It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to form new agency - Cyber Threat Intelligence Information Center.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I couldn't find this posted already, sorry if I missed it.

I wondered when the Target, Sony, Home Depot, and now Anthem breaches happened what agenda was being pushed thru. I hope we don't lose more privacy in exchange for more false protection, though it looks like that is exactly what is happening.

Cnet

President Barack Obama in December blamed North Korea for the Sony hack, one of many attacks targeting US businesses. A new agency, set to be announced Tuesday, will oversee the sharing of intelligence on cyberthreats. Getty Images Cyberterrorism now has the level of attention within the Obama administration as its real-world counterpart. The US government is set to announce Tuesday the creation of a new agency, called the Cyber Threat Intelligence Integration Center, that will focus on combating virtual threats like massive hacking operations and attacks on US infrastructure, according to a report from The Washington Post. The agency will be modeled after the National Terrorism Center, which was developed following the September 11, 2001 attacks as a means to fuse together intelligence from multiple departments, long thought to be a critical shortcoming. With the new agency, the government will now be able to gather and share information on cyberthreats across the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the National Security Agency and the Central Intelligence Agency, among other agencies.

edit on 10-2-2015 by AmethystWolf because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-2-2015 by AmethystWolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Yay, just what Americans need -- something else to justify nosing around people's personal lives. The NSA couldn't have added this to their own ranks . . . why now? That alone should make people wonder exactly what is going to be done so differently that it needs different oversight instead of being a part of an existing intelligence agency (NSA, CIA even)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Don't mean to thread drift but wasn't the Sony hack determined to be a disgruntled ex employee? A female I believe? While the US was claiming it was NK weren't there some experienced hackers who verified it wasn't NK? I just assume that whatever the gov says the truth is probably the opposite...probably just to advance this or any other program/agency they can think up.

Back to the OP...Nothing good can come of this. We've seen it before and we'll see it again, once the government gets involved the s**t hits the fan.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavedweller88
Don't mean to thread drift but wasn't the Sony hack determined to be a disgruntled ex employee? A female I believe? While the US was claiming it was NK weren't there some experienced hackers who verified it wasn't NK? I just assume that whatever the gov says the truth is probably the opposite...

I actually wonder if these breaches really happened, and if they did, if they are being blown way out of proportion to instill fear. It's a proven formula to get people to sacrifice freedoms: fear = trading rights and privacy for the illusion of protection.

Sure seems convenient at a time when the govt is pushing for internet regulations too.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AmethystWolf
So it will be the job of this agency to publish an alert every week warning the American people that the NSA still exists and it is still collecting their communications information?

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Finally we have the answer to all the Sony hype.

Never let a crisis got to waste !!

Sony was the nail, we are in the coffin.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

What would constitute a cyber threat once such an agency is set up? I understand there are hacker groups like Anonymous out there, which appear to be just random people who do little ddos attacks on websites of their hating etc. Would that qualify as a threat? Or only high-level situations that would involve government websites or American corporations like Sony. Or will such a thing evolve into being the equivalent of online police. That notion of speeding in your car and seeing the red and blue lights in your rear-view mirror, except online in one way or another.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh a new word....CYBER-False Flag.....
Time to water the tree of liberty once more I thinks.....

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Just how many agencies do you need in the United States?

You already seem to have such a huge abundance of organisations and bureaucracies, many of them seeming to overlap in things that they do.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I am getting sick and tired of the government creating these new agencies to deal with threats we have known about for years. We have agencies that deal with this type of issue. How about we bump funding to those units in existence instead of reinventing the wheel every 6 months by expanding government.

top topics

join