It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm From South Africa And We Are Facing An Imminent National Power Grid Full Shutdown...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Are you being dense on purpose it was months,for some months not days or even weeks. People who have well water run by electric pumps . But I guess we're just better at coping because no war broke out . Guess we'll see.
Oh and I'm out so don't waste time posting to me I will never see it.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

I do understand your point, but 2 wrongs does not make it right. Currently the roles have been reversed and the ANC does not grasp the idea about "learn from the past and do not make the same mistakes" Reverse racism is being applied in South Africa, mostly against everyone that is non Blacks. Instead of adopting the attitude of Nelson Mandela they corrupted it. I am not a fan of Mandela but his ideology spot on where we all can live together for the good of all. After 20 years there is still no progress. The thing that eats at my gut is that the US and England and everybody had something to say about "Apartheid" but now that it is happening the other way around, no one is saying nothing.

Just an example...

Johannesburg - Trade union Solidarity will approach the Labour Court to order the SA Police Service to consult the trade union on its affirmative action plan.
"We are not going to sit back and meekly accept the racial discrimination against our members,” chief executive Dirk Hermann said at a media briefing in Johannesburg.
This comes after the Constitutional Court's ruling on Tuesday in favour of Saps and against former police member Renate Barnard regarding the police's application of affirmative action.
“This new court case is one in a series of actions by Solidarity to fight back after the controversial Constitutional Court ruling against Barnard," said Hermann.
The court on Tuesday set aside an order of the Supreme Court of Appeal that the Saps discriminated against Barnard by not promoting her.
Acting Chief Justice Dikgang Moseneke said in his majority judgment that the Saps employment equity plan was not challenged.
The court found the plan was lawfully and rationally implemented by the police commissioner in the matter concerning Barnard.
Barnard's affirmative action case goes back to 2005 when she applied for the post of lieutenant colonel, which was superintendent according to the old rankings, for the first time.
She twice applied unsuccessfully for promotion to superintendent within the police's national evaluation services, which deals with complaints by the public and public officials about police services.
Despite recommendations by an interview panel and her divisional commissioner, the national police commissioner did not appoint her to the position on the basis that racial representation at the level of superintendent would be negatively affected.
Hermann said the union wanted to negotiate with police on the affirmative action plans as they were conducting 20 cases of unfair discrimination against them on behalf of its members.
"We believe it is better to consult pro-actively than to litigate reactively,” Hermann said.
He said Solidarity's written requests to police commissioner Riah Phiyega to be involved in the negotiations on the plan had gone unanswered.
Hermann added that Solidarity was the only union that protected the rights of the minority groups within the SAPS, as the two police unions, the Police and Prisons Civil Right Union (Popcru) and the SA Policing Union (Sapu), were unable to do so.
“It is clear to us that Popcru and Sapu, the two recognised police unions involved with the drafting of the current affirmative action plan, are not prepared to represent the interests of policemen and women from non-designated and minority groups," said Hermann.
The union now intended to tackle the source of the unfair implementation of affirmative action, namely irrational affirmative action plans.
“Solidarity will intensify its actions against companies and organisations that abuse affirmative action in order to discriminate unfairly against minorities," Hermann said.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: xuenchen
What is the ANC government doing about this power problem?

Blaming the white man, I assume.

True lol, They were warned in September 1998 that this will happen... Power Failure Prediction

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   
to OP

if you *truly* are convinced that this is an imminent collapse that will last for years you need to do everything in your power to get yourself and your family out of that country.

the fact that you are not taking every action required to permanently leave shows a severe disconnect between what you have posted here and the decisions you are making (and how you think things are going to play out in the next few years)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I've been following this thread for the past couple of days now, being a South African myself and also being affected by this electricity crisis.

It has massive repercussions for far more people than just us "privelaged whiteys"; in fact I believe that it affects us to a far lesser degree than the impoverished masses of all cultures. To those of us who have the basic amenities for a decent life (food, water, warm shelter, and, when the utility provider allows it, electricity), this load-shedding can be seen as a mere inconvenience.

