It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeannette teen, charged with killing another, took 'selfie' with the body

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

A Jeannette teenager fatally shot a 16-year-old classmate in the face and took a picture with the body, which police used to charge him with the killing, according to court papers.

Maxwell Marion Morton, 16, is being held without bail in the Westmoreland County juvenile detention center on charges of first-degree murder, homicide and possession of a firearm by a minor in connection with the death of Ryan Mangan.

Morton, who was arraigned Friday, is charged as an adult.

“I've never seen it before,” Peck said, “but it was a key piece of evidence that led investigators to the defendant.”

A preliminary hearing for Morton is scheduled for Feb. 19.

Jeannette teen, charged with killing another, took 'selfie' with the body

This actually happened here in my town. As of right now it is massive news because the most that happens is pot arrests. That's about it. It's a town of about 4000 people. The sidewalks roll up on Sunday, so when I say nothing happens in these tiny towns, NOTHING happens. The worst, you get pulled over driving through.

Right now, this is ALL people are talking about. I don't know if it was bullying, the kid was mental, what the deal was. I guess we'll learn more in the coming days. Because of the sensationalism with SnapChat, there's talk it will hit mainstream.

This kid is a piece of work!

Serious piece of work this kid

On Thursday, a woman told police her son had a copy of a Snapchat photo sent from the accused. Jeannette Sgt. Donald Johnston saw the photo, depicting the wounded victim in the chair as found by his mother. It also depicted a young man taking a “selfie” with the victim in the background. The photo had the name “MAXWELL” across the top and the young man was identified by Sgt. Johnston as Maxwell Morton.

The woman also said her son received messages from Maxwell, stating, “Told you I cleaned up the shells” and “Ryan was not the last one.” The investigating officers said the photo depicts the victim as he was found at the crime scene.

After a search warrant was served at Morton’s home, a 9 mm handgun was found in the basement under the steps. Police said after being advised of his rights with his parents present, the young man confessed to using that gun to shoot Ryan Mangan, “leaving the victim dead in his room.”

Just cold inside.

FTA

“This is really a question about criminal pathology rather than technology,” said Pamela Rutledge, director of the Media Psychology Research Center and a psychology and social media instructor at Fielding Graduate University in Santa Barbara, Calif. “Perpetrators in need of validating their power and sense of self-importance have used all kinds of communications to ‘brag' about criminal activities — from the local hangout to social media, like Facebook.”

Rutledge made her comments in general, saying she did not know enough about the situation in Jeannette to address it specifically.

Really makes you wonder what makes a kid go so cold and dead.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

The youth of today are just not right, I always wondered if lots of the problems with the kids today is a result from their parents taking doctor prescribed feel good pills.

Now I understand why the teachers in Texas want protection.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Psychopaths have always existed. There's over 7 billion people here on the planet, more now than ever, and more easy to spread info than ever. All that's changed.

Let's assume .5% are born psychopaths. That's 35 million cold blooded animals with human flesh, and yes... they were all kids at once (many still are).

originally posted by: Anyafaj

Really makes you wonder what makes a kid go so cold and dead.

I bring up primary psychopathy, even though it could be secondary for a reason. Lots of people have issue thinking people can be born with such tendencies, no bad parenting. I see no good reason to assume this.

Intraspecies predators happen in other species, and they happen in our own. It's just a different strategy which is successful when the numbers stay low enough. I think the trick is to mold these people wisely. If you have a fascination for flames, and low arousal, be a pyrotech, firefighter, military guy... something like that. If you have a thirst for blood and fighting, military, martial arts... call it out, and channel it to pro-social means. Don't let them go un-noticed for too long, but don't push them entirely out of society before they can be properly molded.
edit on 8-2-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
It's not that he's cold and dead per se.
It's more that a lot of young people today have a very real "disconnect" from reality. It's partly our cultures fault, partly technology fault, partly our prescriptions fault, but regardless, the line between fantasy and reality is blurred now more than ever.
I have a feeling that after three weeks behind bars reality will sink in and we will see a very different side of maxwell.

edit on 8-2-2015 by riffraff because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: riffraff
It's not that he's cold and dead per se.
It's more that a lot of young people today have a very real "disconnect" from reality.
I have a feeling that after three weeks behind bars reality will sink in and we will see a very different side of maxwell.

Certainly possible. One can only hope.

This kid needs a serious "come to Jesus" moment as some of my friends in the South would say.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Edit: Derp, I accidentally deleted my response to the OP.

