It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newsweek Magazine Special Edition - Off Grid

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

They're cashing in on several subcultures' methodology because their correlation (separation from “the system”) has become somewhat of a trending meme (due to the growing changes in “the system” and how it is viewed).

I think the only thing they’re trying to say is: “We have made these pictures, and the words next to them, expressive of concepts that might be desirable or intriguing to you. We have done so because we want to sell you the image of your desires. That is, we want your money and we made this magazine to trade to you for your money: please buy it.”

It is kind of silly when you break it down like that, isn’t it? But that’s what it is.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It doesn't matter if it is real or not, if the market determines hoarding and survival gear is the next trend, the market will cater to it to milk it for every cent. The investments have probably already been made and media outlets like this will be used to drive the sheeple in for a good shearing.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

The game has never been "give the people what they want".

It has always been "make them think you have given them what they want".

What do you want to bet, that the people whose ONLY knowledge of survival in time to come, will be this article, will be called Newsies or Weekers by those with better skills? I would imagine they would stick out like a sore thumb at the end of the world...

"Hey, Janice, Honey... Can you tell me again what it says at the bottom of page four? This damp ass stick won't burn, I think I'm doin' it wrong !"

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

"Hey, Janice, Honey... Can you tell me again what it says at the bottom of page four? This damp ass stick won't burn, I think I'm doin' it wrong !"

Now there's a scary thought... funny, but scary.

How many people are going to buy this magazine, read through it, and think they've now got all the skills they need to survive the end of the world ?

On one hand I empathize with people who don't have basic life skills under their belt, but on the other hand you can't help from smacking them upside the head and say, "Use your grey matter man!".

Skills need to be learned, practiced, and perfected.

The game has never been "give the people what they want".

It has always been "make them think you have given them what they want".

Agreed, it's always been a game of smoke and mirrors. Just enough to keep the masses at bay and under control.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bleeeeep

They're cashing in on several subcultures' methodology because their correlation (separation from “the system”) has become somewhat of a trending meme (due to the growing changes in “the system” and how it is viewed).

I think the only thing they’re trying to say is: “We have made these pictures, and the words next to them, expressive of concepts that might be desirable or intriguing to you. We have done so because we want to sell you the image of your desires. That is, we want your money and we made this magazine to trade to you for your money: please buy it.”

It is kind of silly when you break it down like that, isn’t it? But that’s what it is.

That made me chuckle.

It's almost like they're saying, "We made this special issue just for you because we care about you and your well being. Buy our magazine and we'll teach you everything you need to know in the event of an apocalypse. We are your friend."

Oh the insanity of it all...

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Dang over-sensitive mouse button...
edit on 10-2-2015 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I thumbed through it the other day. For $10, it looks to be a pretty good read. I pointed it out as good to stick in a Valentine's Day bag, hehe...

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I actually did get this issue, and it's a pretty good read. While some of it isn't really useful, there's enough in there that is, to be worth a few bucks. I especially liked the idea in the Secret Survival Garden article (and there's a free ebook available for it). Having a food garden that just looks like overgrowth from the road is pretty cool. There were a few other novel ideas or tips in there too, that were pretty good, so worth picking up.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join