This is a nation-wide problem. If your house loses power, all good and well - you just fire up the candles or the generator if you can afford one and carry on.

When a massive industrial area loses power, on the other hand, then production ceases in those factories that don't have back-up generators, and, in those that do, the cost of production increases by a large amount.

When industries end up in situations like this, they have to make a choice between raising the prices they sell their goods at (to cover the costs of back-up generatorss, or to downscale their workforce or even close entirely. Either way, the man in the streets loses out. He's now being forced to pay more for a good that he needs (due to increased costs incurred via use of back-up generators in the industry), and he has now ended up being unemployed because the factory he worked at had to downscale their operations.

It seems many posts here simply take into account the immediate consequences of long-term power loss. The ramifications stretch much further than simply "aw,dang, the lights are off again". People are losing their livelihoods due to this, and, the more the country's industrial economy downscales, the less funding is available to help develop and maintain infrastructure, and the cycle continues ad infinitum.

originally posted by: Justshrug
to OP

if you *truly* are convinced that this is an imminent collapse that will last for years you need to do everything in your power to get yourself and your family out of that country.

the fact that you are not taking every action required to permanently leave shows a severe disconnect between what you have posted here and the decisions you are making (and how you think things are going to play out in the next few years)

I find this is not a very accurate assumption. I personally would move myself and my family out of here, if it was financially possible. However, Our total household income is JUST enough to get by on. We would never be able to afford as massive an endeavour as emmigrating is.
edit on 12-2-2015 by Havoc40k because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Gosh this is humiliating

Anc using Martial law to remove members of parliament
edit on 12-2-2015 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2015 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: StrangeCottageCheese
a reply to: HD3DSURROUNDSOUND

First time round 14:00, I didn't even realise load-shedding was in progress again this week; then got seriously annoyed at 20:00 when Eskom randomly decided to jump to stage 2 without telling anyone...

That's the thing, they change the plot every few hours. You have to keep looking it up (and sometimes you can only do that while the power is on... )

One thing though, the companies supplying gas cylinders are making a killing. Yesterday, on a 5 minute walk to the shop, no less than three trucks transporting gas cylinders drove passed me. And here in Cape Town, many of the restaurants and fast food places have already switched to other means...

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: undo

originally posted by: NthOther
Industrial infrastructure collapses, oppressed indigenous population reclaims the country.

I dunno, I don't really see a problem with that. It waxes justice poetic, even. The fact that revolution is a real possibility as a result of technological failure speaks volumes about the power (no pun intended) structures at work not only in the subjugation of the indigenous population, but also in the unhealthy dependence on technology in the western world.

but the government is marxist.

Technically the ANC claim to be marxist, however, the ANC seem to be more xenofascist or racofascist. I mean seriously, affirmative action programs are put in place to help minorities, but in the case of the scumbag ANC, they help the majorities. It's like I suppose any other conflict of interest in governments, but that doesn't make it right. And BEE was a play straight out of Mussolini's "book" as it was/is the forced nationalization or integration of all business into the government's or other people's hands. You couldn't pay me a $1,000,000 a year to live in South Africa now, the place is so screwed up.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 2/12.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: kykweer
I was wondering on p.5 what was going to happen in Parliament today.

The good news is that the electricity stayed on (apparently Eskom had asked some of its top industrial clients to reduce their power usage for the occasion), because what transpired was one heck of a show.

First we had the opposition members waving their cellular phones and shouting: "Bring back the signal!"
It turned out somebody had blocked the live feed signal in Parliament and reporters had to lean out of windows and fight for spaces in the men's room to send out news.
The signal jamming turned out to be illegal and the signal had to restored, although it seems nobody has taken responsibility for the jam.

After President Zuma started his speech, it didn't take long until the EFF interrupted, and then we got another fist fight: www.news24.com...

Things settled down after the DA walked out, when the Speaker refused to answer their question about whether the EFF had been removed by Parliament's security or the police (which is also apparently not legal).

