It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cholesteral is now A-OK

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

yes that salt myth is over. The activists disguised as charities have now changed their names and are after suger

www.menshealth.com...

Men's Health Lists Fitness Sex Nutrition Health Weight Loss Guy Wisdom The Truth Behind 5 Food Myths By: Alan Aragon, M.S. Text Size Overview High Protein is Harmful Sweet Potatoes are Better Red Meat Causes Cancer HFCS is Fattening Salt Causes High Blood Pressure More Food Lists The Best Foods for Your 40s and Beyond The Best Foods for Your 20s 5 Steps to a Perfect Sandwich The Truth About Fiber The Best Foods for Your 30s All Food Lists » All Food Articles » Most Popular The Best Workouts for Any Age Have Better First-Time Sex The Safest Cities for Kids Why Are You Hungry After You Just Ate? Salt Causes High Blood Pressure Myth #5: "Salt causes high blood pressure and should be avoided." The origin: In the 1940s, a Duke University researcher named Walter Kempner, M.D., became famous for using salt restriction to treat people with high blood pressure. Later, studies confirmed that reducing salt could help reduce hypertension. What science really shows: Large-scale scientific reviews have determined there's no reason for people with normal blood pressure to restrict their sodium intake. Now, if you already have high blood pressure, you may be "salt sensitive." As a result, reducing the amount of salt you eat could be helpful. However, it's been known for the past 20 years that people with high blood pressure who don't want to lower their salt intake can simply consume more potassium-containing foods. Why? Because it's really the balance of the two minerals that matters. In fact, Dutch researchers determined that a low potassium intake has the same impact on your blood pressure as high salt consumption does. And it turns out, the average guy consumes 3,100 milligrams (mg) of potassium a day—1,600 mg less than recommended. The bottom line: Strive for a potassium-rich diet, which you can achieve by eating a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, and legumes. For instance, spinach, broccoli, bananas, white potatoes, and most types of beans each contain more than 400 mg potassium per serving.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

even smoking?

Tired of Control Freaks

Smoking is not exactly a needed part of the diet is it...granted small doses may do little to no harm but that really is not the point...is it ?

I know some folks who would emphatically disagree with that.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

No - the point of this thread is to give people the chance to realize that epidimiology is not all its cracked up to be. If you wish to continue taking your digs at me - why don't you do so on the two other threads I have posted - one about smoking bans and one about nicotine.

You would be more than welcome to come back for another smack-down.

Let this thread be about epidimiology and food!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

does anyone remember when meat was juicy because of the fat. Then consumers demanded that the fat had to go. Farmers had to breed chicken and pork to be leaner. They took the fat out of hamburger~

Now when you cook meat, you have to cover it in either bread crumbs or some kind of sauce or it dries out of you!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

You would be more than welcome to come back for another smack-down.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

For 40 years, these people encouraged and demanded that the public worship at the feet of public health. Eat margarine, not butter! No more than 1 or 2 eggs a week. They demanded that food manufacturers switch from saturated fats to man-made trans-fats and hydrogenated fats.

A little anecdote for you, I hope it is not too much off topic but find it relevant to the thread:

My spouse have cardiovascular disease in her family, putting her at some risks. Since about 1 year, she is on a very strict ketogenic diet (very high fat, moderate protein and very low carb). Previously she was taking fish oil to keep a favorable HDL/LDL ratio. After one year on the very high fat diet (full of saturated fat), her blood result came as ABSOLUTLY no degradation of an already very good blood test profile...

Strange hein? High fat diet have not caused increase in bad cholesterol level, and she kept a good ratio.

edit on 2015-2-10 by PeterMcFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I asked you politely to harrass me on one of the two other threads. What part of that did you not understand?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: PeterMcFly

I don't really find that strange at all. There are many people who experienced the same effect on a paleo diet. There are cultures like eskimos that ate very high cholesteral diets and they were fine until the white man came and introduced carbohydrates.

We all know that the US Nutritional Guidelines are not really about health - its about political lobbying by food producers to get more servings of their product into the Guideline and boost their profit margins.

