It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honesty: Does anybody else feel demotivated with life due to the state of society or the world?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

If something is obviously and completely futile, then all signs point towards imminent collapse. I mean, people have been talking for years and years about how industrial civilization, resource extraction, capitalism etc is completely unsustainable. We have been well warned. Same goes for knowing that much of the politics are either rigged or stuck in a rut. Entire societies' infrastructure can go down a dead end road. Just because everybody keeps believing in it and assuming it's entirely legit doesn't make it so.

In such a case as this, which we are basically all in, elites and peasants alike perhaps, all one can do is seek alternatives - in every way, shape and form. I am essentially anti-social, so my response would be to disconnect from society itself. Of course, we all depend on it for money and food. Unless you become completely off-the-grid and self-sufficient - just go off somewhere and start a commune. Or make peace with your Creator and hope for the best. Pray for alien intervention!

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   

honestly, yes, but only sometimes....
i realize that the more i refuse to accept everything as it currently is, the more i will suffer.

i dunno whether i can contribute to make the world a better place or not
but i will try without expecting too much, like helping people around me, seeing and treating them equally like how i would treat myself as best as i could, etc.
if i expect too much, i will feel bad if my efforts could not meet the expectations.
good deeds don't go unpunished... it's quite true.... i experienced that few times that it doesn't bother me anymore... hehe.

then i also realize i could also enjoy life more by being honest with myself. what is it that i really want (to do, to achieve, etc) before this body expires.
It can be materialistic (food i want to eat, things i like to do), or spiritualistic (getting in tune with life)... whatever... .

But the best thing i can do to enjoy life... is to stop worrying and living in present.

because, it's just a ride like Bill Hicks said.

peace

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I completely and %100 percent agree with everything you said, and i feel the same way as you do most of the time.

I have always been a naturally happy person, chipper you could say. After spending years reading ats and other things, taking some college history and political science classes (which i do well in, had the top score in my first polisci class without even trying) it has kind of put a damper on things. I really dont see a point in my life at this moment.

I was actually told by someone the other day that i need to stop telling people the truth all the time. That's America for you in a nutshell right there. I have been applying for apartments and one of the people told me i shouldnt be so honest on the applications thats why ive not gotten an apartment yet.

I have holes in employment history, ive been to jail, and all of the slacker stuff i did, in the end, got me where i am now so i dont see it as bad. Apparently other people dont see it that way.

I see liars around me all the time and i refuse to join in on the fun. Not that im 100% honest all the time, of course, but i dont feel the need to hide my past and it gets me into situations that i would rather not be in, like not able to find a decent apartment or job.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

So a few days ago I was at Wendy's, and I do love a Wendy's cheeseburger. While I was in line I noticed a homeless man sitting in the restaurant opening up two packages of crackers. I looked at him and he smiled, so I asked him how he was doing today, and if he had actually had a meal. His response was that he was doing great, about to eat these crackers, but hadn't eaten a meal today. So I asked him what would he like to order? His response was one of the chicken wrap meals was plenty. Now I had just ordered a meal that cost me almost $9, and this homeless man who could have ordered anything chose a meal that cost $4.20. The homeless man Terry was respectful of my money, and that never ceases to amaze me how many times a homeless person orders the cheapest thing available.

So you might say what is the point of this story? I would tell you don't forget about the difference your actions are having on you. Sometimes the difference you make isn't on a grand scale, but it is all that matters to the person you've helped. It helps you maintain your humanity, in a world where we are gradually being conditioned to not see each other as a person who has a soul.

A friend told me his wife told him one day that she wondered if god put angels on this earth as homeless people. Because homeless people see the worst from people.

Just remember the people you've met, and you'll never become disillusioned.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

This is the end my friend.

Closed system.
The overall productivity is lagging behind the economic interest

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

There is a cycle for everything. A cycle in seasons, cycles of life and death and a cycle in man made governments as well.
Ours had pretty much reached its end where it is a self serving corrupted mass of psychopaths giving each other the reach around.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
It's just a cycle...

