It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a safe cheap country to live in?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
As has been mentioned: Thailand would be a definite. Or Cambodia.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Before committing funds to purchase property abroad, do some serious research on local property and land rights and laws. As an ex-pat or foreign national, falling foul of the rules or in times of crisis, local laws could result in your property being requisitioned, with only a cursory nod at compensation.

You mention safety and then go on to reveal this is mainly about fear of crime. What about the natural world? Weather patterns and wildlife? I think nowhere is 100% 'safe'. Danger and risk are very real and probably important aspects of life in any country. For example, Iceland is a 'safe' place; low crime levels, an improving economy with low energy costs because the entire country is little more than an active volcano that can erupt at any time!

Somebody mentioned Ethiopia. Sounds good but according to Water Org,

water.org...
prone to drought and famine.

All I am saying is, the grass is not always greener and before committing resources, making a permanent move needs to be carefully planned.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Well first I'd say stay in the UK and move down to the SW coast of England where I live, specifically the Devon & Cornwall police area as our cops are chilled. I've done my share moving around the UK and it ticks all the boxes for me, warmer (I haven't seen frost for two years now) rural countryside, beautiful beaches, low crime and mostly laid back population.
Summer is always fun with millions of people on holiday here, but a lot of work is seasonal and minimum wage if you have no trade or skill.
If you lose your job though, I know one thing, it's much nicer to get Jobseekers Allowance and your rent paid by Housing Benefit with a sea view than some concrete jungle estate in a major city.

Another thought, stay in the EU, or EU alligned territory, no visa's, free to work etc. Canary Islands? Grab a tent and enough cash to survive a few weeks in the Summer to work the bars? A mate of mine did that last year and hasn't come back yet, jammy bastard lol.

Have you looked into Overseas departments and territories of France? I haven't checked the fine points but they are considered legally as part of the French republic so travel/residency rules 'may' be the same as the rest of the EU.

The French Overseas Departments and Territories include island territories in the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans, and French Guiana on the South American continent
...again, some warm places under French law, just need to learn the language and it could be as simple as rocking up with a tent and a few Euro's to keep you going until you find some minimum wage work.

Either way, if you have the urge to roam I say do it every time or regret things in later life. What's the worst that can happen, you end up skint, it all fails and you end up back in Britain to start again? At least you tried, and it's always an adventure.

I've spent a couple of years travelling in my life, have paused to be 'dad' over the last 20 years, but I'm already planning on roaming again now that I am again 'free' to do it.
I'll be looking into the French territories myself as I am learning the language again, and if I can just move under some EU exemption to a tropical island in the next year or two then that's my plan.
Good luck with yours!

*Edit*
Just checked, and it does look like as an EU/UK citizen we can in fact move for 'long stay' with no visa or entry requirements except our passports:
Foreign nationals holding ordinary passports exempt from visa requirements
Reunion Island, Martinique, Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, French Polynesia, New Caledonia, Mayotte, French Southern and Antarctic Territories, Saint Martin, Saint Barthélemy.

Woohoo! I like Britain being part of the European Union now

edit on 9.2.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Thailand is cheap, I've spent the last 6 months here and I'm a 21 year old English bloke.

Last month I spent £352 I worked It out to be, that's everything food, housing and transport.

I'm not working here though, but I know of many people who do! They work here earn good money and live cheaply, worth a look into it.
edit on 13-2-2015 by Nodwander because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nodwander
Thailand is cheap, I've spent the last 6 months here and I'm a 21 year old English bloke.

Don't forget to mention the need to hop the border for 5 minutes every 30 days if you don't have a long stay visa.
I've done it lot's of times, have you ever noticed the lack of cats on the Thai border towns but loads of scabby dogs, but on the Malaysian side not a dog in sight and loads of cats mooching around lol.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: toxicspikes

Belgium ... You know, the place where you, UK people, come from time to time for the cheap booze ...

edit on 13-2-2015 by theultimatebelgianjoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Haha! Now to come to mention it it is something I've seen, I've only left the country once since arriving here and not done any "visa runs" just tourist visas 60 day stay and then a trip to immigration for an extra 30 days! a reply to: grainofsand

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Thailand is cheap and quite safe, I guess

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: toxicspikes

Everywhere in Indonesia's cheap, and there're many variety of lifestyle to pick from. If you like exotic place, you can stay in Bali, Bali's a foreigner friendly place, they love foreigners cos they know tourism is Bali's fuel, and tradition's still very strong in locals life. If you want to live in the city with nearby facilities, you can stay in Bekasi, which is near Jakarta but life cost's still cheaper.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join