I really fear that the reliance on epidimiology has really destroyed the credibility of science and public health. Following the money as long as I have already destroyed by trust.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Star to you.

I couldn't agree more with what you said!

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The fact that this is news shows that people haven't really been paying attention.

2008 WP - Study: Low-Carb Diet Best for Weight, Cholesterol:

A bigger surprise: The low-carb diet improved cholesterol more than the other two. Some critics had predicted the opposite.

2008 NYT - Good News on Saturated Fat:

If eating more saturated fat improved the dieters’ cholesterol profile (while also enabling them to lose weight even though their calories were not restricted), should the federal government and the American Heart Association stop warning people about saturated fats?

2007 Reuters -
Eggs will raise your cholesterol, and other myths
:

"Most people avoid eggs and probably if they have any kind of cardiovascular risk their physicians tell them to avoid eggs," Repovich said. "But really, there aren't a whole lot of studies that show that one or two eggs a day really make a difference to cholesterol levels."

2006 WP - Low-Fat Diet's Benefits Rejected:

Low-fat diets do not protect women against heart attacks, strokes, breast cancer or colon cancer, a major study has found, contradicting what had once been promoted as one of the cornerstones of a healthy lifestyle.

The eight-year study of nearly 50,000 middle-age and elderly women -- by far the largest, most definitive test of cutting fat from the diet -- did not find any clear evidence that doing so reduced their risks, undermining more than a decade of advice from many doctors.

2006 UCONN - Low-carbohydrate diets reduce heart disease risk, researcher finds:

The most popular method in the United States for losing weight – low-carbohydrate diets – can reduce a person’s risk of developing heart disease, according to a study conducted by a UConn researcher.

Jeff Volek, an assistant professor of kinesiology, reviewed more than a dozen clinical trials conducted since 2003 and examined low-carb diets and related risk factors for cardiovascular disease.

His findings were published last year in the Journal of Nutrition, the official publication of the American Society for Nutritional Sciences.

Volek’s analysis found that very low-carb diets outperform low-fat diets in lowering triglyceride (fat in the blood) and increasing HDL (good cholesterol).

And on and on. That took about 3 minutes to compile. It's fun to rag on scientists and doctors but scientific knowledge is constantly evolving, incorporating new information and tossing out what's been invalidated. Trying to use the results of this study to condemn prevailing scientific opinion on other issues is misguided.

Going on about vaccines? Consider the successes vaccination led to against numerous diseases in the 20th century. Polio? Measles? Mumps? How about Rabies? Ever wondered what happens if you're exposed to Rabies and you don't go through PEP? I'd like to see some of you really stick by your guns if you're ever bitten by a rabid animal or if there's a pandemic of something like Polio crippling and killing people en masse. First world blabbering.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Great... now can they stop making everything "low fat" and "diet", I'm sick of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I agree - science evolves! However epidimiology stays the same and has stayed the same all my life - use statistics to produce the study that the customer wants!

However, of all the articles you posted, they go back about 13 years. That means scientist knew about this more than 13 years ago.

Has anyone noticed that nothing has changed? That doctors are still requiring that you take statins, that there are still activist charities out there demanding that food companies be sued for putting too much fat in food? Lobbying politicians for more regulations?

This article is only about changing nutritional guidelines.

When are doctors going to told to stop prescribing statins at the drop of a hat?

Exactly when was the Surgeon General going to tell the government to turn the horse around. How about the World Health Organization?

They seem to have no trouble demanding regulation when it suits them - when were they going to demand the repeal of the legislation they had put into place?\

'After 40 years of harrassment "OK...bummer" is all we get?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Cholesterol is needed by your body, most importantly your brain.
Starving yourself of natural cholesterol makes your body produce it, that product is extremely bad.

I have done the ketogenic diet, high fat/low carb. I've done all the research. And it makes the most sense.

Eat your damn butter, its good for you. I only eat real butter.

Saturated fat causing heart disease is a myth.
Body makes bad cholesterol when it doesn't get enough natural.
Brain needs good cholesterol to run properly.

