It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newsweek Magazine Special Edition - Off Grid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
So here I am sitting at my desk surfing ATS, and in walks hubby from his trip to the store just a few minutes ago... he plops this magazine on my desk in front of me (laughing his ass off) and says, "Here honey, I saw this on the magazine rack and thought of you right away."

Yes, I'm the 'survivalist freak' in the family...

What the hell ?

Newsweek dedicates an entire special edition to surviving off the grid ??

What's up with that ??

I haven't read through it yet (I'll save that for later tonight during my jammie-couch time), but just quickly glancing through it, there seems to be some pretty interesting articles in it:

- Helter Shelter: constructing various shelters
- The Quest for Fire: a primer on creating and sustaining a campfire
- 7 Things I Learned From The Bedouins
- Human(ure) Energy: harnessing the power of poo
- Best Animal Sidekicks: a species breakdown of man's best friend for going off grid
- Nature's Medicine: garden's emergency remedies
- What's in Your Bug-Out Bag ?
- 20 Basics From The Boy Scouts Handbook
- Finding Safe Water
- 16 Life-saving Special Ops Tips
- Prepping For Doomsday

and a ton of other articles.

This actually looks a little promising ! Can't wait to dive into it later on tonight.

But I have to ask... what is up with this ?
Is Newsweek trying to tell us something ?
Or are they just jumping on the bandwagon with everyone else ?

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
They've jumped on the bandwagon because something definitely is up. Whatever it is, it will affect every aspect of our lives and the people in charge, manipulating the media through well-placed individuals in these companies have known about it and are very well prepared.

Something's up, this year, next year, five years from now I don't know. But it is like they want people to prepare, even if they desire a high death toll to "reset" everything.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

What I don't understand is if they're trying to tell us something, then why are governments and politicians trying to take it all away from us in terms of what and where we can garden, self-sustaining energy needs, how much food supply we can have in our pantries, etc.

And claiming us all to be nutjobs and falling into the same category as potential 'terrorists' ?

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Seems like it's a game and a distraction rolled into one.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Ha. Cool that he got that for you. Living off the grid is big money and on a lot of minds. And even though I can't quite yet, it's exactly why I wear boots and take a BOB everywhere, all the time.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

It does, doesn't it.

Nothing like keeping the masses' heads spinning not knowing whether they're coming or going.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

LOL

Nothing wrong with being a little paranoid.

And besides, you can't beat a damn good pair of comfy footwear... you just never know when you might have to run for your life.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Oh I think something's going to happen, something major. But the point is, they keep people confused, and thus most will be caught off guard when the bad stuff occurs.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

CranialSponge,

It seems to me that this merely fits with the fact that there has been an awful lot of attention paid to survival of late, and plenty of fear to go around as well. While I doubt that Newsweek's effort to spread this information has anything to do with any particular future event, or indeed any particular prior one, there has been a steady increase in interest in these matters over the last few years.

The popularity of computer games and films involving aspects of survivalist principles has been pretty constant over the last five to ten years. The Book of Eli, The Road, and other films and television shows, not to mention the constant concern over bank crashes, and the fact that there are tent cities springing up in America as we speak, mean that this sort of information is current and interesting to many people.

It is also arguable that this could be an attempt on the part of mainstream media, to bring people who have escaped from its toxic appendages back into contact with its foul tendrils. No one is more likely to have escaped the mainstream media than a survivalist after all.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Sales propaganda... makes sense.

When you see a fad, what's the capitalist thing to do ?

Why, make a special edition issue of course !

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Never let an (impending) crisis go to waste.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Looks like a great issue! I think the off grid trend and movement is growing. I read some stats which I can't remember but it said something like 500,000 people live off grid in the usa. Sorry I don't have a link or even know if that is true but that seems like a huge number. I know even some of the wealthier people are putting on solar panels and things like that. Not going totally off grid but make some transitions to conserve energy.

I think going off grid is the one and only way to say # you to the governement. Just pay your minimum taxes and live minimally. Let everything collapse while you are in peace.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I imagine this particular issue is going to sell like hotcakes.

I have to give credit to the media monkeys pounding away on their keyboards... they know what sells, and when to sell it.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

I just might stick this issue into my bug-out bag... if nothing else, it'll make for some great TP when the Charmin runs out.

(after I read it of course)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the tip I'll see if I can find it over seas.

Ill never say no to learning more.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

I think going off grid is the one and only way to say # you to the governement. Just pay your minimum taxes and live minimally. Let everything collapse while you are in peace.

I agree.

The key words being "live minimally".

It's the only way to stay ahead of the game. Even if a person can't move into the bush and live completely off the grid, the next best thing is to live below your means, get out of debt as fast as can, and once you've done that, then come up with ways to provide yourself with some form of heat source, self-sustaining water source, and a means to feed one's self... at bare minimum to 'ride out the storm' per se.

Most of those things can be done on the cheap.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Well most certainly buying isn't rebelling. If one is sticking it to the man I don't think buying a copy of Newsweek is productive "rebelling".

"Going off the grid is imperative to our well being. For just four bucks you can learn what it's like to be off the grid and we'll tell you where you can buy this stuff for cold hard cash!"

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Thanks for the tip I'll see if I can find it over seas.

Ill never say no to learning more.

Well, to be honest... I wouldn't advise anyone to run out and buy the magazine (that's just feeding the monster) because most of this info is easily found for free on the internet anyways.

Youtube videos are worth their weight in gold on this particular subject, as well as some great survivalist blogs and forums out there... not to mention all the great info right here on ATS in this very forum.

Don't be afraid to explore that wonderful world wide web... it's all out there for the taking !

Here's a few links to get you started:

Wilderness Survival
1001 Survivalist Guides
Survival and Preparedness on a Budget

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Well most certainly buying isn't rebelling. If one is sticking it to the man I don't think buying a copy of Newsweek is productive "rebelling".

"Going off the grid is imperative to our well being. For just four bucks you can learn what it's like to be off the grid and we'll tell you where you can buy this stuff for cold hard cash!"

Well...

In my own defense, it was my hubby who got suckered into plucking the magazine off the rack, not me.

No doubt he just bought it for poops and giggles anyways (he has a twisted dry sense of humour).

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

They want everyone who can read to prepare. People who do not search to keep track with what is up in the world may be considered useless. They slip stuff like this into your media for the elite of the rest of humanity to gear up.
I pretty much secretly believe they just want to kill off all the stupid people, and leave those with intelligence to restart the earth. Its like humanities way of self depopulation of the unwanted.

I have no proof, no sources, this is strictly my opinion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join