It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disability and Welfare

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
a reply to: Anyafaj

Wow that sounds like some serious bad luck. I have a developmental disability as well, not as severe as your daughter's, but I was almost placed in a group home... I barely avoided that by deciding to live with some friends for a while. Now I am actually on disability and in HUD housing. I hope to one day be able to work my way out of my situation, but for now I am glad the system is in place.

I used to be a "Why me" person, but it was such a wasted energy. Now my daughter and I both look on the bright side of things. We feel blessed that things aren't worse than they are. She was born dead and died 3 times the day she was born. I almost died as well. (Listeria bacteria passed to the placenta) She could have no ability to feed herself, not be able to walk, not be able to talk, we are lucky that she CAN do those things. She has a severe gag reflex and if she's eating too fast, she will choke and throw up. She feels bad afterwards, but I just calmly remind her to go a little slower next time, is all. I'd rather have her here than not at all. I had 3 miscarriages before her and 2 after. As far as I'm concerned, I'm blessed just to have her. I'll take every blessing she shows me along the way.

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join