It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family asks cops to check on 74-year-old vet after surgery, and they break in and kill him.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

originally posted by: network dude
For the very, very few who are interested in researching facts before the lynching, there is this:

Timeline of events on Saturday, Feb. 7.
10 p.m.:
Family of James Allen asked police to conduct a welfare check on Allen.
Anson County officials contacted the Gastonia Police Department to conduct the check.
10:20 p.m.:
An officer went to Allen’s home on Mary Avenue. There was no answer when he knocked on the door.
11:08 p.m.:
Anson County started a check of local hospitals. They could not find Allen.
11:30 p.m.:
Police called for County EMS and Gastonia Fire Department about a possible death inside Allen’s home.
Officer Lefevers announced his presence and entered the home.
Allen approached him with a gun and Lefevers shot and killed him.

www.wsoctv.com...

Which doesn't make anything alright, but does answer the question of why this was done at midnight.

If he's approaching you with a gun, he's obviously alright, get the hell out of his home and tell his family he seems to be fine...

Jaden

It's a shame you weren't the officer on site. I hope you seek employment in law enforcement so you can fix these type of issues.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

I'm not from the US so I can't imagine a world with guns but I think even to me it is a fair question to ask - why didn't the police officer (who i assume has been trained to deal with these situations) not aim for the old man's arm or leg?

Why did he have to shoot him fatally?
edit on 11/2/2015 by daftpink because: Typo

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: daftpink

I'm not from the US so I can't imagine a world with guns but I think even to me it is a fair question to ask - why didn't the police officer (who i assume has been trained to deal with these situations) not aim for the old man's arm or leg?

The short answer is because shooting to disable in an arm or leg is something that only happens in TV and movies. In practice it's extremely unsafe for the officers and has very low success rates. Officers are trained to shoot center mass and not stop shooting until the target goes down and even with that training which gives them a bigger target they still miss 50% of their shots.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

So the cops are justified in killing this 74 year old senior because the family did not show concern in a manner acceptable to you?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Things are getting worse and worse

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: real_one

How does it turn from a welfare check to shooting the guy? I'm having trouble figuring out how it got to that point. It would be easier it the guy wasn't 74 and most likely recovering.

Did the police just walk in on him without knocking? You would think for a welfare check they would be calling the guy out by name.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Pointing guns at the police very rarely results in a happy ending.

Very true. But wellness checks should not be done late at night. If a loud noise wakes me up in the middle of the night, guess what the first thing I'm going to do is. Really, do your own wellness checks.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

The short answer is because shooting to disable in an arm or leg is something that only happens in TV and movies. In practice it's extremely unsafe for the officers and has very low success rates. Officers are trained to shoot center mass and not stop shooting until the target goes down and even with that training which gives them a bigger target they still miss 50% of their shots.

Well no wonder these things happen if officers are trained to shoot that way. Clearly it is likely to cause fatal injury. If people are ok with that then so be it. Glad I don't live in the US.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
A welfare check should be conducted by social workers. Without guns.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Well no wonder these things happen if officers are trained to shoot that way. Clearly it is likely to cause fatal injury. If people are ok with that then so be it. Glad I don't live in the US.

That's the only way to train, real life isn't the movies. The problem with the police isn't in how they shoot, it's when they shoot. For many years now the police have been getting looser and looser with when they draw and fire their weapon. In the name of officer safety and making sure they go home at the end of their shift, we've lowered their rules of engagement which has created a situation where ordinary citizens get killed.

The police have considerably looser ROE than soldiers on the front line of a war zone. That is the problem.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

That's the only way to train, real life isn't the movies. The problem with the police isn't in how they shoot, it's when they shoot. For many years now the police have been getting looser and looser with when they draw and fire their weapon. In the name of officer safety and making sure they go home at the end of their shift, we've lowered their rules of engagement which has created a situation where ordinary citizens get killed.

The police have considerably looser ROE than soldiers on the front line of a war zone. That is the problem.

That is indeed a huge problem and needs addressed.
I'm trying to imagine how this would play out in the uk. Either social workers or community police officers would respond to this family's request. They obviously don't carry guns. Is there such a thing as a community police officer in the US? Or do they carry guns too? Ach i dunno just melt all the guns and get it over with.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
"Walkin' and talkin' funny in 'Bama? That's a shootin' boy"

Seriously wonderful place, the Gulf Coast is inspiring. The people getting hired to act on behalf of State and Local police is shameful.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Parthin
But wellness checks should not be done late at night. If a loud noise wakes me up in the middle of the night, guess what the first thing I'm going to do is. Really, do your own wellness checks.

this post answers your question.
Apparently quoting is still a huge issue, so a link is the best I can do.
edit on 14-2-2015 by network dude because: quoting sucks badly and should be fixed.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Yes, I get the timeline, but breaking a door down at midnight showed a lack of good sense. It should have been postponed until the following day.
a reply to: network dude

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Parthin
Yes, I get the timeline, but breaking a door down at midnight showed a lack of good sense. It should have been postponed until the following day.

He just had heart surgery, and he's stopped answering phone calls. Do you really want to NOT check up on him? It would worry the crap out of me if it was my old lady or one of my brothers who did that.

I'd have probably called the neighbor, TBH.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

I'd have probably called the neighbor, TBH.

I wish they would have.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join