It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chaos Theory And Universal Momentum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I would like to explore an idea with you. It's an idea which I have been attracted to calling Universal momentum. It's related to certain principles of chaos theory. And I believe it ties into the principle of karma. This idea is that everything compounds and eventually turns into a significant event. And this is like the idea of the butterfly effect in chaos theory. The flapping of a butterfly's wings could cause a hurricane. Literally. This originally did actually start with observations of weather patterns and weather prediction. And it was discovered that the most minute rounding of data, in ways that seem obviously inconsequential, in actuality ends up drastically changing the outcome. The minute difference which results in a hurricane in one scenario and not in the other, could literally be accounted for by a butterfly flapping, rather than not flapping, his wings.

So, I'm extending this out to being a universal principle. And it is the principle of karma. And it is the age old spiritual principle of our lives mattering, and having significance. So, the idea is that virtually everything we do, whether physical, mental, or whatever, creates something like a pattern. And this pattern goes out, and builds momentum. And eventually, it produces an event of like nature. So everything we do, is significant. To tie it a bit more explicitly to chaos theory, given that I did mention it. Everything we do, somehow offsets the pre-existing balance, in some way and degree. It does this according to the nature of what 'it' is. Though seemingly insignificant in and of itself, like a butterfly flapping its wings, this difference compounds and a significant effect is produced by the signature of its alteration to the pre-existing homeostasis. So we can think we are living little unimportant lives, see the day to day nihilistically, as if it is mundane and lacking meaning. But, the things that we are putting into motion with our every thought, word, and action, goes on eventually to produce a significant event, of like nature.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I agree with your thinking.

I think of the pattern as energy manifested in different ways distributed in a probability field that will decide the nature of the manifestation. In double slit experiment the wave function that the electrons can only exist in. And thoughts can change the pattern/probability field. Intention ->manifestation like telepathy thru synchronicity or Reiki (energizing a body from another location regardless of distance).

Every being changes it's surrounding even if we do not notice it.
edit on 9-2-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

I am still trying to wrap my mind around this. Can you put this postulate in the form of an equation? If it can not be put within a single equation then perhaps in a math-Cad file format? Thanks.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence

I am still trying to wrap my mind around this. Can you put this postulate in the form of an equation? If it can not be put within a single equation then perhaps in a math-Cad file format? Thanks.

I'm not sure how you mean. It's more conceptual than could be adequately represented by an equation.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I like your thinking, the ties with physics and occult/mysticism.

Setting the science aside, In the words of great spiritual masters, not every thought manifests. Those that are held with dynamic willpower eventually sink to the subconscious to shape one's behavior, and if they are held more strongly still, they sink to the super-consciousness and shape the world. This is the power of the meditator, but it takes time and persistence.

Its merciful compared to what you are proposing, which has every thought a normal person has, from the psychotic to the angelic manifesting. Such a world would be crazy. Yet at the same time, I suppose there is a view where you could see this, if you allow multiple crazy thoughts from many people to have a single manifestation.

The most powerful words I have heard is that the mind is like a bow. A great mind will hold a thought like an arrow in the bow, firmly, waiting, sinking through his/her super-conscious until at the right time they release the thought, like an arrow, and don't think of it again. This, they say, is the mind of a master.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Great thought, Journey. You're quite the thought provoking thinker, and I commend you. Keep up the gook work.

Realizing that we affect the world around us is both empowering and fearful at the same time. Taking responsibility for what we affect, and the results that may occur from our actions, is the only way to lift us from the despair of nihilism. After all the doctrines that say fate is not in our hands have fallen to our our destruction, and there's nothing left of destiny, or the hands of God to do the work for us, we destroy no longer and begin to create. The idea of karma, or that our actions lead to result no matter the intention, is a creativity and artistry of the higher order.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: tridentblue

I like your thinking, the ties with physics and occult/mysticism.

Setting the science aside, In the words of great spiritual masters, not every thought manifests. Those that are held with dynamic willpower eventually sink to the subconscious to shape one's behavior, and if they are held more strongly still, they sink to the super-consciousness and shape the world. This is the power of the meditator, but it takes time and persistence.

