It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monopoly is being sold with real money inside

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Just spotted this article.

Toymaker Hasbro is celebrating the 80th anniversary of Monopoly's introduction in France by replacing the fake money in 80 sets with real cash. The sets will be distributed among 30,000 specially branded editions of the game, with only one of these replacing every note on the board with real money (a total windfall of €20,580 or $23,348). Ten additional sets will contain €300 ($340) in twenties, fifties, and a single €100 bill while 69 other sets will offer €150 ($170) in tens and twenties. "We wanted to do something unique," brand manager Florence Gaillard told the AFP. "When we asked our French customers, they told us they wanted to find real money in their Monopoly boxes."
THE SETS CONTAINING REAL MONEY ARE SLIGHTLY THICKER THAN NORMAL BUT WEIGH THE SAME

Hasbro says that although there's no difference in weight between the normal sets and those with real money, the Euros do make the boxes slightly thicker — a dropped detail that sounds like a bit of a ploy to encourage French shoppers to try and sniff out the sets. Gaillard adds that the operation to stock the sets with real money was carried out in secret, with the company employing a bailiff to handle and count the notes. "When they asked me, I was giddy as a child," the bailiff told the AFP, proving that even for adults, the lure of a real-money Monopoly set might be too much to handle.

www.theverge.com...
edit on 9-2-2015 by IndependentOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

I wonder why only in France..

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

First line:

Toymaker Hasbro is celebrating the 80th anniversary of Monopoly's introduction in France...

Monopoly dates to 1903 in the United States.

edit on 9-2-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Well move me into Boardwalk and get me out of jail free, they are trying to go all 'Willy Wonka' on the world. Except the price of these sets is a littttttle more than the price of a candy bar. A good marketing move by some yuppie in a corner office, although if you really want to get the people jumping pop in a few hot wives in 'The Game of Life', or eight slaves, two bloodlusting priests, and an all powerful tall beautiful lady in a few games of chess. That'll drive the profits for the next month or so.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: OpinionatedB

First line:

Toymaker Hasbro is celebrating the 80th anniversary of Monopoly's introduction in France...

Monopoly dates to 1903 in the United States.

Isn't that about the time Teddy Roosevelt was breaking up monopolies? The irony.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Funny how there is not that much of a difference between monopoly-money and "real"-money anymore.

Or between the rules of the game and our current form of pseudo-capitalism for that matter. (See: what happens when the bank runs out of money...)

edit on 9-2-2015 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Anyone got a vernier to lend me i feel like crossing the border and search for a french Toys "R" Us
edit on 9-2-2015 by Indigent because: Im broke

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

lol.. I should have given that some thought.. thanks

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

that still won't save the Eurozone from Greece's default...

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

There was a version developed in the "United States" in the early 1900's but it wasn't "Monopoly" yet. It was a different game at that time.

Kind of think of how Pepsi didn't invent the soda, they are just a form of soda with it's own tweaks. But if you say "Where was Pepsi first introduced?" you wouldn't be speaking of where soda was first introduced, but where the brand Pepsi was.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

The Landlords Game was patented in 1904 and various, self published, editions were sold around the world prior to Parker Brothers buying the rights in the 1930's.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I want to be the banker

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Yes but again it wasn't "Monopoly" yet.

Looked different and had a few differences in the way it was played. Was a predecessor but not "Monopoly".

For instance, the original patent didn't include monopoly groups based on the property. This is one of those things I read up on during a late Google night binge. I think this is the one and only instance I will ever use this information in a conversation.

landlordsgame.info...

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I sure hope they give you the Monopoly money too, otherwards the game is kind of useless.

When the Economies collapse, we can make Monopoly money valuable.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I feel sorry for the stores selling this game. The number of purchases followed by refunds on the returned non winning items.................

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

I feel sorry for the stores selling this game. The number of purchases followed by refunds on the returned non winning items.................

They don't have to honer the return. A game store I worked with had a sign all sales finale on board games. Because believe it or not there are people who collect items from the games. Tokens for moving and such, some times they are looking for errors in the cards, so we started the all sales finale type of deal in the store and it did not effect sales but you would see some people buying 2 or 3 copies of a game. then head over to "St Vini's or Goodwill " to see that they were donated missing piece they get some money back with tax write off.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: EvilBat

Sure they can deny a return.. I am just saying I can see this occurring.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
wonder if the shortcomings of EU's fiscal policy made this marketing idea any more attractive

2nd

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
That is awesome! Wish I lived in France!

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

Me too!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join