It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What type of relationship do you have with God?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
I thought instead of arguing about religion we should have a discussion about your relationship with God. So here are the rules for this thread:

1. For this thread you can not discuss your religion and beliefs concerning your religion.

OK.

2. One on One - you and God alone. Share your real relationship with God.

There is none

3. What has God told you?

No entity claiming to be God has ever spoken to me.

4. Have you met your God?

No.

5. Anything you would like to share that God has told you?

See numbers 2, 3 and 4

6. You have no relationship with God because he does not exist. Please explain why he does not exist.

That I have no relationship with and have never talked to an entity claiming to be God does not mean He does not exist. I can't form a conclusion either way. I have talked with people who claim to have talked with God or to "have a relationship" with God, but when I ask them for specifics they become quite vague.

It appears to me that your poll presupposes that people either have a relationship with or have talked with God OR they believe no such thing exists. And, of course, it is a basic rule of logic that you can't prove a negative, which is what you are asking people to do.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Have you ever asked God for a sign or some form of communication, or are you totally indifferent to whether or not God exists?

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

God created the Universe...

Those goalposts cannot be moved...

You just have to be smart enough to say what actually created the Universe to prove there is no God.

"Can't prove a negative" is subjective to the "negative" in question.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Free climbing up a water worn crevasse in Montserrat Spain, a limestone Dome Mountain. It was behind the old Monks Quarters, now a hotel back in 1991. At about 100 meters up my foot hold crumbled, and had only one secure hand hold.I reached out with my left arm to grab a dead bush stump, and I cried out "Jesus!" I grabbed a hold, and started to pull myself up over a small ledge, and the stump started breaking that I had in my hand with my last bit of hold I had left I lunged with my body and let go of my right arm hold and reached with my right arm and desperately grabbing, with my right hand up over the ledge, and I cried out "Mary!" My right hand had garbbed blindly into a thick growing patch of plant of some-kind. With my firm hold of the plant I reached up with my left and found a hold I pulled my self up, and saw that in my right hand were Purple violets about 20 cm by 30 cm small patch. I gave thanks and with that I was filled with electric love goose bumps And understood there is male and female parts of God. And what came to me is, man lives life and woman gives it. And I defiantly believed there is some higher power after that. a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

edit on 9-2-2015 by Michaelfunction because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer
My relationship with god is the same as he has with me, silent, careless and unmotivated.

Agnosticism by him of me works pretty good really.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

However I imagine the relationship to be, it is limited by my own functions. To that end, my relationship is a constant attempt at growth. The direction of movement is determined by God's will, but more in the sense of a plant growing towards light rather than a book or authority figure.

Most of it has been insight into my work, new directions of research/experiments, and things of that nature. And only when I attempt progress myself instead of waiting for it to be done for me.

Omnipresence is one of my defining parameters, so yes. Full realization isn't there, due to innate limitations, so it's more like glimpses of the sun through a forest canopy.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I only know God as this GROUP of Higher Beings that have been masqueraded and manipulated as some all-powerful all-knowing singular being despite so much evidence in the Bible and Koran, combined with the Vedic, Sumerian, Greek Mythos and more, to the contrary.

There are a group of Gods, and their group is known as Yahweh, or Allah. It seems some of that group tried to teach Humans the good. Some of that group showed and partook in the bad. All of that group are represented in the historical texts.

Finally, To me, they are most probably inter/extra dimensional with technology capable of travelling between the realms (Ezekiels Chariot, Gods Glory....I'm still reading the Koran but will no doubt find something in there too).

From my studies, and from what Jesus tried to teach, is that mastery of the spirit reveals the glory inside of each and every one of us, because we hold the key, the power of Gods is within us all. The sumerians/babylonian creation tale also explains that Humans were made from the sacrifice of a God to give us spirit so that we can be killed, but we shall not die. Mastery of our body, mind, and spirit, complete control of our emotions will enable some use of this power.

God, to me, is understanding. Of Us. Our World. Our Realms. Our Universe.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I have reached a kind of connection with the spiritual realm. What I think is on all levels is very different than what I was taught/told here. Spirit having a human experience. Kinda homesick but loving the feelings from home.

edit on 9-2-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

It is a relationship that is unlike any other for me. He gives me an ear when I need it and a place I can take my brokenness and shame. A place that I can feel a love unlike any other I've experienced.

To tell others what hes done.

Not physically, but spiritually without a doubt.

He loves you.

Just out of curiosity what is your experience when it comes to these things?

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I believe God exists but not the bizarre god-human hybrid /love me or burn in hell deity as christians believe. I believe God is simply beyond comprehension and is separate from the physical universe that we live in. So I find it funny when some people act like they know "God" personally and think God "tells" them things - thats exactly how bad things happen with organised religion.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Not telling it is personal to each one of us.
As it should be..
never believe anyone who tells you any man made version of her.
Religion for example.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Mainly a nightly prayer relationship with God. I have had that since I was in about 1st grade. Every so often, I think I can feel a presence, but usually, my husband is a master of interrupting me even though he knows I pray before sleep. There are also times when I can listen to a sermon or someone talking about their faith or reading scripture or commentaries and feel a longing or calling almost. In recent years, I have also felt an increasing sense of detachment from the material world an almost sense of letting go although I love my family, friends and loved ones just as much as ever.

When I was a child, I grew up in a house that had something dark in it. I never knew what it was, but imagine a sense of sheer, screaming, unreasoning terror, the feeling that something was behind you and being absolutely unable to look and confront it because you were that afraid of what you might see. That was the kind of thing that was in my house. It would come and stare from the doorway into my room. I always kept the door shut except when I needed the AC to keep the room cool in summer, and then, I used prayer and even things as simple as "Jesus Love Me." They never failed me. He never failed me.