When we get some new leadership. Proud Americans,not wimps.

Things will change. For now, unplug, kick back and turn off the devices.

ATS has required breaks for many of us. It all gets to be too much.

It will all pass...Hang in there. We need you.

I disagree.
When Washington DC is 80% full of self serving Corporate and Banking Crony Capitalists that exist in a revolving door to serve each other, you could put Mother Teresa in charge and they would call her the devil in the media if she does not tow the line in serving them.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

I'd suggest ditching government work. You want to help communities, go it rogue, develop trusts, start not for profits, anything but government. That's likely the problem you're facing. Trying to help within establishments that are inherently inefficient and difficult to progress with.

I would make the opposite case that we actually need more like him in government that have a conscience and see the corruption for what it is.

Don't you think Government already has more than enough psychopaths not bothered by the corruption and evil?
edit on 11-2-2015 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   

I hear where you are coming from but even long before the internet I was disillusioned! When we are growing up I think most of us realize that we are living in a very selfish world but it's not until we start looking into things do we find out how bad it truly is!
The way I see things today is we have none to blame but ourselves! because in life we are allowed to choose
and the majority does nothing to choose change have many of us ever wondered why that is?
Why we allow our fear to keep our mouths in check?

I know many people on ATS have seen the movie the matrix where Neo is given a choice between willfull ignorance
or illumination of truth! He of coarse chooses truth but later on in the movie another character Cypher tells Neo
if Morpheous would have told us what that truth would mean he would have taken ignorance!
This is basically the human condition! The truth is, only rare individuals will suffer the truth when we can instead
revel in ignorance! most people only want the truth that already suits their belief system! This is the thing that will
cause our eventual destruction! even if it's not a complete destruction of society we will see the population greatly diminish back to pre industrial levels!

So this is the world at our feet and we know much of what is in the cards for our future but most of those around us
would rather watch reality TV then to know reality for real! I find this more sad then anything else that I have discovered in my life! I look around me at children playing in the street and long for those days when I thought of our world with wonder and now I just look at humanity with disdain! The sad part of our society is its not that hard to change the world
and make it a world where we would strive for the betterment of all mankind! though to do this we have to accept the truth for what it is and not for what we choose to see it as! we need to stop destroying our oceans, lands, water, deforestation and transition to a sustainable economy!

I see people living in true denial but the only real denial is in giving their children an opportunity for a future! I prey everyday that we somehow awaken from the illusion that our society has chosen to see. A reality not much different
from Neos Matrix but instead of being manipulated by machines we are manipulated by a hierarchy of banking, military, media and politicians! I don't know if we will be able to make peace with the machines pulling the wool over our eyes at
the end of this celluloid travesty but one can only hope! Goodluck and Godbless you ATS!

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   

You need to understand what a "facade" is - it is the exterior, a coating that can make things appear uniform and simple. What MSM does is create a facade, even, a global facade for the average person. What you are aware of is what is "under the hood" and you are disgusted by it. "They" laugh in your face, because, the only real threat to them would be an educated populace that is able to comprehend the inner-workings of society, being able to vote with their feet.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Don't worry, it's only a perception due to the Sun's filament passing by.
You'll feel better in a day or two

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

I'd suggest ditching government work. You want to help communities, go it rogue, develop trusts, start not for profits, anything but government. That's likely the problem you're facing. Trying to help within establishments that are inherently inefficient and difficult to progress with.

I would make the opposite case that we actually need more like him in government that have a conscience and see the corruption for what it is.

Don't you think Government already has more than enough psychopaths not bothered by the corruption and evil?

You missed the point. It's not about governments being good or bad, it's about the centralization no longer making sense. Decentralization is the future. The longer we have good people wasting their time with the old, the longer it takes us to really move forward.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
We cannot be certain of what the motivations are.