Its merciful compared to what you are proposing, which has every thought a normal person has, from the psychotic to the angelic manifesting. Such a world would be crazy. Yet at the same time, I suppose there is a view where you could see this, if you allow multiple crazy thoughts from many people to have a single manifestation.

The most powerful words I have heard is that the mind is like a bow. A great mind will hold a thought like an arrow in the bow, firmly, waiting, sinking through his/her super-conscious until at the right time they release the thought, like an arrow, and don't think of it again. This, they say, is the mind of a master.

Yes, that is true as well. And as for your presentation of the 'mind of a master' in contrast to a regular person. That has validity as well I would say. But I think this is primarily because in general our thoughts are scattered, and contradictory. Thus their power divides among themselves, and cancels each other out. Whereas the advanced person you speak of would be able to focus his mind more powerfully, and not get lost in contradictory brain-chatter. Or at least that is one way of looking at it. There are a variety of ways of interpreting this, from quite down to earth to quite out there, and just a variety of ways you could potentially interpret it. And I'm choosing to not get too bogged down by one interpretation, and rather focus on the general principle.
edit on 9-2-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I believe in the principals of karma. One thing we do can lead to something happening in our lives, good or bad. Or just plain having a good attitude means you may have better outcomes in life. Or maybe that's just the placebo effect - who really knows. Maybe the placebo effect is karma.

However, I'm not sure if I can jump on board with let's say....me dropping my morning coffee cup and it shattering and spilling -> my floor tiles cracking -> me flipping out cussing up a storm and angry -> an earthquake happens two hours later. IF that is what your theory was going for.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Lorenz's strange attractor for values ρ=28, σ = 10, β = 8/3. The butterfly effect or sensitive dependence on initial conditions is the property of a dynamical system that, starting from any of various arbitrarily close alternative initial conditions on the attractor, the iterated points will become arbitrarily spread out from each other.

Stephen Wolfram noted that the Lorenz equations are highly simplified and do not contain terms that represent viscous effects; he believes that these terms would tend to damp out small perturbations.

I would side with Stephen Wolfram on this. Small perturbations would likely be dampened by the entropic effects within the viscous nature of the atmosphere. Rounding down of data in complex mathematical simulations I simply can not put that together with Karma within a logical framework.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: fictitious

From my point of view Placebo and Nocebo effect is part of it. If person is not in fear and believe he/she will be cured probability of body self healing improved. If person is in fear and cannot relax nocebo effect will make situation worse and immune system will have a greater probability of shuting down.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

I like your thinking there. What you you may not be aware of is that your intuition has taken you DEEP into quantum mechanics. Two lectures by nobel prize winning, Manhattan project (nuke inventing) engineering physicist Richard Feynman on QM:
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
The second is where the payload is, regarding what you said: Thus their power divides among themselves, and cancels each other out This actually describes the nature of light. In the second lecture I linked to, Dr Feynman describes the core of QM: light takes every possible path, as this probability density wave. Its when you add them all up that you see the real behavior. The example he gives in that second talk is of a light, a mirror, and a photo-detector. I did the math on my own (with a computer) adding up all the possible paths, to see he was right - light takes the shortest path, as optics predicted for centuries, but this behavior emerges through adding up every possible path, and seeing all the other light paths but the shortest path cancel each other out

The point is, light goes every possible way, but the majority of those possibilities cancel out, and the physical world as it exists emerges out of the ones that are strong enough they don't cancel out. This is precisely related to karma, and what you are saying. We all have all kinds of thoughts, angelic, psychotic, etc, but they cancel out to nothing in most cases. Its only the thoughts we hold with meditative certainty and power that manifest to anything real, because these thoughts have the quality that they are not cancelled out. The whole of human endeavor can be viewed through this lens: The most held onto thoughts have created this reality we all share.

Its a beautiful view: in a pinch, no matter how little any of us have, if we are willing to focus our minds we all have the capacity for tremendous power inside us. Its an awesome and sobering thing to realize!

ME
edit on 10-2-2015 by tridentblue because: typo

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   

I completely and enthusiastically agree OP! Everything that we think, feel, do, and say matters, in ways we cannot possibly understand, but in turn affects the greater whole.

