It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disability and Welfare

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueMule
a reply to: Anyafaj

😞

Wish I could give you a hug 💐

👣

Thank you, that's very sweet of you.

I'm ok, just as you can see SSI is a sore subject. My daughter is one of the sweetest people you would ever meet, to her everyone is her friend, even the bullies.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

The system is heartless and disgusting. So tired of depraved tyrants deciding who gets what and when. They decide everything about us and rarely do the rules apply to them. If it was one of their daughters they'd make sure she'd receive all the benefits she could.

Exactly. I ended up getting her a lawyer, even with the lawyer, because of the system, it took him 8 years of fighting them. I was stunned that it only took me 2! I would have thought with her being worse than me, she would have gotten approved more quickly! Boy was I ever wrong. Myself, I went to VESSID in NY to see if I was eligible to work. They determined because of my disability, I could only work an hour a day. Obviously no employer is going to hire someone for an hour a day. They're the ones who recommended I file for SSI. I was 25 credits shy of SSDI I think it was??? I forget, it's been about 10, 15 years. I was having problems with narcolepsy at the time and sleeping on the job. No matter what I did to stay awake, I'd fall asleep. I couldn't help it. Plus being on my feet 10 hours a day caused me to be severely hunched over for days at a time. I couldn't stand straight. It was putting too much stress on the rod in my spine.

Complications of Harrington Rod

Even though they mention surgery to remove the rod and implant a newer one, what they don't mention are the risks. Paralysis. You risk paralysis removing the rod, and you risk paralysis putting a new one in. You're playing with the spine after all. I figure if I'm risking paralysis just leaving it there, then just leave the dang thing there and pray for the best. In the meantime,

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3
Yes, reporting the abuse and fraud is a great idea.

But be prepared.
Don't live anywhere near the people you are reporting if you can help it. I was the "suspect", which I was, but then I was broke into 3 times for my troubles. And threatened by the boyfriend. Luckily my idiot ex was scarier than he was.

And sometimes, nothing gets done, no matter how much you report it. Which just makes you want to give up.

edit on 11-2-2015 by chiefsmom because: clarify

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I never had any problem when I reported abusers in WA state. But, the reporter is anonymous here.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

I work 32 hours a week and they demand from me to spend time finding a payed job for my welfare.

This system is now in use for everyone out here.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
theres a difference between welfare and disability.

That's true.... But cheaters come in all 'brands.'

I have had occasion to watch a TV programme where the

council investigates claiments who have been reported to

them.

They investigate people who are receiving payments, who

claim they cannot walk more than a few yards and are virtually

wheelchair bound and breathless. Those with partners are

receiving a carers allowance too for looking after them.

The undercover investigator films them over a few months

#playing golf, #driving themselves, #loading up cars,

#carrying luggage, #flying abroad on exotic holidays, #scuba

diving, etc.

The best part is when they get called in to the office, and

the performance they put on getting out of the wheel chair

to sit on the chair etc. LOL!! some of them deserve an *Oscar*

for their performance. Some of them have also had full time

work as Bus Drivers, labourers and other legit jobs. The out

come is usually they have been doing it for up to ten years an

had been paid sums in excess of £135,000 plus!

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj
My daughter was born missing part of her brain and is very severely disabled. Would you believe it took us EIGHT years to get her approved for disability. You know why? According to the judge her brain would grow back. He had her birthday wrong, and kept referring to my daughter as a he in the entire summation. I never knew of brains growing back, but I've been waiting for that miracle to happen for 20 years now, nope, still waiting.

I was approved within 2 years. And she is admittedly more severely disabled than I am. I'm sorry but to me missing part of your brain takes precedent over all over disability. Especially if you have to be trained to toss a ball from one hand to the other, something I'm sure almost everyone on this thread can do without thinking. We had to physically teach her how to do. She will never ride a two wheel bike, she doesn't have the body coordination for it. At the age of 19, her handwriting is that of a 2nd grader, and reading skills are that of a 4th grader and she thinks a $5 bill is a $50. But as far as SSI was concerned, she's fine. Yeah, that's why she lives in a group home and is still attending high school until she's 25, because she's "fine".
Social security likes to deny people because it looks good on paper. You case is pretty severe that is messed up. Missing half her brain but still denied? Wow don't you just want to beat the tar out of that judge.

I had something similar happen to me. I have schizophrenia I spent 10 years trying to work. My illness kept getting in the way and was very problematic for me. My doctor is a MD out of a local hospital. He's very well known in the medical community and highly regarded. I've been a patient of his for 15 years. He was the one that suggested I go on disability. Social securitys medical examiner knew my doctor. She approved my disability but the claims examiner over road her decision. The judge flat out called my doctor a liar. She said my doctor was just being sympathetic to my cause. It took me 6 years to get disability. I was one step away from living on the streets. I thought about just commuting a crime so I'd have a roof over my head.