Embarrassing for sure.
But certainly not dull.

edit on 12-2-2015 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imfrosty

originally posted by: tiberius10721
a reply to: Flesh699

If I was a white person living in South Africa I would immigrate out of there especially if I had a family to protect! Sometimes your best sense is your common sense!

Seriously???? You would run?? I was born and razed here, as was my grand father and his grand father. This IS my country, i am a white African. I will not run or hide. I will fight for my country first. I dont discriminate against anyone accept against corrupt official and criminals.

You are what your blood is, everything else is delusion. As they say if you were born in a stable would that make you

Lots of Saffas in UK now, I know a few, all left because they see no future there. Personally I would be out of there like a shot. Do you know he history of rwanda ? Actually used to be a nice place until the french left then it became a dump. South Africa's destiny is to become a bump, except this as truth and get out of there
edit on 12-2-2015 by rowanflame because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: rowanflame

I do understand your reasoning, and yes there is a lot of South Africans all over. Some in England, Australia, The US, New Zealand. Its not a question of adopting this beautiful country, its this country has adopted me. Im sick of people destroying our country. As a matter of fact (If you are a Christian) this whole earth does not belong to anyone. We are here to manage it and keep it sustainable. There is enough food produced to give every person in this world 3 meals a day. But, with miss management people want to line their own pockets at the cost of the people.

Food is getting expensive. The oil price has gone down as well as the fuel price. We expected the food prices to go down, nope it did not. When the fuel goes up the food prices goes up. It does not make sense at all.

I will not leave this country. I will stay and still make in impact. As little as it is though.

I am a patriot till i die.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
They have been saying same thing about US grid system for 20 years I know of.

GO down like domino's.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Imfrosty

All respect, your patriotic will is commendable.

But being serious for a moment, Americas multicultural agenda in the end is another "ism" and beyond most "ism's" are people who wish to use that "ism" to dominate the Earth which I feel by human nature just never works because it's peoples nature to rebel and all "ism's" are in the end "extremism"

Right now around the world "multiculturalism" is giving some serious creeps, while deeply ingrained in the US and Europe there are plenty of people who talk about rebelling from it daily, the Islamic world is straight up in arms about it, the Russians are getting very upset, the Chinese are wary allies like Israel and Japan have serious misgivings about what it means for their culture and in the end this threatens to destroy more "cultures" than the Nazis did in it's own way, by nature it's a "master race" philosophy the far end of the pendulum swing from the Nazis a master race of every one blended together into a state run culture vs a master race of one race in a state run culture

Some will agree others wont I look at things historically and demographically and this is what I see I have no personally input other than another "ism" will reach it's height and fail, true "diversity" is many cultures not the elimination of cultures replaced by one from above, as I said people rebel want their own identity, i'd say even if this was the best idea ever the rebels will come and break it...

With that said... and i'm not talking about WW3 or any negative catastrophic affair

As the world pushes the USA from the top position, as the pendulum swings back from the obsession of race to people insisting on being allowed to retain their ethnic and religious identities etc... the Places ARTIFICIALLY forged under it will be bad off...

Honestly, I don't see how South Africa can end well for you my friend, I don't see how, when it "get's bad" you could possibly "win" I honestly think from a POV of history in the long run and I hate to say this "South Africa is going to serve as the prime example for the next century as to why you NEVER force mix radically different cultures even for reasons of humanity, that it needs to be a natural process, not saying "it's bad" just that you can't just demand people with radically different ides just mesh by decree and it's sure to end badly that way.

And that your likely to end up the poster boy for nations closing their doors over the next 20 years or so...

No macho stuff all power to you if you think you and yours can fight that battle, but where you are by number, how pissed off the other side is, how enlightened and educated the surrounding people are, the kind of belief systems that are absorbed into Africa and the absolute lack of back up... I wouldn't be there.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit

Thank you guys and girls for all your support and prayers. I'm on a blackberry which keeps kicking me off the internet. I would love to reply to you all and one day I may if I upgrade my computer system to include an internet connection. Ps. I also can't afford to leave South Africa my home. I appreciate all the South Africans who have revealed themselves here and with you guys I'm praying for a light at the end of this dark tunnel someday. Perhaps by a miracle the grid won't collapse and we will return to our glory days again. This is my wish. Enjoy your braais and your veldskoens, I know I will.

