It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biblical Reasons Why Christians Might Feel Impelled To Evangelize.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
a reply to: Tangerine

I guess it's pretty hard to understand that the deaths and slaughter authorized by God only applied before Jesus came to the earth, after that all religious wars are on man and his vengeance was never from God or wanted by God.

I can see a person not understanding that.

I guess it's pretty hard for you to understand when the Crusades took place.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Not at all

Historians consider that between 1096 and 1291 there were seven major Crusades and numerous minor ones

Long after Jesus and his apostles left the scene and the church was corrupted by war mongering fools.
edit on 11-2-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Not at all

Historians consider that between 1096 and 1291 there were seven major Crusades and numerous minor ones

Long after Jesus and his apostles left the scene and the church was corrupted by war mongering fools.

Jesus was likely never on the scene. I leave you to your rich fantasy life.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Actually you would be in the minority on that one, even non-religious people admit it....

three passages in non-Christian works have been used to support the historicity of Jesus: two in the writings of the Jewish historian Josephus, and one from the Roman historian Tacitus.

There is near unanimity among scholars that Jesus existed historically, although biblical scholars differ about the beliefs and teachings of Jesus as well as the accuracy of the details of his life that have been described in the Gospels

Maybe spend some time studying those non-Christian historical books(by Tacitus & Josephus), you might learn something.

Like Jesus really did exist historically.

edit on 12-2-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Actually you would be in the minority on that one, even non-religious people admit it....

three passages in non-Christian works have been used to support the historicity of Jesus: two in the writings of the Jewish historian Josephus, and one from the Roman historian Tacitus.

There is near unanimity among scholars that Jesus existed historically, although biblical scholars differ about the beliefs and teachings of Jesus as well as the accuracy of the details of his life that have been described in the Gospels

Maybe spend some time studying those non-Christian historical books(by Tacitus & Josephus), you might learn something.

Like Jesus really did exist historically.

You mean they believe it. None of them can prove it. In 2000 years, not one person has cited one example of contemporaneous documentation proving that Jesus actually lived. Barring that, he's a mythological figure. You're like a child who so strongly wishes Santa is real that he refuses to accept that it's a story.

Your denial is so profound that you don't even grasp that people who didn't live when Jesus allegedly lived (ie. Tacitus and Josephus) could not possibly have witnessed Jesus living and, thus, could not possibly provide contemporaneous documentation proving that Jesus did live.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Of coarse you are correct neither of them lived when Jesus walked the earth, but they are the earliest non-Christian historians that have written about him.

Why are you so very quick to dismiss their writings ?

Are you scared of what you might learn ?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Of coarse you are correct neither of them lived when Jesus walked the earth, but they are the earliest non-Christian historians that have written about him.

Why are you so very quick to dismiss their writings ?

Are you scared of what you might learn ?

I want you to concentrate: it is impossible to witness someone living unless you live when they live. It's that simple (for most people).

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I never said they lived and directly saw Jesus, I just acknowledged that they are well respected historians that wrote about that era and they also lived closest to when Jesus was here.
Since you are so against the bible, I thought maybe you wouldn't be so prejudiced against secular historians, but you are. Careful your bias is sticking out for all to see.

A historian is a person who studies and writes about the past and is regarded as an authority on it. Historians are concerned with the continuous, methodical narrative and research of past events as relating to the human race; as well as the study of all history in time.

Jesus existed as man that walked the earth in the first century, who he was and what he did might be more debatable, not the part that he was never ever even here as you claimed

Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed historically, although the quest for the historical Jesus has produced little agreement on the historical reliability of the Gospels and on how closely the biblical Jesus reflects the historical Jesus. Most scholars agree that Jesus was a Jewish rabbi from Galilee who preached his message orally

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I never said they lived and directly saw Jesus, I just acknowledged that they are well respected historians that wrote about that era and they also lived closest to when Jesus was here.
Since you are so against the bible, I thought maybe you wouldn't be so prejudiced against secular historians, but you are. Careful your bias is sticking out for all to see.

A historian is a person who studies and writes about the past and is regarded as an authority on it. Historians are concerned with the continuous, methodical narrative and research of past events as relating to the human race; as well as the study of all history in time.

Jesus existed as man that walked the earth in the first century, who he was and what he did might be more debatable, not the part that he was never ever even here as you claimed

Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed historically, although the quest for the historical Jesus has produced little agreement on the historical reliability of the Gospels and on how closely the biblical Jesus reflects the historical Jesus. Most scholars agree that Jesus was a Jewish rabbi from Galilee who preached his message orally

Jesus played with the unicorns.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join