I just figured I'd share my story in dealing with social security. Good luck with your situation I know it's not easy surviving in this country on peanuts.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome

originally posted by: Anyafaj
My daughter was born missing part of her brain and is very severely disabled. Would you believe it took us EIGHT years to get her approved for disability. You know why? According to the judge her brain would grow back. He had her birthday wrong, and kept referring to my daughter as a he in the entire summation. I never knew of brains growing back, but I've been waiting for that miracle to happen for 20 years now, nope, still waiting.

I was approved within 2 years. And she is admittedly more severely disabled than I am. I'm sorry but to me missing part of your brain takes precedent over all over disability. Especially if you have to be trained to toss a ball from one hand to the other, something I'm sure almost everyone on this thread can do without thinking. We had to physically teach her how to do. She will never ride a two wheel bike, she doesn't have the body coordination for it. At the age of 19, her handwriting is that of a 2nd grader, and reading skills are that of a 4th grader and she thinks a $5 bill is a $50. But as far as SSI was concerned, she's fine. Yeah, that's why she lives in a group home and is still attending high school until she's 25, because she's "fine".
Social security likes to deny people because it looks good on paper. You case is pretty severe that is messed up. Missing half her brain but still denied? Wow don't you just want to beat the tar out of that judge.

I had something similar happen to me. I have schizophrenia I spent 10 years trying to work. My illness kept getting in the way and was very problematic for me. My doctor is a MD out of a local hospital. He's very well known in the medical community and highly regarded. I've been a patient of his for 15 years. He was the one that suggested I go on disability. Social securitys medical examiner knew my doctor. She approved my disability but the claims examiner over road her decision. The judge flat out called my doctor a liar. She said my doctor was just being sympathetic to my cause. It took me 6 years to get disability. I was one step away from living on the streets. I thought about just commuting a crime so I'd have a roof over my head.

I just figured I'd share my story in dealing with social security. Good luck with your situation I know it's not easy surviving in this country on peanuts.

She's actually missing part of her brain that connects the left half with the right half. It never formed in fetal development. The best way to describe it, the body is NY State. The left half of the brain is NYC, and the right half is Buffalo. There is no phone line, no internet, no road connecting the two cities at all. Over 250 MILLION neurons are missing. But NYC is telling NY what to do, and at the same time, Buffalo is telling NY what to do, and NY doesn't know which city to listen to, so it's listening to BOTH CITIES AT THE SAME TIME! Leading to a LOT of messed up wiring, confusion, connections, and things of this nature. There are some children with this who will never walk, never talk, and need a feeding tube the rest of their life. We are blessed that my daughter is not one of these. However she does have seizure disorder, she has very severe ADHD, Dysgraphia (handwriting disability), dyslexia, split-brain personality (a rough diagram at the site)

The white part is the corpus callosum. In the bottom photo, you see the black shaded area, that is what her brain looks like. The white part is completely missing.

Agensis of the Corpus Callosum

Agenesis of the corpus callosum (ACC) is a rare congenital disorder that is one of the most common brain malformations observed in human beings, in which the corpus callosum is partially or completely absent. ACC is usually diagnosed within the first two years of life, and may manifest as a severe syndrome in infancy or childhood, as a milder condition in young adults, or as an asymptomatic incidental finding. Initial symptoms of ACC usually include seizures, which may be followed by feeding problems and delays in holding the head erect, sitting, standing, and walking. Other possible symptoms may include impairments in mental and physical development, hand-eye coordination, and visual and auditory memory. Hydrocephaly may also occur. In mild cases, symptoms such as seizures, repetitive speech, or headaches may not appear for years.

ACC is usually not fatal. Treatment usually involves management of symptoms, such as hydrocephaly and seizures, if they occur. Although many children with the disorder lead normal lives and have average intelligence, careful neuropsychological testing reveals subtle differences in higher cortical function compared to individuals of the same age and education without ACC. Children with ACC accompanied by developmental delay and/or seizure disorders should be screened for metabolic disorders.

In addition to agenesis of the corpus callosum, similar conditions are hypogenesis (partial formation), dysgenesis (malformed), and hypoplasia (underdevelopment, including too thin).

Recent studies have also linked possible correlations between corpus callosum malformation and autism spectrum disorders.

Kim Peek, a savant and the inspiration behind the movie Rain Man, was found with agenesis of the corpus callosum.