I'm going to use loadshedding times o spend with my family in conversation and get to know them all again and do stuff I don't always do in this busy busy world. Perhaps even learn how to relax. I can even use the time to pray more and speak to God about things in a more in depth way.

I also hope in the DA (democratic allience) taking power from the ANC one day.

As for the elite and their private agendas kiss my *$$!

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Instead of cursing and swearing maybe we should start speaking powerful statements into the situation. I would rather die for something than live for nothing.

a reply to: criticalhit

Read, thought about, agreed and thanks for your input.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Imfrosty
There is enough food produced to give every person in this world 3 meals a day. But, with miss management people want to line their own pockets at the cost of the people.

Yet it is clear that some cannot feed themselves is that not correct?
what happened to those farms that went through land reform, are they now productive as ever or are they now scrub land with no production?

edit on 14-2-2015 by rowanflame because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   

In 2009:

Many farms redistributed in terms of South Africa’s land-reform programme are failing and falling into ruin because the beneficiaries have little or no interest in agriculture, says the Democratic Alliance.
“Eighty percent of the people [given farms] just wanted land,” DA rural development and land-reform spokesperson Annette Steyn told a media briefing at Parliament on Tuesday.
She was speaking at the launch of a DA “Land Reform in Crisis” report, which highlights the findings of visits by MPs to a number of farms that were redistributed in terms of government’s Land Redistribution for Agricultural Development (LRAD) programme.
Oversight visits were made to 11 farms in Limpopo, five in the Free State, and two each in the Eastern Cape and Mpumalanga.
“Of the farms we visited, most went wrong ... there was no farming activity,” Steyn said.
The report paints a dire picture of resettled farms in Limpopo, where, to date, a total of 195 farms have been “restituted” in terms of the LRAD programme.
“The farms visited by the DA were, before transfer ... financially and agriculturally productive. Five years after transfer, the picture is very different, and some are in dire condition.
“Houses have been left to rot due to lack of maintenance and criminals steal copper pipes, electricity transformers and farming equipment,” it states.
The briefing included a display of photos taken during the visits, showing dilapidated farm infrastructure, falling-down buildings and neglected fruit orchards, among others.
Steyn pinned the blame for the situation on the government, saying it had failed to apply proper selection criteria when it came to awarding the properties.
“Basically… there were no criteria,” she said.
Exacerbating the problem was that on those farms where new farmers did want to work the land, the government was failing to support them.
“At none of the farms visited was there evidence of constructive, significant assistance from the state. As a result, many of the farms are on the verge of collapse.”
An example was a crop, fruit and dairy farm in Mpumalanga, which the government had bought for 248 beneficiaries in 2002, at a cost of R15,5-million.
“No post-settlement support [has been] received from the Department of Land Affairs. The farm is not doing well as it needs a cash injection, and they do not have [a] loan facility. They are also struggling with maintenance and equipment.”
According to the report, a total of 2 864 farms have been redistributed for agricultural purposes nationally.
“Of those reviewed, 29% have failed, and productivity at a further 22% is declining. Should those in the latter category also fail, more than half of farms redistributed by government will have failed.”
The report contains recommendations, including that people with a “background of farming or a love of farming” be given preference when it comes to agricultural land reform.
Further, the government should purchase farms suitable for the type of activity the beneficiary wanted to undertake. It suggests starting on a small scale and not forcing programmes on new farmers.
It also suggests fostering ties with existing farmers in organised agriculture.
“White farmers cannot be seen as ‘the enemy’ and must be made partners in this whole process,” it states.
Of the 276 000 farming units in Gauteng, including large-scale and small intensive farming units, 70% lie unused as farms - most standing idle or being used as scrapyards and second-hand car dealerships.

