It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heroic dog fighting for her life after trying to save owner from house fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The dog was found covering his owners face as the place burned

A dog that risked its life trying to save its owner from a deadly blaze is recovering.

Carmen, a 9-year-old boxer, was found covering her owner's face as the residential fire burned.

It's still unclear what started the fire at the house in Ohio's Goshen Township.

KTLA reports that Ben Ledford, 33, did not survive despite the dog's heroism.

'A lot of dogs instinctively know when there’s a crisis going on and so a lot of them do go try to protect their owners,' said veterinarian Dr. Marlo Anderson.

WCPO reports that Carmen remains in critical condition at the Seven Hills Pet Clinic.

There she rests in an oxygen chamber where vets feed her fluids intravenously.

She can stand but has difficulty breathing on her own.

It will be at least 24 hours before they can determine Carmen's chances of recovery.

Authorities are focusing their investigation on the basement to find the fire's cause.

Poor thing. I really hope she makes it. She tried so very hard. I don't know much about vet care, so I hope that she can move around is a good sign. I love that they're doing all that they can for her instead of just giving up on her immediately. My prayers go out to this brave warrior!

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
The worst part is, if she recovers, she may be permanently heart broken without Ben.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
It is a good sign that she can stand on her own...shows she is still fighting for life.

I am praying for Carmen and that she will find another happy home.

What a loyal pup. So sad.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Missmissie173
It is a good sign that she can stand on her own...shows she is still fighting for life.

I am praying for Carmen and that she will find another happy home.

What a loyal pup. So sad.

I thought that it was.

Now to get her breathing on her own.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
No matter what happens now the story has a sad ending.

Great example of animals being selfless and if you dont have one for the joy and companionship its stories like this that should convince you to get one just to have someone else to watch your back.

All said and done though I wish we could just have this place as a happy feelgood type forum free from animal cruelty and tragedy.

1st and last S&F for a non happy thread on this forum given exclusively because its the only way I can pay some form of tribute to the dog

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
An UPDATE on Hero dog Carmen.

Carmen the 9-year-old boxer that has been praised for her heroism during a deadly house fire in Ohio is showing signs of improvement.

The pooch who was found covering her owner Ben Ledford's face as his home in Goshen Township burned last Thursday, today was taken off the ventilator and was breathing on her own.

Carmen was rushed in critical condition to CARE Center veterinary clinic in Cincinnati last week suffering from severe damage to her lungs cause by smoke inhalation.

'A lot of dogs instinctively know when there’s a crisis going on and so a lot of them do go try to protect their owners,' said veterinarian Dr. Marlo Anderson.

After a weekend spent in an oxygen chamber being fed fluids intravenously, the hulking canine began to turn the corner Monday.

On Tuesday morning, the team at CARE Center posted an update on their Facebook page sharing the good news that Carman was taken off the ventilator and her vital signs were holding steady.

The 9-year-old dog is currently getting oxygen through a nasal tube and is starting to wake up from the sedative drugs.

The critical care staff were expecting to see Carman up fully awake and moving around by Wednesday.

Once Carmen recovers, her owner's brother, Philip Ledford, plans to adopt her.

Emily Leford, Ben and Philip’s sister, said her late brother had a very special relationship with his pet.

‘There was nothing in this world that Ben loved more than Carmen and there was nothing that Carmen loved more than Ben,’ she told the site.

I'm glad to see she's getting better. Hopefully she'll be home soon and can work on healing emotionally. Being with his family can help in that area, I'm sure.

new topics

top topics

join