It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing Gun

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Here is a real situation i now find myself facing. It is quite simple but in a way complex. About a week ago i noticed my 10/22 out of place or missing perhaps stolen. The truth is i can't be sure either way.

I live alone and it would not be the first time i have misplaced a gun but i have always remembered if i did. I live about a quarter mile from neighbors on either side of me and pretty far out in the country.

Logically the answer would be to just call and report my gun stolen but i have a few reasons why that may not be the best choice. About four yrs ago before i moved here i was robbed one nite and had about 10 various weapons stolen. Then i reported it and after taking statments i was told not to get my hopes up.

Long story short i tracked down the thieves myself and got my weapons back. I called the police again and they came and itemized everything. So in that sense they should know it is my weapon.

Now the only person that has been to my house that i know of in the last 6 mo. is my neice who is on parole for theft. No need to point out the obvious but on the otherhand she is now doing better than she ever has and i would not value my gun over her recent success. She just got a managers posisition working and if i had to guess i would say not her.

My neighbor on theother side i do not know of other than it is two brothers and neighborhood talk is one is slow and unstable. They have several auto guns and do not know what a proper back stop is for a target. I really do not think they would climb a fence to come and take one weapon as many would have been quite easy to get.

Anyhow the point of my post is what laws if any would i be breaking if i done nothng and is there a way other than reporting a crime that i am not sure ever took place anyhow? Also my doors have no locks. Any info or advice will be taken seriously. thanks

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Check behind the kitchen door.....any pests bother you? Perhaps you put it in a "ready" position for some why reason?
good luck....

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

A couple things. You have no locks? Wtf? And firearms?

That being said...without pointing at the neice...it would be a thought to just steal one thinking you may not miss just one....and...it's known you don't have locks on your doors.

You're a easy and ready mark friend...
edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Odd story.

I too don't have all my firearms in my safe, nor do I lock my doors. With that said, I know where each and every gun is and would know immediatly if something was out of place.

Search your house real good and if ya don't find it report it stolen.

And for the love of God, secure the rest of your firearms ASAP!

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I would report it just to be on the safe side...in saying that, if it was stolen it could very well have been responsible for a good few Murders by now.
Hope you find it but surely when you own a firearm you have a responsibility to make sure when not in use it's under lock and key. ?

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
You need to report it as stolen.

If a crime is committed (I know, with a 10/22?) and it's traced back to you now you are liable for that crime because you didn't report the firearm as stolen.

Anyone stupid enough to steal a firearm is probably stupid enough to commit a crime with it, or sell it to someone who will.

If you think it's your niece, it may be worth bringing it up to her before calling. If you can settle it and recover the rifle without calling the police, thus ensuring you are not implicated in any potential crime and saving your niece from a felony, that is obviously the best result.

I realize you live alone in the country, but perhaps it would be a good policy to keep your firearms locked up and/or hidden.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

like another poster here, im from scotland, my opinion may not be of much value here ..

but i kinda agree with tinkerhaus .. though maybe you dont need to confront your niece ..

like .. if you report it missing .. cos .. it is .. then when they ask .. say ... well .. i very much doubt its my niece .. so much so, that i didnt even confront her ...

i very much doubt you would be doing anything wrong there .. you reported it 'missing' .. cos it is .. you dont think it was your niece .. and made them aware of that ...
... i imagine thats allowed .. and if they wish to .. they can confront her ... perhaps theyll just fill out the paperwork and leave it at that

would be horrible if it came back and bit you on the ass later on if ever used in a crime
edit on 10-2-2015 by Segenam because: ... I love to edit ....

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

If you think it's your niece, it may be worth bringing it up to her before calling. If you can settle it and recover the rifle without calling the police, thus ensuring you are not implicated in any potential crime and saving your niece from a felony, that is obviously the best result.

What if she or one of her friends killed someone with the rimfire rifle while she was in possession of it? Ballistics could match the gun to the murder after he has retaken possession of it.

