It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing List of Congressmen Boycotting Netanyahu Address

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Surprisingly, I haven't seen much posted about Netanyahu's speech despite it being a source of considerable controversy in recent weeks. For those who aren't familiar, this gist is this:

Speaker John Boehner invited Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to address a joint session of Congress on March 3rd on the topic of Iran, two weeks prior to the Israeli elections, amid serious disagreement between the Obama and Netanyahu administrations over Iran nuclear negotiations. Boehner coordinated Netanyahu's address without consulting the administration, a breach of normal State Department protocols.

We all know the GOP loves them some Israel but have they overstepped their bounds and are they in effect attempting to become autonomous actors in conducting US foreign policy?

Mike Ramsey makes some excellent points in Th e Originalism Blog:

The current situation replays the events of 1793. Netanyahu presumably believes (probably correctly) that Congress is more sympathetic to his nation’s predicament than is the President, and that by appealing directly to Congress he can pressure the President into a more favorable policy. However, as Jefferson explained to Genet, the President is the channel of communication between the United States and foreign powers, and “no foreign agent can be allowed … to interpose between him and any other branch of Government.” (Id. at 321, quoting Letter from Jefferson to Genet, Nov. 22, 1793). The Constitution assures this result first by failing to convey any diplomatic power to Congress, and second by giving the President control over both outgoing communication (via U.S. ambassadors, who are removable by the President) and incoming communication (via foreign ambassadors and other public ministers, who are received by the President).

And as an aside, if the current facts do not seem to make the constitutional point sharply, consider the situation had a Democratic Congress invited Fidel Castro, Daniel Ortega or Mikhail Gorbachev to address Congress over President Reagan’s objection.

A reasonable argument can be made that not only are Boehner's political shenanigans in extremely poor form, they're down right unconstitutional. Adding to the controversy is the timing of the speech, coming just weeks before the Israeli elections.

So far, a dozen or so Democratic representatives have announced their intentions to boycott Netanyahu's address as well as Democratic Senator Patrick Leahy and independent Senator Bernie Sanders. The Vice President has also said that he will not be in attendance, citing scheduling conflicts.

edit on 2015-2-10 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Good for them.

The USA original was formed to be free of tyrants.

So a little tyrant like him should not be given the time of day.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
He is going to back out...

This is just another way of making Obama look bad.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

A reasonable argument can be made that not only are Boehner's political shenanigans in extremely poor form, they're down right unconstitutional.

No it can't.

The only political shenanigans are those crying about Nentanyahu speaking.

Unconstitutional eh?

Then how do people explain this:

Congress has invited speeches by dignitaries throughout its history

history.house.gov...

Read the list of people who have addressed congress.

I always love Israel threads cause they expose the Isrealiphobes.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Yeah, maybe it's starting to dawn on Congress that Netanyahu is just using discord & anti-Obama sentiment to bolster Israel & garner further sympathy...

Nothing about his agenda nor his speech would be beneficial to the Citizens whose Tax Money pays for his little Terror State to survive...

& only someone not putting the US's best interest first would even suggest such a thing...

What sort of person is this Boehner...
I've heard the name thrown about often but I can't be bothered to find out where he stands.

Aside from his obvious Zionist leanings.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

A list of foreign dignitaries who have spoken in front of Congress? How many of those were done without following established protocol? How many of those were against the wishes of the President? None?

Please demonstrate where I've made anti-Israel comments at any point on ATS? This isn't an "Israel thread" in the least. I always love blind support of anything having anything to do with Israel by neocons.
edit on 2015-2-10 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

A reasonable argument can be made that not only are Boehner's political shenanigans in extremely poor form, they're down right unconstitutional.

No it can't.

The only political shenanigans are those crying about Nentanyahu speaking.

Unconstitutional eh?

Congress has invited speeches by dignitaries throughout its history

history.house.gov...

What is to expose? When did those that do not favour Israel mince words or give the wrong impression? What really gets exposed is how many Americans respect a foreign religious extremist more than their own nations President and those are usually the same Americans that shun any support for Russia because it is disrespectful to America.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Guilty. They don't pay taxes. They have no business telling us what to do.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Sounds like the Democrats are using this "crisis" as a way to cover up some of Obama's BS.

Just more petty jealousy.

The Democrats are acting like Israel is some kind of enemy or something.

What's the big deal anyway?

It's not like anyone is inviting Castro or Kim Jung Un to speak.

These petty issues are destroying the Democrat Party.

The joke's on them I think.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Yo congress doesn't have to get permission from the Potus.

Forget just how, and why our system of government was set up?

Looks like.

When it comes to the currents foreign policy decisions that have been nothing but cluster effs for the last 6 years.

What he plans to do with sanctions regarding Iran for which why Netenyahu is coming here in the first place.

Has far reaching consequences.

Today, and years from now.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96 I always love Israel threads cause they expose the Isrealiphobes.

and the Israel fanboys.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I am Isrealiphobe and proud of it.

You decry Iran and Saudi Arabia and talk about how you supported the Iraq invasion.

yet you support a state that refuses to sign up to all the WMD treaty's.

As you would say

FALSE OUTRAGE.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

What he plans to do with sanctions regarding Iran for which why Netenyahu is coming here in the first place.

I dont get the logic

Sanction Iran for suspected nuclear WMD production.

Support Israel with unregulated and huge stockpile;es of Chemical and Nuclear WMD's.

FALSE OUTRAGE

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

The Democrats are acting like Israel is some kind of enemy or something.

What's the big deal anyway?

Israel is the biggest enemy that the US has ever faced. It has control over Americas politicians, media, education and military.

Israel may not be considered Americas enemy only because America has been beaten into submission by Israel.... that tiny little country in the ME.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I don't get the logic either.

As the ATS foreign posters telling Amerians what they should be doing.

But That other Foreigner Netanyahu can't.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Oh look more anti obumer crap by the right wing patrol, can one of you fellows explain to us normal folks whats so bad about people not wanting to hear a warmongers speach, asking for more american sons and daughter to go die for the glory of israel.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I don't get the logic either.

As the ATS foreign posters telling Amerians what they should be doing.

But That other Foreigner Netanyahu can't.

Lets think for about....

ATS is a INTERNATIONAL FORUM.

If you dont like us dirty foreigners posting our evil foreigner views go find a US only website.

And posting views on a INTERNATIONAL FORUM is a hell of a big difference than adressing the US goverment in the US congress.

As you would say

Yours is a

STRAW MAN ARGUMENT.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

As far as I know...

The ATS foreigners can't influence Congress with their opinions...

Neither are we genocidal despots scrounging your all important tax money that would be better spent on helping illegal immigrants in your country rather than outside of it...

I know, that will touch a nerve.
It's true though!

Snip.

edit on 10-2-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

UUooo sounds so masochistic.

You're acting like Israel is completely responsible for the U.S. National Debt or something.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

This entire thread is a straw man since congress has invited people to speak there for centuries.

but hey who cares right ?

I actually do believe in free speech unlike some.

Especially when the party of tolerance show's everyone just how tolerant they are.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join