How about the idea of security and living not-compromised by any foreign power or ideology. How would you like to be ruled by China for instance, or North Korea?; things can be worse. Maybe they (United States/Europe) are willing to take extreme measures including deception and killing to maintain hegemony.

As far as nature, it is not pretty and 'nature' includes us humans. I saw one nature show where a mother bird would bring home food to a nest of 3 chicks. Two of the chicks would take all the food when it is offered, and while the mother was away those two chicks would peck the weaker one to death. It would feel better to see nature for what it is.

You think governments exist to make you feel better and to make you live better? It is only a consequence of what they have to do. Their primary motivation is business and self gain.
edit on 12-2-2015 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The best years of my life were my childhood from about 9-16 years old. The most free, exciting, liberating, adventurous times of my life. I'm pretty happily married, am healthy, have great income etc. But I cannot shake in the back of my mind I'm a slave to the system. Humanity despite all the bull rhetoric about how great society is, democracy etc. is enslaved. And it will not get better only worse before we burn out or someone saved us. There is a constant battle of good over evil being waged but evil is winning out. I brought two lives into this despicable world and the only redeeming hope I have is to love them, teach them the truth, and guide them through strength and courage to make a difference. My kids are my hope, not God, not America, not guns or revolution, not technology, not money. I pray that future generations can see the mess we've created. I think the world is getting too big and too crowded. The future is dark but maybe hope lies ahead .

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

This is true, we need less people going into government that are either uneducated or in it for pure power and greed.

My mother, a wise woman, told me that too often spiritual or ethical people bow out of positions of power due to fears of corruption and the people who inhabit the halls of power. They often choose humble jobs that help such as being a nurse or a teacher, like her own mother. But she said correctly, if every aware person only chooses the humble and avoids power out of fear, then the only people we will have in power are those who are sociopaths.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

You missed the point. It's not about governments being good or bad, it's about the centralization no longer making sense. Decentralization is the future. The longer we have good people wasting their time with the old, the longer it takes us to really move forward.

It's both and, not either or. Countries in general are decentralizing their programs. At an international scale, it is the opposite. At no time has it been more critical for international cooperation to increase, while respecting national sovereignty. This is exactly what is happening.

We face a host of challenges that cannot be surmounted without cooperation and agreement. Hence, we do need good people at those levels.

It's not tenable to have complete decentralization.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: olddognewtricks
a reply to: FyreByrd

First of all, I am educating my children, making sure that not only do they have a mastery of the basics (strong math and sciences kills, extensive knowledge of history and philosophy, divers wilderness survival skills, etc etc) but also imbuing them with a sense that they alone must create their own opportunities and that they must not depend on others to save them. Second of all, I don't vote for anybody who is not definitely going to dutifully serve this country. (As it so happens there is nobody currently in office whom I voted for, except for one single local town councilman). Third, I work every day towards greater personal independence and am continually educating myself.

Right on.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
We cannot be certain of what the motivations are.

How about the idea of security and living not-compromised by any foreign power or ideology. How would you like to be ruled by China for instance, or North Korea?; things can be worse. Maybe they (United States/Europe) are willing to take extreme measures including deception and killing to maintain hegemony.

As far as nature, it is not pretty and 'nature' includes us humans. I saw one nature show where a mother bird would bring home food to a nest of 3 chicks. Two of the chicks would take all the food when it is offered, and while the mother was away those two chicks would peck the weaker one to death. It would feel better to see nature for what it is.

You think governments exist to make you feel better and to make you live better? It is only a consequence of what they have to do. Their primary motivation is business and self gain.

As to your first paragraph, yes that is the whole point. They are willing to do ANYTHING to retain global hegemony, empire, etc. This is why it is all a lie what the reasons are for. And no, it is fairly clear for those who work in politics and global affairs for long enough what the motivations are.

The problem is, that empire is not for you and I. It is for the elite. So it doesn't even really benefit the common Westerner that much.

