It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samsung Smart TV Voice Recognition Privacy Policy Reads Like George Orwell's '1984'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Tech giant Samsung has warned customers against discussing personal or sensitive information in front of its voice-activated televisions.

“You can control your SmartTV, and use many of its features, with voice commands. If you enable Voice Recognition, you can interact with your Smart TV using your voice. To provide you the Voice Recognition feature, some voice commands may be transmitted (along with information about your device, including device identifiers) to a third-party service that converts speech to text or to the extent necessary to provide the Voice Recognition features to you.
In addition, Samsung may collect and your device may capture voice commands and associated texts so that we can provide you with Voice Recognition features and evaluate and improve the features. Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition.”

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

So, you do voice training for the tv recognition, and that info goes to a server and back, but also Samsung, collects data for evaluation, all well and good I suppose in the right hands, but what happen when the day comes that secret services demand that info from the server/s the same as they are doing now.....potentially on anybody? Yes, 1984. I have a voice trainer in my car, I haven't bothered with it yet, but it seems the same, or similar methods are employed, so we all, need to talk in whispers now!

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
Samsung Thread

Didn't see that in search, and different titles, never mind.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Privacy will just be a fancy name in the future.. We want this tech so bad that we are willing to give up privacy . The new name will be transparency, if you don't have any thing to hide then why worry about privacy? In about hundred years from now your thoughts will be out there too...

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

Then they ostracize those who value that archaic nonsense known as privacy. What a horrible world our children will inherit...

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme
its just a programmed evolution of the Techies, and we fall for it!

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

This idea actually surfaced a few years ago, before the Xbox One came out. Bill Gates wanted to make the new MS game console a "living room center piece" that would always be On. The fan gamers rebelled - they just wanted a game console - and the idea was revamped before the console hit the market.

The part I don't get, is why this idea of an "always On" living room set-piece is being pushed so hard. Most of us sit in our living rooms to watch TV, drink and eat. Not discuss politics or argue conspiracies. So here's my short-list of possible reasons:

1) Compressing all the meta-data into more usable form for advertisers. Families in this or that income bracket and aged kids, watch this or that each night. Instead of trying to analyze each family member's computer-tracking.

2) As raw data for surveillance agencies, they must have robo-surveillance that sorts thru all that bibble-babble in the average living room, looking for key words or phrases to indicate possible criminal activities.

3) As a social service, maybe people who are suicidal, or kids who are being abused could be saved - if the data was interpreted correctly and in time.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MKMoniker

I think it's just surveillance. They'll do anything to enter someone's home (and already have through various means), this isn't a surprise honestly.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

That used to be my attitude: If I'm not doing anything illegal (or plotting same) I don't care who is watching.

Then I came across an explanation of troll-type people - who are basically psycho-sadists and love tormenting even total strangers:

www.psychologytoday.com...
INTERNET TROLLS ARE NARCISSISTS, PSYCHOPATHS, SADISTS AND MANIPULATING/MEDDLING SICKOS

These twisted sorts I do NOT want watching me - EVER! But, gosh darn it, the government doesn't send out surveys for your choice of watchers (and I'm sure Brad Pitt look-alikes are over-subscribed anyway). And any hobby shop can probably sell electronic equipment to the above whackos to "tap into" someone's in-home surveillance.

So now I guess we wait for the laws to catch up to the crimes - as usual.

edit on 9-2-2015 by MKMoniker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MKMoniker

I read that when it came out. Explains a lot, you can literally sense it from them. They sow discord for fun. Though I'm sure there's plenty of people like them who are employed with watching, I'm sure there's also others who are much different but tasked the same.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

And I still say the most powerful emotion is neither Love nor Hate - it's Jealousy.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

Tech giant Samsung has warned customers against discussing personal or sensitive information in front of its voice-activated televisions.

“You can control your SmartTV, and use many of its features, with voice commands. If you enable Voice Recognition, you can interact with your Smart TV using your voice. To provide you the Voice Recognition feature, some voice commands may be transmitted (along with information about your device, including device identifiers) to a third-party service that converts speech to text or to the extent necessary to provide the Voice Recognition features to you.
In addition, Samsung may collect and your device may capture voice commands and associated texts so that we can provide you with Voice Recognition features and evaluate and improve the features. Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition.”

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

So, you do voice training for the tv recognition, and that info goes to a server and back, but also Samsung, collects data for evaluation, all well and good I suppose in the right hands, but what happen when the day comes that secret services demand that info from the server/s the same as they are doing now.....potentially on anybody? Yes, 1984. I have a voice trainer in my car, I haven't bothered with it yet, but it seems the same, or similar methods are employed, so we all, need to talk in whispers now!

All I can say is OMG. OMG.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
Privacy will just be a fancy name in the future.. We want this tech so bad that we are willing to give up privacy . The new name will be transparency, if you don't have any thing to hide then why worry about privacy? In about hundred years from now your thoughts will be out there too...

That's already the new name, BBC trots that out on a regular basis in their ads for the papers review in the quiet moments of their news only channel. There is also the curious allegiance between Sky news and the BBC, why are they planet sharing the news? I pay for the BBC licence because I must, I don't want that allegiance.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: MKMoniker

This idea actually surfaced a few years ago, before the Xbox One came out. Bill Gates wanted to make the new MS game console a "living room center piece" that would always be On. The fan gamers rebelled - they just wanted a game console - and the idea was revamped before the console hit the market.

The part I don't get, is why this idea of an "always On" living room set-piece is being pushed so hard. Most of us sit in our living rooms to watch TV, drink and eat. Not discuss politics or argue conspiracies. So here's my short-list of possible reasons:

1) Compressing all the meta-data into more usable form for advertisers. Families in this or that income bracket and aged kids, watch this or that each night. Instead of trying to analyze each family member's computer-tracking.

2) As raw data for surveillance agencies, they must have robo-surveillance that sorts thru all that bibble-babble in the average living room, looking for key words or phrases to indicate possible criminal activities.

3) As a social service, maybe people who are suicidal, or kids who are being abused could be saved - if the data was interpreted correctly and in time.

Maybe number two, raw data.. but who or what does the analysis belonging to numbers One and three, and remember that data transferred and breached/hacked is..illegal!

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Spooky. But at least SOMETHING will be listening to me while the TV is on. The husband ignores me completely if there's anything on the dang thing, even commercials he's seen for the 105,000th time.

top topics

join