Early on, God drew me to the book of Revelation, something that was not taught at my church. Recently, he has sent me some dreams with interesting implications. They are mentioned on this site in a couple places.

I will not say that God himself has walked with me, but I have dreamed of walking with a presence who held my hand and told me "I will never leave you." The implication is that He is walking with me, guiding me. I have also dreamed of a single white lamb in a field of pure white snow. This is symbolic of Christ.

Again, am I dreaming of Him? Who can say. I know what I believe.

A great testimony for all of us to think about...... I like it. You sound very spiritual. Continue with your walk with God because to me it is clear you do.

God bless you

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb

It is a relationship that is unlike any other for me. He gives me an ear when I need it and a place I can take my brokenness and shame. A place that I can feel a love unlike any other I've experienced.

To tell others what hes done.

Not physically, but spiritually without a doubt.

He loves you.

Just out of curiosity what is your experience when it comes to these things?

So many excellent responses given in different views and experiences. When at home, before I pray to God, (morning and night) I make a proper setting because I hope to get God's attention .... meaning I want him to come near to me. I turn on worship music (low level in the background), I burn high quality incense, I turn on two to three white candles... I set the atmosphere. I think it is important, this shows signs of respect. Of course I know this is not required before prayers; just my way or worshipping the one true God.

Also being humble before starting my prayers by getting on my knees before prayer. I humble myself before God. Very important.

Once the atmosphere is set, I start with the Lord's prayer as Jesus taught, then if needed I repent any specific sin that I can recallI but more importantly I ask God to also forgive my unknown sins that I have committed, then I move into prayers (more than one) of praise, here is where I spend a lot of time. Then I pray for those who need help...... health, financial, inner healing, blessing upon those I personally know.... I call out by name, then to those I don't know but have seen either on TV, newspapers, radio (here is the only time I am being vague), then I ask God to bless my family and myself. Then I tell him my issues/problems and I ask for a solutions (which I always get either that day, week or month). Then I move into giving thanks. Prayers of being thankful. Basically thanking God for hearing my prayers and for answering them ... (faith).

I take my time and don't rush through my prayers and it is done when family is out of the home (which sometimes can be an issue). This entire act of worship takes anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes every morning and again every evening. I pray in secret as it should be.... unless I walk into a church. (seldom)

I don't see God but can feel him. Sometimes I will have visions when in prayer. Most of the times after I ask a question the answer pops into my mind even before I say the last word in my request. I can tell the difference between the thoughts of my mind and when God speaks to me. I can also feel what his mood is when speaking to me and believe me he does not take sides no matter how desperate you or sorrowful you feel, he is truth and he tells it like it is and sometimes it hurts. Often he sends his spirit .... to me that would be the Holy Spirit. Once I felt a human hand as it laid on my left shoulder other times my entire body tingles with such a strong electrical type feeling I can feel something standing next to me.

And that is my way I worship God and it is very effective. I have seen many miracles and I bet many of you have as well... just another way of God pouring out his love on his children who believe in him and worship him.

God bless you all.
edit on 10-2-2015 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

It seems to me we might follow the same lord. At least your response leads me to believe that.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

6. I do not believe in him, but I believe he does exist as a literary character in books. When we take the word God and see what person, place or thing it points to, it only ever points to itself, the word God in various books and sermons, and is thus a circular premise if assumed to be anything more.

Until anyone can show it exists beyond the word, there is no reason to give one's life and trust over to it.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I'm not sure what logic you're thinking of, but you can prove a negative.

It's just that the universe of discourse in this instance is too vast to check and confirm, or to provide contrary evidence.
edit on 10-2-2015 by TheSubversiveOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSubversiveOne

6. I do not believe in him, but I believe he does exist as a literary character in books. When we take the word God and see what person, place or thing it points to, it only ever points to itself, the word God in various books and sermons, and is thus a circular premise if assumed to be anything more.

I would actually say that a lack of belief in God is a circular premise via problem of induction, uniformity in nature, and the laws of logic.

If a person starts with God as an axiom required for knowledge to be possible it is no longer circular reasoning.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
god is my best friend.. since I was little I would talk to him everyday.. through out the day. mostly I talk to him just in my head.. I feel you have to be very quiet and still to feel him. I have never heard him literally speak to me. I always feel closest to him outdoors .. around nature

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

My relationship with God is like a child to a parent, except in spirit, not in body: He comes to me when I need help and guidance and/or I go to him; sometimes I take his guidance, and sometimes I don't (out of selfishness and fear); sometimes I praise him, and, every once in awhile, I feel like I have pleased him, but he does not reciprocate in praise.

Through my heart, prayer, meditation, and fellowship, he tells me many many things - mostly about his will for me, but there is a lot about his will for what is not wholly related to me as well (like things about reality and their purpose).

Side note: there is a lot of revelation in fellowship. When trying to help one another with answers, by interpreting your spirit, and Jesus being with you, you, yourself, will see, or translate things, that are beyond you. That is, Matthew 18:20 is remarkably true - astonishingly so.

Hmm, and that's about it, I guess, apart from saying how I pray etc. which is private.

Oh, I guess I could add that, somewhat like Serdgiam, my relationship feels like a drive, or growth, towards the light (truth) - like a quest almost.

Okay, that's it.
edit on 2/10/2015 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

If a person starts with God as an axiom required for knowledge to be possible it is no longer circular reasoning.

Well actually your axiom is the arguments and authority of your favourite book. Beyond that I'm not sure you have anything else to believe in.

I would agree that the statement God doesn't exist is self-detonating. God does exist as a character in books.

God as a premise and God as the conclusion is the definition of circular reasoning.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join