Some children, such as my daughter, with ACC, also have very severe behavioral issues. My daughter also has autism, and when you combine the two, let's just say getting my butt kicked was delightful! And being told by her psych doctor that it was my fault for my spouse leaving and ignoring her, just made the experience even more a delight! She's in a group home now with 3 other girls and is doing really good. She comes home on the weekends and is very well behaved and our 5-10 year goal is to work on her maybe moving back in for good. It depends on her behavior over the years of course. Because of my spine, every time she beat me, I risked being paralyzed. I know she didn't understand it because her IQ is 50. She operates on an 8-12 yr old level, even though, physically she's 19. She doesn't understand her own strength.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

theres a difference between welfare and disability.

That's true.... But cheaters come in all 'brands.'

I have had occasion to watch a TV programme where the

council investigates claiments who have been reported to

them.

They investigate people who are receiving payments, who

claim they cannot walk more than a few yards and are virtually

wheelchair bound and breathless. Those with partners are

receiving a carers allowance too for looking after them.

The undercover investigator films them over a few months

#playing golf, #driving themselves, #loading up cars,

#carrying luggage, #flying abroad on exotic holidays, #scuba

diving, etc.

The best part is when they get called in to the office, and

the performance they put on getting out of the wheel chair

to sit on the chair etc. LOL!! some of them deserve an *Oscar*

for their performance. Some of them have also had full time

work as Bus Drivers, labourers and other legit jobs. The out

come is usually they have been doing it for up to ten years an

had been paid sums in excess of £135,000 plus!
ain't that sweet? You watched a tv programm? I guess your an expert now? I hope you didn't get too angry watching it
edit on 12-2-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

It sounds fake honestly. Wouldn't it create the possibility of lawsuits and liability because not everyone wants to be filmed, especially faking claims like that. My experience with shows like this is that they're mostly lies and what little truth they do have is embellished.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme I just find it sad how easily people are played watching these tv reality shows. Sad that some cheap tv can form their opinions and have them shaking their fists at the tv, sad that they envy some sad guys life whether he's I'll or not. It's not the life anyone should aspire too or feel hard done by that someone gets their meagre benefits. Yet ignore the reckless bankers who received billions in government money much of which probably went on coke and high class hookers

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
My best friend of 35 years is on disability for a number of ailments, but WANTS to work, as the 1,000 a month he gets doesnt cover all the bills, plus take care of his 4 children (he's a single father). He WANTS to go back to work, but if he does, not only does he lose his money (he doesnt care about that), he loses his MEDICAL BENEFITS. He takes a bunch of meds daily for cardiac and related issues, and pretty much needs them to survive.
Here is someone that wants OFF the disability train, but has NO CHOICE but to keep riding...
Go figure..

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: woodwardjnr

It sounds fake honestly. Wouldn't it create the possibility of lawsuits and liability because not everyone wants to be filmed, especially faking claims like that. My experience with shows like this is that they're mostly lies and what little truth they do have is embellished.

Its not fake, if any benefits are claimed the council which pays

the benefits has the legal right to see what they are paying

for, they can also go into bank accounts. These people who are

proved to have committed fraud are taken to court and prosecuted.

To woodward jnr

YesI am pissed off .... as just an

average person paying taxes I am quite happy for them being used

for those that need it, NOT for frauds and cheats to live the high

life at mine and other tax payers expense.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheialifes too short to get pissed off over a channel 5 reality TV program. But if you want to live out your days in anger, that's up to you

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Hey brother, if you get SSI, or SSD, your VA benefits will NOT be affected. I know a vet that gets both.
And for the rest of the veterans reading this, if you have a service-connected disability and arent aeare of your benefits, go down to your local VA and apply. You can get medical and in some cases monetary compensation, and vocational training.
Its worth looking into.
I'm on 100% service connected, and in school for my bachelors degree, but would like to find a job in my field once i finish.
I dont want to be stuck on what I'm getting.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:10 AM
link   

a reply to: eletheialifes too short to get pissed off over a channel 5 reality TV program. But if you want to live out your days in anger, that's up to you

If it wasn't for the cheats there would be *more* (probably enough)

to go around to those who actually need it.......

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia calm down dear. You might find yourself needing it one day with all the anger your carrying around. No ones immune to illness or disablement

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Wow that sounds like some serious bad luck. I have a developmental disability as well, not as severe as your daughter's, but I was almost placed in a group home... I barely avoided that by deciding to live with some friends for a while. Now I am actually on disability and in HUD housing. I hope to one day be able to work my way out of my situation, but for now I am glad the system is in place.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Try being me for a while i got disability for 3 weeks then sent for a medical where i was aske3d can i make a cup of tea ,pick up a empty cardboard box , and walk 50 meters to the medical office , that makes you fit for work in the U.K .

I have sciatica and can not walk some days no doctor will give me any medication or any sick note for this 3 years later still no money i have survived on less than a $ 1000 from the state in 3 years .

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

No I just got tossed OUT of school by the VA for memory issues and am now appkying for SSI .I want to know how the VA disability affects that.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join