It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grand Canyon Development Plan Sparks Controversy Among Navajo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Developers intend to build a new 420 arce attrtaction at the Grand Canyon-an attraction which wil include an Imax theater, retail, hotels, an RV Park and a Gondola train that will take passengers to the canyon floor where there would be a riverwalk, restaurants, and other services. Proponents say that the development will provide access to those who would normally not be able to make the long trip to the canyon floor; the tram would only take ten minutes to reach the canyon floor. The development would be on Navajo land and there is now a rift between those that want the development because of the jobs it will bring and the economic boost it will bring, and those who cite themselves as protectors of the land.

Developers Confluence Partners want to provide the more than 5 million annual visitors to the Grand Canyon National Park with a new 420-acre attraction. Their plans for the canyon's rim include a multimedia complex with an IMAX theater, retail shops, hotels, an RV park and a gondola tram that would take visitors 1.6 miles to the canyon floor in ten minutes. Confluence Partners has also drawn up plans for a "Riverwalk" on the canyon floor that would include elevated connected walkways, a food pavilion, a tramway station, a terraced seating area and a wastewater package plant.

I think the Grand Canyon should be left alone. Certain things should not be developed but left as natural wonders to enjoy; a development would ruin that. What does ATS think?

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Ok, I could maybe see building some kind of transport to the bottom, for people who can't get their on their own, but all that other crap?

Nope, I'm with you. I just see this as being disastrous in the long run.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Looks like they're trying to turn it into a GIGANTIC cashcow now. Although I'm sure it brings in a lot of money already.

I don't get it honestly. Aside from money (which is ultimately their only goal) it's pointless to smack corporate logos on nature...

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Divide the people so they argue. That is the American way.

Some of the Indians want to share their heritage while others are afraid that this will destroy their heritage. Who is right and who is wrong, there is no answer.

Money is not their only goal, they want employment for their people.
edit on 9-2-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

What's the result of employment? Money.

And yeah divide and conquer, same old game.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

They really can't leave anything alone can they.

I've been lucky enough to visit the canyon twice, and from what I remember it had one indian gift shop. The rest was unspoilt beauty.

But profit is to be made, so guess the canyon, no matter how grand it is, stands little chance of ever defeating the army of growth and greed merchants. :sad:

So sad....

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
No... God no..

I have done a couple hikes down through the Havasu Indian Reservation it's so beautiful... Just say no to development down at the bottom.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

One day all the natural tourist sites will be so developed there won't be anything natural left.....

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I say no. I'm with the traditional Navajos with this. There are sacred sites down there that most certainly will be damaged or otherwise desecrated. Also, it will bring other things that are detrimental to their people. I see it as yet another broken treaty. They'll also use this as another tool to divide that nation and keep them fighting among themselves while they're getting screwed.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I'm all for it jobs and money. From 2 miles away you won't know it's there. 420 acres out of over 1,220,000 in the park alone. You'll have to go out of your way to find it.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I agree, the people that put forth the effort to get there typically take care not to damage the area they are visiting.

Express tourists are just to bloody ignorant, they would trash the sacred areas without even knowing it because they got there with no effort.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: Skid Mark

I agree, the people that put forth the effort to get there typically take care not to damage the area they are visiting.

Express tourists are just to bloody ignorant, they would trash the sacred areas without even knowing it because they got there with no effort.

There will be mounds of trash; maybe even another canyon's worth of it. The development won't stop here either. There will be more hotels and tourist attractions.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Ugh,where the hell are the hippies when you NEED them?
At least WE travel to some guys ranch...

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
They built that canyon walk-thing and now they want to build this. The Navajos need the money but isn't there a better way?

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
They built that canyon walk-thing and now they want to build this. The Navajos need the money but isn't there a better way?

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
I'm all for it jobs and money. From 2 miles away you won't know it's there. 420 acres out of over 1,220,000 in the park alone. You'll have to go out of your way to find it.

THIS

I live here and guess what, nobody goes here anymore because it sucks, there is no real airport, mediocre skiing at best and you have to drive across endless dead arse desert to get here, I asked my buddy in NY to take a vacation here he said his wife told me to go "EFF" myself.

The Canyon is gigantic, I can think of a million more interesting ways to make visiting it not a nightmare, for starters putting a 9 year old on a donkey hanging on for dear life and scared senseless does not a vacation make particularly when it's 3hrs down at 103 degrees with no bathroom.

There is 300 Miles of wilderness in every direction, the trees are 12 stories high you'd never even see this it's 400 acres the environmental FANATICS need to stop being dummies.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
How bout they open this up.

peopleus.blogspot.com...

instead of another mall.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit

The Grand Canyon area is huge. I flew over it on a trip to California and it seemed never ending. Then we came down at LAX, talk about city from horizon to horizon! Man, that's big too!

I'd say that they could develop the land if they want, the Native Americans own that part, right? Let them exercise their property rights and develop it if they want. I'm sure that there is plenty of canyon that is protected from development.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I have been to both the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls. Niagara Falls is beautiful but it has been taken over by hotels and tourist traps on both the Canadian and American sides...which is fun but takes away from the natural beauty and also attracts way too many people.

I am not completely against seeing a very strict, limited amount of development at the Grand Canyon but would hate to see it become over developed anywhere regardless of the size of it.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Someone got a developer's deal on this and is planning on making serious money.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join