In 2014

Emerging farmers are among the most squeezed, with hundreds quitting, and claiming that the government has "abandoned" them, with no skills and little access to markets.
The revelations come at a time when Rural Development and Land Reform Minister Gugile Nkwinti has published controversial proposals requiring commercial farmers to hand over half their land to farmworkers.
Agri-Gauteng CEO Derrick Hanekom said Gauteng was in big trouble with abandoned land.
"Land carryover from old to new owners was done haphazardly... land was given to communities who are not farmers and who, because of a lack of skills, are unable to farm."We signed the Rural Social Compact Plan [with the Gauteng agriculture and rural development department] to stem the problem and uplift Gauteng's huge peri-urban area, the third-biggest in the country.
"We are desperately trying to organise agriculture, with a big focus on micro-farmers who, if properly assisted, can produce large yields.
"The government doesn't have the skills to do capacity development in the farming sector."
President of the African Farmers Association of SA Mike Mlengana slammed the government.
"Farms were and are viewed as weekend party destinations. The consequence is that farms that have the potential to produce vitally needed food are neglected.
"The prevalence of abandonment is unbelievable, with some areas recording 100% abandonment.
"We have farms that were highly active but have been stripped bare and are now useless," Mlengana said.
A lack of money was one of the reasons emerging farmers walked off their land, he said.
"Many don't have money to farm or buy feed, seeds, fertilisers or water. In KwaZulu-Natal, farmers rely on neighbours to supply them with water because they can't afford boreholes or dams. Farms were meant to come with capitalisation and support, but didn't.
"Primary agriculture is capital-dependent . the consequence of non-capitalisation is destruction."
For Mlengana, the government's poor farmer selection criteria set emerging farmers up for failure.
"There were no proper checks and balances to see who really had farming knowledge.
"Many people lied when applying for farms, renting sheep for when inspectors came to see if they had livestock.
"The result was many farms were given to people who had no knowledge of farming."
Mlengana said many emerging farmers were sabotaged through the provision of often dilapidated and outdated equipment that was too expensive to repair.
"They weren't provided with sheds or silos to store produce or helped with the selling of produce.
"At a national level the government is interested, but regionally there is no capacity to implement policies.
"The consequence of the destruction of South Africa's farms is a direct threat to food security."
Professor Johan Willemse of the University of the Free State agricultural economics department said the government's agricultural policies needed urgent revising.
"They are plunging the country's rural towns into a death spiral with farms collapsing.
"There are no proper support structures. If there's a drought there is no assistance."
He said the implication of farm expansion and mechanisation was the collapse of rural towns, whose residents were heavily reliant on farms for jobs.
"While most countries are making farms more productive to feed their cities, this is not even a debate here.
"To survive we must rethink our agricultural policies. It is not about black or white, it is about feeding 50million people."
Boeta du Toit, Agri-North West's CEO, said that since 2000, the number of farmers in the province had decreased from 65000 to 34000.
"Though production has increased through better technology on larger farms, those who leave don't do so out of free will. When they go they go for good.
"Recent droughts have been incredibly difficult on farmers unable to repay debts.
edit on 2015 2 16 by Imfrosty because: More info

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Well apparantly the truth is harmfull to the ANC's image:

Last month, at a lekgotla, the ANC national executive committee (NEC) and, later at another, the Cabinet decided to take over some of the utility’s communication responsibilities to try to control the information that is released publicly and, especially, what they believe should be kept secret. A Cabinet source said the government was worried about how Eskom’s communications were affecting the government negatively. “They are saying things and they are not realising how it is affecting us politically,” the source said. He said the government was struggling to “align Eskom’s message to our political message”. “We are concerned. We can’t have a state entity that is communicating a different message to what we are communicating,” he said.

link to full article:
mybroadband.co.za...

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Not proud to admit it... But i predicted this.
m.news24.com...

Text Johannesburg - Anglo American wants to withdraw its supply of coal to Eskom because of government requirements that blacks must own at least 55% of a supplier, Netwerk24 reported on Monday.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join