It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humanoid robot learns how to run

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Its highly possible they will be used in space exploration. If I'm not mistaken thats already one of the large markets helping support this robot development.

This is cool though. The robots still need alot of work but its great how fast they are being adavanced.

After reading all of Asimov's robot series books and many of his short stories and being a very large fan of his work, I find this news very exciting.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Gotta definitly agree there, also that probably the first aliens to visit us, will probably be robots as well. I would love to see a robot that can get up after falling on it's back. I truly comment these people on their work, robotics programming is very hard. I worked on a autonomous robot when I was in college(actually a golf cart with a vision system and sonar) That was hard enough, I can't imagine programming one that walks.

bentov

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gala-Kemen
Could it be possible that one day these Qrio bots could be used for sample gathering on the Moon or Mars? Or do ya'll think they are ineffectiant. :

[edit on 18-12-2004 by Gala-Kemen]

I would be in favor of many small insect like robots their desgin is so much better than a humanoid one. Plus they are cheaper and easier to build on a small scale. I have always been for sending many small cheap robots instead of one expensive one like nasa does now. That way you can lose a few and it does not kill the mission plus many can cover more area then a single one can.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gama-Kelen

Could it be possible that one day these Qrio bots could be used for sample gathering on the Moon or Mars?

I reckon they could probably do that, They'd be able to launch missions to space without the risks of losing human lives, and a robot wouldn't need paying.

I suppose when A.I Robots are made, the problem might arise that once they are turned on they might not want to turn off.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I hadn't thought of an insect design, they would be better at the aerial portion of the mission. I guess it would be a bit impossible to send a "variety pack" of bots like bipedal and the insects. It would be even better if we could create self-replicating robots, but that also sorta dips into the A.I. convo and with what Superphreak is talking about.

When we create A.I. Robots why would we want to turn them off? They would be formed in not only our intellectual image but also our emotional and moral aspects somewhat. I can see that as a problem perhaps humans are known for their strong feelings. And so the A.I. would have this "fear" of not wanting to "die", maybe even the unknown. I mean isnt that the reason we would create it? Not only for a next step in our technology but also to know ourselves alittle better. Wouldnt that be its reaction to us if we wanted to shut it down? How would you act if your mother, father or guardian, came to you and told you that they would put you to sleep for some time or even kill you? Now your instincts might tell you to trust them maybe, but would an A.I. have this same inner voice?

I dunno, I guess Im just talking outta my arse...and its a bit earlier here..lol I am in nooo way really able to philosophize A.I. brains, because I dont know squat about how they could be made. I'm just asking questions.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Here's some interesting information about robots suitable for space exploration. We currently have a small robot on Mars. It has wheels. Asimo would probably not be suitable for space exploration, in my opinion.

Rodney Brooks: Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I agree with Grady. Power supply is a major factor for space exploration. At present going on the technology used in current exploration devices, we cannot meet that power need.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gala-Kemen
I hadn't thought of an insect design, they would be better at the aerial portion of the mission. I guess it would be a bit impossible to send a "variety pack" of bots like bipedal and the insects.

I dont think it would be impossible I think that is a very good idea. Many different body shapes are better suited for different task. Unless we make robots that can morph their shape sending different types is the way to go.

A robot based on a snake design would be great for going into small caves and holes. I robot based on a spider would be great for climbing the side of a cliff or volcano. Wheeled or tracked robots better for crossing flat land.

I have seen some work done with shape changing robots so that might be the future. They are working on one that can change between a spider,snake and wheel shape.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join