It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid movies and the people that like them

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
PROJECT ALMANAC

Saw the movie, and literally threw up 3/4 the way through because of the movie.

It is filmed like Blair Witch and Echo, using unsteady hand helds.

If you at all get car or air sick or can't watch 3D, then DO NOT go see this movie.

If not for the cinematography it would have been a fun little movie, but the unsteady screen made it unwatchable for me.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Sounds like a visual roller coaster. Designed to give you vertigo or something. I don't like "found footage" movies because they're like that.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

That's a good one. For some odd reason whenever I hear jazz I think of old cartoons. I keep picturing Tom sneaking up on Jerry with a chainsaw when I hear this for some reason.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

The book I am Legend is awesome-if they made the movie following the book-I think it would have won almost every movie award that exists.

The Descent is another one they flopped.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

It seems like they wanted Ender's Game to be like Image Comics-stunning visuals and almost zero story.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: FalcoFan

The book I am Legend is awesome-if they made the movie following the book-I think it would have won almost every movie award that exists.

The Descent is another one they flopped.

Eh..I am Legend is a solid film if taken on it's own or possible as an homage to what Matheson put out.

The US ending of The Decent sucked. The original ending is much better.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

And don't forget The Omega Man, starring Charlton Heston. Also based on the Matheson original story.
I kinda look at it like Omega Man was an upgrade then I am Legend a further upgrade for the younger generations.

But what pisses me is when they take a movie with a message, then re-do it years later and leave out the message. Perfect example was Rollerball. 1975

In the original, the political message was clear. Corporations had come to rule the world. The Corporate Wars were over and now they ran the Rollerball Game as a bread and circuses for the masses. Though the game was devised in such a way as that no player could rise above the game itself and become a long lasting hero for the masses, over the game itself, Jonathan manages it. The game was designed to quell any hopes or aspirations for the individual to rise above the grinding nature of life under the corporation. Brutal truth in Sci/fi form.
Jonathan E, emerges as a man, representing all men. He begins to question the life he has, his success, the very nature of the reality he has never before questioned. A man awakening.

Rollerball 2002. Nothing but flash and action. No message, nothing to think about. No sub-plot, no character development, no nothing. Almost as if someone were trying to dilute the memory of the original.

The bad remake of "The Last Man on Earth" cannot compare to the remake of Rollerball But then that's just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Cloverfield (in the theater) did that to me.

That shaky camcorder crap needs to be left to homemade Youtube zombie movies.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Have you been able to check out the Descent book?

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

That perfectly expresses how I felt when I saw it. Thank you lol.

My brother keeps looking at me funny because I'm saying "nerd rage" and laughing. Man, that's funny. I'll have to remember that one.

You've never heard of nerd rage? Really? I thought everyone knew about nerd rage. Just go to a serious Star Wars or Star Trek forum and get the lore wrong, and you will see nerd rage.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
How about World War Z? If you want a movie that could have been a decent enough zombie/plague action thingie starring Brad Pitt, OK. But then it's like someone said, "Hey guys! I know how we distinguish this otherwise ho hum script ... We buy the rights to that awesome book by Max Brooks and slap the title on it. Yeah I know it has pretty much nothing to do with anything except the loose concept of a global zombie apocalypse ... but people will come because, you know, title."

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: FalcoFan

I didn't care for The Descent. I couldn't believe they made a sequel.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I haven't seen The Omega Man. I intend to look it up now. Thanks.

I agree, I liked the original Rollerball much better. The newer one was watered down.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I really never heard of it. I guess I'm out of touch with some things lol.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

When I co-wrote a novel recently...I learned that a SCREENPLAY of the SAME book...with the same facts...somewhat needs to be changed to make it more "interesting" to watch.

Our novel was filled with interesting and juicy parts that were all real...but the studios wanted us to twist things up even further (lie) to make it a more interesting film.

We are represented by and with Universal...so we did it. The screenplay is nothing...NOTHING like the book itself. In fact...we threw out 1/2 of it. We decided to shelve it ourselves rather than let it go like that.

Shame. Not much is like the books these days....

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I had to login just to say that Enders Game both the book and film are bad really bad and though I haven't published a book It seemed badly written (book I mean) I had it written down on my list of 'Great' Science fiction books that I have been meaning to read but halfway through I laughed and thought, 'No way am I wasting my time on this rubbish'. There are parts where Ender is thinking to himself but it's written in the same line as something being described or someone else talking. It is rubbish and the film was poor as well.

I was hoping it would be the next big scifi series to watch. I thought Yeah I can take my nephews to see this and they'll enjoy it just like I did with Star Wars/trek but nope. When we got to the end my nephew Lee, said to me 'Dan, if a film is bad do we get our money back?' I laughed loudly at that and couldn't agree with him more but I had to break the news to him that you didn't get your money back.

So in summary, both are bad. Really bad! but I do respect that you liked the book.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Danny85

Interesting! I liked the book....well I liked the story. I actually feel the way you do..... but about Dune. I have tried reading Dune like 3 times now and I can't freaking stand it. Its basically the last of the great Sci Fi books (that im aware of) that I need to read and I just can't.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

That must have hurt. I don't know if I could do it.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I don't mind the movie being different than the book as long as the movie is still good.

I really hate when they remake a movie and add nothing to improve the original.
King Kong
War of the worlds
The time machine.
Blaaaa!

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Yeah that's on my list too. I've been through all the Hitchhikers books even the ones Adams didn't write. I've been through the classics H.G Wells, War of the worlds and time machine, Jules Verne etc. Dune is about four books away, the next one is either I am Legend or K Pax 2 (I read the first one a few weeks back and really enjoyed it).

I'm not really sure what I'm going to be reading after I've finished my list. A friend recommended stepping away from sci fi for a while and going maybe Horror or comedy. He said reading so much of a single genre can make me bored of it and he might just be right.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join