

You only need a permit if you are soliciting business door-to-door.

But you had damn well better claim that $20 on your tax return (or your parents tax return if you're underage), otherwise you (or your parents) can be charged with breaking the law - tax evasion.

If you rob a bank and don't claim the self-employed earnings on your tax return (no permit necessary), you run the risk of spending more time in prison for that crime... than the crime of robbing a bank.

Yes, the world is that nuts.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Well best they learn young what their are growing up into......

Total rubbish.

What about shoveling snow for their neighbors for free and then at christmas/birthday getting a present conveniently priced atthe amount that would be X days worth of driveways clear of snow.

Total lunacy, what a way to get kids into work, work hard get screwed. At least theres no taxes selling drugs.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Well the machine itself is more important than the people it was meant to help in the first place you know.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I wonder why these guys felt the need to tell the police what they were doing in the first place. Walking around with shovels isn't a crime is it? I think we all need to spend a bit of time. To make sure our children know the role of police in society and what proper respect for someone in that role is, and also their rights as citizens when dealing with the police in any given circumstances.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish
a reply to: jude11

Maybe they just need a new approach.

What if they offered the service for free while emphasizing to the homeowner that tips are welcome?

Do you need a permit to volunteer and/or to accept gifts in New Jersey?

ETA; I'd just bet they'd average way more than $20 per house too.

An easy work-around to this ridiculous door-to-door permit thing is to just place an ad in the newspaper offering your snow shovelling services.

No permit required.

Easy peasy.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

They call it a 'permit' but its still "taxing". Thats why the people revolted once upon a time.

DEFINITION OF 'TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION'
A situation in which a government imposes taxes on a particular group of its citizens, despite the citizens not consenting or having an actual representative deliver their views when the taxation decision was made. This situation was one of the triggering events that spurred the original thirteen American colonies to revolt against the British Empire.

Source

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I'll lay odds that there is some landscaping company that also shovels and plows snow behind this.
When I lived in Florida, I was fined $100 for changing the oil in my car. They had a law that said that you couldn't do vehicle maintenance that was visible from the street. Did a little research and found out that the head of the Town Council owned the Jiffy Lube. I got the fine dropped by threatening to go to the local television station.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

At least theres no taxes selling drugs.

LOL

Yes there is.

All crimes committed that you're receiving an income from, are tax applicable.

Report the earnings on your tax return as "robbed a bank" or "sold a kilo of dope" and the government doesn't care, so long as you are paying your taxes. They are not obligated by law to report your crime to the authorities.

But of course you run the risk of some do-gooder working at the IRS of making a little 'anonymous' phone call to the police.

But hey, at least you won't get charged with tax evasion too !

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
That's outrageous! Good for you. The head of our town council owns a construction company, and we've recently had to shut down bylaws regarding new home construction by homeowners and small businesses. It's funny how a bit (we're a small town, so I'm talking a minuscule amount) of power is enough to push someone to disregard other people's freedoms and livelihoods. a reply to: JIMC5499

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

my son never charged anyone, and when he first did it he was surprised people gave him money.. but they did, and he made good money doing it.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

An easy work-around to this ridiculous door-to-door permit thing is to just place an ad in the newspaper offering your snow shovelling services.

No permit required.

Easy peasy.

Now, if I can only find my paper under all that snow…

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

They call it a 'permit' but its still "taxing". Thats why the people revolted once upon a time.

DEFINITION OF 'TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION'
A situation in which a government imposes taxes on a particular group of its citizens, despite the citizens not consenting or having an actual representative deliver their views when the taxation decision was made. This situation was one of the triggering events that spurred the original thirteen American colonies to revolt against the British Empire.

Source

Are you saying that these two, voting age teens live in an area that's not allowed to have a representative in their government?

The colonists had a beef because they were being taxed by the government in England, where they had no representative to express their views.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Now, if I can only find my paper under all that snow…

Heh.

Yell at the kids across the street to come shovel it out for you.

At least they didn't come knocking on your door offering to shovel out your newspaper...

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I was just lamenting how in my area, the kids have zero hustle. We just got two feet of snow dumped on us and I would have gladly paid a kid or anyone a few bucks to shovel. I told my wife that I would probably be making six figures as a 15 year old in they neighborhood we live in now. Small yards and lazy homeowners who would gladly pay a neighborhood kid to do some basic yard work. I didn't have a real job until college because I used to cut grass and rake leaves as a teen to earn spending money. I cut all my neighbors yards and earned well above minimum wage doing so too.

I've already decided when my kid gets old enough, I'm buying him a snow blower and some shovels. He is going to get out there and hustle and learn how to make a living and how business works.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join