This kid is just pure evil. Whether by nature or nurture is up for debate, but thank god he's caught & not free to do this time & again. He well could have killed more if he hadn't been stupid enough to incriminate himself afterward.

originally posted by: thesaneone

The youth of today are just not right, I always wondered if lots of the problems with the kids today is a result from their parents taking doctor prescribed feel good pills.

Part of it. I think another massive problem is the absent parent plague, by which we're putting more emphasis on both overworking the single parents & the couples to the bone while the kids are left solo to their own devices (metaphorically & literally) I don't remember when I was a kid very many kids with parents working much later than 5 or 6 in the evening, not even the ones in divorced families. These days, it's the normal thing just to keep basic utilities paid.
edit on 2/8/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Probably just standing his ground.
2nd.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

It's not the kids, it's the society they grow up in.

The end quote pretty much sums it up as well? Psychopaths have always found a way to brag in order to validate themselves, why put this on "youth of today"? It seems this is a rare case, wouldn't you agree? Besides, there was an earlier case last year of an adult man who killed his partner to leave the body for her child to find, he too posted pictures of the body on social media.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shakawkaw
Probably just standing his ground.
2nd.

Hahahaha!! Your timing for comedy is brilliant!! And I'm serious, not sarcastic.
Just enough time had passed that we forgot that line, but not so much that we didn't get it.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I can't disagree with that, there are so many factors to consider.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Strawberry88

It's not the kids, it's the society they grow up in.

The end quote pretty much sums it up as well? Psychopaths have always found a way to brag in order to validate themselves, why put this on "youth of today"? It seems this is a rare case, wouldn't you agree? Besides, there was an earlier case last year of an adult man who killed his partner to leave the body for her child to find, he too posted pictures of the body on social media.

I remember that case.

Poor kids! Can you imagine the therapy bills for them!

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Strawberry88

It's still the kids we all know right from wrong and can't just blame society.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Okay, so as a woman how would you feel if I said more women should stay at home, not focus on career, and instead do what their instincts are a better fit for... be a mother around the house?

Is this offensive? I'm curious.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I think a stay at home mom or dad is a full time career.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Agreed.

To answer my own post, I think either parent at the house is better than no parent, and a healthy mixture of both sexes is ideal (sure I'm gonna get bashed over that, I don't care).

You could of course have ways in which the mom AND dad could be at home parents and work their careers mostly or entirely from the house. Not stuck being traditional just cause, but instincts are rather slow to change.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

You could of course have ways in which the mom AND dad could be at home parents and work their careers mostly or entirely from the house.

With the Internet im surprised more people haven't taken advantage of it.

My wife still works for a company in illinois from our house in Arizona plus we have a ebay and Amazon store, a little money and some common sense with a tad bit of patience anyone can do it.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Sounds good

I do gigs from the house, and bike to my job or store. I keep wondering why so many still find the need for an automobile. The tech affords so much, and yet we're in some ways very slow to adapt. I get to save a ton of monies not dealing with insurance, maintenance, car note, and so forth. Goes into savings for larger projects.

Didn't mean to derail the thread, I'm out.. . .

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
In the words of the Immortal Bugs Bunny: "What a maroon".

Hope that selfie was worth it. It's gonna land him in jail for the rest of his life..... Kids these days are so bloody stupid...

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

It's still the kids we all know right from wrong and can't just blame society.

Obviously "we" don't or people wouldn't be in jail

You are sane, you can't imagine what drives people to murder, it sure as hell isn't being normal like yourself, but that probably never crosses your mind, just like murder doesn't. We should be happy we can handle our struggles in a sane manner, and should offer help to those that can't, before it is too late.

I'm not going to go into it again, since if I recall correctly you were the one who called me out for it, but do you know what role child abuse plays in mental illness and criminality in adult life?

You make things too easy when you say "society can't be blamed", heck yes it can.

Domestic violence et al are still daily routine in most of the "civilized" Western world. There is not a single psychologist who will deny the fact that most every criminal has had a troubled childhood, often involving domestic abuse.

And the ones that were abused but grew up just fine? They are the lucky ones, not the standard. Childhood abuse and brain development are CLEARLY linked.

Society is fully to blame for turning a blind eye.
edit on 9-2-2015 by Strawberry88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

There's a difference between knowing, and caring, or being able to control your impulses.

Everyone who isn't living in a dungeon knows right from wrong (variation exists!).

Oh, and for the dungeon dwellers out there.. really? I didn't mean you, LOL!

originally posted by: Strawberry88

Domestic violence et al are still daily routine in most of the "civilized" Western world. There is not a single psychologist who will deny the fact that most every criminal has had a troubled childhood, often involving domestic abuse.

That's absolutely false, and totally ignorant.
edit on 9-2-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join