It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yes, There is Life on Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2003 @ 07:27 PM
link   
As the European spacecraft the Beagle (named after Darwin's ship) heads for Mars, scientists are looking at the results of an earlier search for life on Mars, by the NASA Viking landings in 1976. Former mission scientist Gil Levin says he has evidence proving that we really did find signs of life on Mars during that mission.
Biology experiments during the Viking mission detected strange signs of activity in the Martian soil, that could have been made by microbes giving off gas. NASA found this hard to believe, so they carried out a search for the organic matter that could be producing the gas, but never found it, so they announced there's no life on Mars.

Levin was one of the three scientists taking part in the experiments, and he believes Viking did find living organisms in Martian soil. He continued the experiments on his own, in what he called LR (labeled release) work. He says, "The (NASA) organic analysis instrument was shown to be very insensitive, requiring millions of micro-organisms to detect any organic matter, versus the LR's demonstrated ability to detect as few as 50 micro-organisms." He says he has a new experiment that "could unambiguously settle the argument." However, both NASA and the European Space Agency refuse to do it.

www.unknowncountry.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2003 @ 08:13 PM
link   
There is definitely life, dr, but not as we know it...

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I wonder why NASA and the EU space agency won't run the experiment ....

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 05:17 AM
link   
"However, both NASA and the European Space Agency refuse to do it."

Have I missed something? I thought the Beagle was equipped with a range of equipment that will root out any signs of life?

I`ve got a lotta respect for Levin, he has doggedly stuck to his ideas over the last 27 years. I hope the beagle craft is able to determine there is, a guy like this should be vindicated.

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Agree with Cass here....the ESA and NASA are going to be kicking themselves in the ar$e when the results come back!

I can't wait to find out!

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if the beagle encounters some type of mission difficulty, goes offline, and we don't find anything out at all (again, again, again, again, and oh, again).

NASA is deliberately suppressing information about Mars. If they found evidence of a past civilization (or a current one), do you really think they'd make that announcement? Mars is the next planet over from us. "Joe Sixpack and Sally Soccermom" would flip out.

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 01:07 PM
link   
MKULTRA has a point I think NASA will most likley hold the information back from us.But I have always woandered what a organism on another planet would be like.Oh and this might not fit into this thread but why has't Nasa sent a probe to the face on Mars (to lazy to look the subject up ^_^ ).Or do they have it in there heads its not a face?

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   
If there is, most likely just viruses and the likes. Not little green monsters, even though that would be cool!

Anyways, there was life on Mars, we know that, is there still life on Mars? We will know sooner or later.

new topics

top topics

join