Some of my thoughts were that if everyone were to live completely in the bliss of their being - including ALL manner of outward expression (and inward - we must be kinder to ourselves!), and by doing so radiate that joy of fully being their highest self in a world that would dictate to them otherwise - that this exuberance, this energy, would create a ripple effect; which would in turn give courage to others to embrace their own "joy in being", in whatever form that may take.

The tiniest, most insignificant action one can imagine, completely changes the timeline.

One may never know the lives they've touched, but rest assured every existence has made a difference to someone, and more than likely many "someones", and also changed the overall paradigm for the better.

We can live as if nothing matters or live as if everything matters...and the choice to use that energy responsibly is, as always, up to us.

----

Thank you so much for posting this, TheJourney. I have often wondered if anyone else thought this way, and especially in the sea of negativity that can flourish in these forums, seeing your post was the capstone to my day and you've expressed yourself most beautifully.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   
The question is, is if the butterfly had the capacity to realise that he could cause a storm. If we were to be aware of the consequences of our actions, then, even a small action might really equate into something momentous, even as a product of intention.
edit on 10-2-2015 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

I've always had that attitude just in life. I always just simply expected things to turn out good and be fine. Somehow in the nick of time, things always went my way. The power of the mind is definitely greater than we know.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: fictitious
a reply to: LittleByLittle

I've always had that attitude just in life. I always just simply expected things to turn out good and be fine. Somehow in the nick of time, things always went my way. The power of the mind is definitely greater than we know.

I have had from my point of view a very negative in life and gotten a lot off really nasty life punches but I know there are people who have had it worse. But I am quite happy with how I handled it. No regrets.

edit on 10-2-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Great thought, Journey. You're quite the thought provoking thinker, and I commend you. Keep up the gook work.

Realizing that we affect the world around us is both empowering and fearful at the same time. Taking responsibility for what we affect, and the results that may occur from our actions, is the only way to lift us from the despair of nihilism. After all the doctrines that say fate is not in our hands have fallen to our our destruction, and there's nothing left of destiny, or the hands of God to do the work for us, we destroy no longer and begin to create. The idea of karma, or that our actions lead to result no matter the intention, is a creativity and artistry of the higher order.

I appreciate that. And I also like what you wrote. It is indeed an empowering idea, yet implies much responsibility.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: tridentblue

I like your thinking there. What you you may not be aware of is that your intuition has taken you DEEP into quantum mechanics. Two lectures by nobel prize winning, Manhattan project (nuke inventing) engineering physicist Richard Feynman on QM:
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
The second is where the payload is, regarding what you said: Thus their power divides among themselves, and cancels each other out This actually describes the nature of light. In the second lecture I linked to, Dr Feynman describes the core of QM: light takes every possible path, as this probability density wave. Its when you add them all up that you see the real behavior. The example he gives in that second talk is of a light, a mirror, and a photo-detector. I did the math on my own (with a computer) adding up all the possible paths, to see he was right - light takes the shortest path, as optics predicted for centuries, but this behavior emerges through adding up every possible path, and seeing all the other light paths but the shortest path cancel each other out

The point is, light goes every possible way, but the majority of those possibilities cancel out, and the physical world as it exists emerges out of the ones that are strong enough they don't cancel out. This is precisely related to karma, and what you are saying. We all have all kinds of thoughts, angelic, psychotic, etc, but they cancel out to nothing in most cases. Its only the thoughts we hold with meditative certainty and power that manifest to anything real, because these thoughts have the quality that they are not cancelled out. The whole of human endeavor can be viewed through this lens: The most held onto thoughts have created this reality we all share.

Its a beautiful view: in a pinch, no matter how little any of us have, if we are willing to focus our minds we all have the capacity for tremendous power inside us. Its an awesome and sobering thing to realize!

ME

Thanks for the links. And you articulated really well the whole idea of thoughts containing that level of power, yet largely canceling each other out to nothing. I like how you showed light as behaving the same way. Really interesting. And just the way you wrote it made me feel motivated to want to really make effort with all of this.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Oh, you've had me thinking too all day! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

new topics

top topics

join