Perhaps there's some sort of relation to alzheimers and other mental disorders that stem directly from diet. The keto diet has been proven to work with people with alz, and epilepsy, just generally being overweight. As long as your parts work i recommend it.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: PeterMcFly

For 40 years, these people encouraged and demanded that the public worship at the feet of public health. Eat margarine, not butter! No more than 1 or 2 eggs a week. They demanded that food manufacturers switch from saturated fats to man-made trans-fats and hydrogenated fats.

A little anecdote for you, I hope it is not too much off topic but find it relevant to the thread:

My spouse have cardiovascular disease in her family, putting her at some risks. Since about 1 year, she is on a very strict ketogenic diet (very high fat, moderate protein and very low carb). Previously she was taking fish oil to keep a favorable HDL/LDL ratio. After one year on the very high fat diet (full of saturated fat), her blood result came as ABSOLUTLY no degradation of an already very good blood test profile...

Strange hein? High fat diet have not caused increase in bad cholesterol level, and she kept a good ratio.

Watch the movie Fat Head, it's a huge eye opener, I suggest EVERYONE go watch it.

The human body has thrived off of animal fat for not only survival but for bursts of energy, hormone control, child development, and our brains are actually extremely fatty.
It was since the agricultural revolution did humans teeth start to decay and all these weird on set disease come in because we filled our bellys full of useless junk food like bread and refined grains. Now we do that mostly with sugary substances.

Sometimes the best answer is the easiest, and our bodies TELL US what the easiest thing is to do. Eat moderate amounts of saturated fat, low simple carbs, good amounts of proteins, and you'll be fine.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Sometimes the best answer is the easiest, and our bodies TELL US what the easiest thing is to do. Eat moderate amounts of saturated fat, low simple carbs, good amounts of proteins, and you'll be fine.

I don't want to derail the thread but I'm compulsed to talk a little on sugars (and carbs):

I assume when you say "low simple carbs", you mean the low molecular weight carbs. Like Monosaccharide and Disaccharide, right?

They are the worst... If you have to consume carbs, take high molecular weight Polysaccharide (slow carbs). And avoid anything that have fructose as building block.

I am convinced that it is carb, and especially everything that contain fructose that produce high lipid level in blood. My personnal research have convinced me that carbs metabolism is a SECONDARY metabolic pathway for survival, but when used as the primary pathway, produce toxic effect.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I should have elaborated a little more on what we should be eating.
I thought fruits and veggies which are complex were a given.
But in today's world simple carbs are all over the place in the form of treats, candy, a can of coke, cake, etc. Once in a while it's OK to eat these, just don't over do it.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
"Cholesterol is now A-OK"

No it's not. The reason why the GOVERNMENT gives out conflicting advice all the time is because they are a complete revolving door with big corporations. So the good folks in these agencies like the FDA, USDA, EPA, sometimes win. But sometimes they don't. Like this...

But if you focus on the actual science, it really is painting a very clear picture, in contrast to what these giant federal/corporate monstrosities are dumping into the mainstream media. I *highly* recommend watching this video series on the science of nutrition, from an independent source using exclusively peer-reviewed material and primary documents, all there in black and white.

Link to playlist

Regarding the health aspects, the human body only needs trace amounts, and it produces all it needs on its own.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Son of Will

Regarding the health aspects, the human body only needs trace amounts, and it produces all it needs on its own.

Then why can the body handle large amounts of saturated fat like it's no big deal?
Why has literally 97% of our species life been dependent on a high fat diet, which in turn would bring large amounts of cholesterol?

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Why has literally 97% of our species life been dependent on a high fat diet

That's a very good point!

Humans have been "adapted" to high carb diet since about the end of last glaciation, about 15k years (too small time for significant adaptation). But those same human were living before for at least 1 million years using a low carb diet (carnivor). That's the point of many "paleo" diet proponent (note that I'm not a proponent of the "fashion" paleo diet the way it is advertized).

Carb is a secondary metabolic mechanism for survival!

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
It all comes down to bad science, instead of seeking truth, science is funded to 'prove' a predetermined hypothesis. If Ansel Keys had wanted to prove that fat was healthy he could have done so with the same study that he used to demonstrate the opposite. Just pick the data that fits the agenda.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join