I would just call and report it stolen... and I would tell the police that the last person known to be in the house was the niece.... a known thief.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: TinkerHaus

What if she or one of her friends killed someone with the rimfire rifle while she was in possession of it? Ballistics could match the gun to the murder after he has retaken possession of it.

I would just call and report it stolen... and I would tell the police that the last person known to be in the house was the niece.... a known thief.

I was actually thinking the same thing when I posted. I would personally report it stolen either way - but the OP may have his own reasons for not wanting to do so.

It would suck to be suspected of a crime for not reporting it as stolen.. Best policy would be to report it regardless.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Yes i have searched and realized i can't find it. Other than it being gone there is no evidennce to suggest a crime has happened. I value all the input but have no need for locks or a safe. The thought of a crime being committed with it will likely out weigh everything else though. Not that i believe that by reporting it missing will stop a crime but that i really have no other way to cover my rear from being a suspect if a crime goes unsolved other than the fact i do not ever leave my home.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I just did ask her for the second time and she says she had nothing to do with it. That makes the second time i asked her and to me that is more than fair. So i will now go and report it. again thanks.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Instead of misplacing it around the house, is there a chance you left it at the gun range or maybe out in the woods somewhere?

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
No the logical answer is you don't remember so you're losing your marbles so they aught to take all the fire arms off you as your an obvious danger not only to yourself but other people.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

About four yrs ago before i moved here i was robbed one nite and had about 10 various weapons stolen.

demonstrates that your delusion that :

have no need for locks or a safe

is the level of insanity we have to deal with

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Just thould i would update this. Called sherrif and told situation they advised to go to town to local pd. Got there they wondered why they would send me to them. They advised that if i am sure it is missing to go to sherrif and report stolen after i contact the pd from yrs back and obtain the report with numbers on gun. That sherrifs office has no email and i have no long distance phone or cell so will go in the morning to make call to try to get numbers. Overall they were not nearly concerned as most of you seem to be.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

About four yrs ago before i moved here i was robbed one nite and had about 10 various weapons stolen.

demonstrates that your delusion that :

have no need for locks or a safe

is the level of insanity we have to deal with

missing point is that during that robbery then the locks did not hinder their efforts in obtaining my weapons eventhough they were all engauged and dead bolted.
edit on 10-2-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
No the logical answer is you don't remember so you're losing your marbles so they aught to take all the fire arms off you as your an obvious danger not only to yourself but other people.

my marbles were lost during childhood. i have not played with them since.

do tell how i am a danger

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

originally posted by: crayzeed

my marbles were lost during childhood. i have not played with them since.

do tell how i am a danger

You are in danger because you are avoiding the issue of your forgetfulness that you admit.

Most people keep their "ready" gun in a special place and there is no forgetting where it is. If you've done a check of your house, etc. and cannot find it, why would you think that you misplaced it? WHERE?
The predicament that you are caught up in is dangerous to your ability to even own a gun. the law folks will see it as not so much about the gun, but about your state of mind.

To be on the safe side, consider the gun stolen and follow through on the police report if inclined, but do not acknowledge that maybe it is still around someplace and you simply forgot where.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
i know this might sound simple but, do you have any recollection as to when the last time you handled the rifle?

might help to try and mentally retrace your steps as far as that's concerned.

i know someone else mentioned maybe you left it at the range or somewhere else on your property, which could very well be an option. especially if maybe you had it outside and now it's covered in snow and out of sight somewhere?

i think as long as your taking the necessary precautions as far as declaring it missing then you're okay legally speaking.

fingers crossed for ya

edit on 10-2-2015 by CallmeRaskolnikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Maybe you wait until your niece comes over and then you find a reason to start looking for your 10 22. She inquires what your looking for and you tell her and ask for her assistance in locating the device. She helps you and you can judge from her commitment just how serious her search effort is. Perhaps she caves to save having to look for nothing. Perhaps she puts in a real concerted effort. Perhaps she caves after a time and tells you the real story. Use your cool and be aware of her feelings with an open heart and I think you will know one way or the other on instinct if no other reason.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join