Yes, there is a Darwinian argument to be had here, i.e. the law of the jungle. But we are going to slowly destroy ourselves through advanced weaponry/wars OR sucking the life out of the biosphere which sustains us if we do not change our ways.

You see, we still have animalistic instincts which propel us to reproduce, kill, be all tribal. However, we've also transcended some of the natural checks on those such as using modern medicine to lower the death rate. We've also created industry and technology that creates both the possibility for food to feed much larger than natural populations and the specter of environmental destruction. And then there is the possibility of wars that could wipe out half the world with nuclear weapons or something.

So the adaptation and darwinian arguments have validity but fail because we've already transcended the natural carrying capacity of the Earth without transcending and changing disregard for the environment and collective cooperation. At a certain level, such as now, the old way becomes dangerous to our collective survival, and hence is not sustainable.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bundy

I completely and %100 percent agree with everything you said, and i feel the same way as you do most of the time.

I have always been a naturally happy person, chipper you could say. After spending years reading ats and other things, taking some college history and political science classes (which i do well in, had the top score in my first polisci class without even trying) it has kind of put a damper on things. I really dont see a point in my life at this moment.

I was actually told by someone the other day that i need to stop telling people the truth all the time. That's America for you in a nutshell right there. I have been applying for apartments and one of the people told me i shouldnt be so honest on the applications thats why ive not gotten an apartment yet.

I have holes in employment history, ive been to jail, and all of the slacker stuff i did, in the end, got me where i am now so i dont see it as bad. Apparently other people dont see it that way.

I see liars around me all the time and i refuse to join in on the fun. Not that im 100% honest all the time, of course, but i dont feel the need to hide my past and it gets me into situations that i would rather not be in, like not able to find a decent apartment or job.

Yeah, I hear you.

Guys, I am taking a break from ATS for a month or two. As some members pointed out, it's okay to take a break from constant bombardment of effed up realities for a bit. Don't take this as a move to "re-enter" the Matrix but instead just focus on my relationships, the amazing fact we are alive, spirituality, exercise, etc. I need to recharge dem batteries for a bit so I can come out swinging again

Much love to all of you and namaste.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

So, the problem is, other people can step away from it, I cannot. I can't do my job if I don't keep up with what is going on in the world on a variety of topics, mostly international development and politics related to that.

So, a rough analogy would be what does a doctor do if they suddenly find themselves totally disillusioned with the medical system.

Great analogy, very helpful. I've know a few doctors that, after paying off their loans, chose to quit the field altogether because of such disallusionment or change their approach to something radically different such as "Doctor's without Borders", work in Free Clinics and in a couple of cases move to complementary medicine modalities and research. But all these people had spouses or other family that could support them in their change of paradigm.

You are imbedded in a system that, at best, is slanted towards supporting 'colonialism' (which, IMO, is the real meaning of 'development'), so you can either stay and fight the 'good fight' a hero's path to be certain, or change your paradigm.

By staying (by Father's perferred method of change) you will not make big changes but small incremental ones that can effect the decisions of your (how I hate this word) superiors over the long term and hence gain respect.

You could take your experience and knowledge into the new fields of Peace studies, Reconciliation, Restoritive Justice (I'm not certain of all the names) and build a new more useful career for yourself. But I suspect quite a lot of fears will have to be faced in order to do you.

It's important, while being aware of the big picture, to always focus on the little things, your next step, the next report to write or read, the next meeting, the next budget, whatever and be unbiased and open to the new data and people and always walk toward the world you'd like to see.

A great friend told me, and I will paraphase badly, when I asked how do I decide what to do next, said, "Take the action that supports your ultimate goal and then forget about it". This is a guy that makes me cry everytime we talk because he sees right through my BS so I tend to avoid him - LOL.

I fall into despair when I feel powerless over the big picture, other people and life in general and when I focus on what's next up in my life and do the best I can, everything seems to work better and better yet, I feel like I've accomplished something which is what life is all about.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join