It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biblical Reasons Why Christians Might Feel Impelled To Evangelize.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Michaelfunction
Yes I did not know the story and history I had seen Jesus in movies on TV and saw churchs and saw the billboards I had been thought not to believe in God, in evoloution, my science teacher made that very clear. But I did not know a negative, or I did not have a presupposition, that I could go back to, of why I was so reactionary with such anger. a reply to: Tangerine

I'm sorry but much of that is not understandable.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
a reply to: Tangerine

imagine hordes of Muslims, Wiccans, Satanists, Hindus and atheists pounding on your door and accosting you in public.

Actually I would talk to them all, with the intent to educate myself on their belief systems, and then to perhaps share mine

It is obvious we are coming at this from 2 very different world views.

Here are more scriptures to answer your question
Acts 4: 18-20

They called Peter and John and ordered them never to teach about Jesus or even mention his name.
19Peter and John answered them, "Decide for yourselves whether God wants people to listen to you rather than to him.
20We cannot stop talking about what we've seen and heard."

Acts 5: 27-29

27 So they brought them and set them before the council (Sanhedrin). And the high priest examined them by questioning,
28 Saying, We definitely commanded and strictly charged you not to teach in or about this Name; yet here you have flooded Jerusalem with your doctrine and you intend to bring this Man’s blood upon us.
29 Then Peter and the apostles replied, We must obey God rather than men.

What I emboldened is where your right to absolute privacy ends, as per God's instructions.
It doesn't exist anyways, unless you go to a deserted island with no communications.

I think you need to learn others are always going to put things in front us that that we don't like, be it religion, atheism, politics, local civic policies, federal laws, types of entertainment, sports and the like, if our levels of tolerance don't increase we will become pretty unhappy in society in 2015. We can vehemently disagree with them, but we need to tolerate it in the aspect of others rights to do it, to function in civilization today and going forward.

Don't waste your time posting scriptures to me. If I want to read scriptures, I'll reread the Bible. The Bible carries no more weight with me than Lord of the Rings except that the latter is more entertaining.

No, I don't need to tolerate invasions of my privacy and my right to go about my business in public and I don't. Have you considered that the pushiness of proselytizing fundamentalists and their lack of respect for others is going to backlash in a big way?

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Don't waste your time posting scriptures to me. If I want to read scriptures, I'll reread the Bible. The Bible carries no more weight with me than Lord of the Rings except that the latter is more entertaining.

Yet the title of the thread is "Biblical Reasons Why Christians Might Feel Impelled To Evangelize."

Maybe your posting in the wrong thread ?
Maybe even the wrong forum ?

Here, this is more to your tastes perhaps.....
ATS FORUM

edit on 9-2-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Yet the title of the thread is "Biblical Reasons Why Christians Might Feel Impelled To Evangelize."

Maybe your posting in the wrong thread ?
Maybe even the wrong forum ?

Here, this is more to your tastes perhaps.....
ATS FORUM

I'm aware of the title of the thread. I suppose all of us should stick strictly to quoting scripture . But you didn't do that. You talked about wanting to save people from house fires, etc.. It's interesting that Christians want to have the only forum on ATS where dissent and disagreement is not allowed. It's good that they make that clear because it gives people a preview of what life would be like in their ideal world: a theocracy.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

originally posted by: rokkuman

So many times on ATS people say I don't want to hear it. Or why do we even try ?
Yet for Christians who take the bible and Jesus words seriously, it something they feel compelled to do.

I think of proselytizing as advertisement campaign to win converts and that isnt a problem in itself because everybody has the right to promote what they believe. the problem is that christians advertise their religion dishonestly, they do so using only the nice bits of the bible and leave out the nasty bits.

you say "Jesus loves you he died for you blah blah" to portray Jesus as a nice guy but you leave out the bit about jesus ordering the deaths of those who opposed him and the "I came not to bring peace but a sword". you dont even touch upon these types of verses in your campaigns.

second christians are also extremely manipulative and play heavily on peoples emotions. saying "he died for you wont you accept him" is pure emotional blackmail 101.

Does someone have the right to pound on your door and play a recording of a commercial for a brand of soap they're selling? Does someone have a right to stop you and prevent you from going about your business in public and play a recording of a commercial for a brand of soap they're selling? I think not. It violates our rights to privacy and to go about our business freely in public.

hey no I didnt mean they have the right to show up at my doorstep. should have made that clear in my previous post.

but when they do show up I do not see it as an annoyance rather an opportunity to ask them the tough questions. see they usually approach people assuming they know nothing of the bible and think they can "score" by just throwing the nice and fluffy verses around.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

You are 100% correct, it is that theocracy we hope for, but devoid of man's religious imperfect leadership and hypocrisy, that make people like yourself dread it.
Instead lead first by the perfect Jesus Christ during his millennial reign, then after by God himself.
It's in the Lord's prayer "Let your Kingdom come" And it's in Daniel too.

Daniel 2:44

But throughout the history of these kingdoms, the God of heaven will be building a kingdom that will never be destroyed, nor will this kingdom ever fall under the domination of another. In the end it will crush the other kingdoms and finish them off and come through it all standing strong and eternal.

That Theocracy is coming, and no human can stop it, it will be the most dramatic change in government the earth will ever have.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

That Theocracy is coming, and no human can stop it, it will be the most dramatic change in government the earth will ever have.

What about these scriptures that contradict your call for "That Theocracy".

John 18:36
Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.”

John 14:2
In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Luke 17:21
Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

edit on 10-2-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

You are 100% correct, it is that theocracy we hope for, but devoid of man's religious imperfect leadership and hypocrisy, that make people like yourself dread it.
Instead lead first by the perfect Jesus Christ during his millennial reign, then after by God himself.
It's in the Lord's prayer "Let your Kingdom come" And it's in Daniel too.

Daniel 2:44

But throughout the history of these kingdoms, the God of heaven will be building a kingdom that will never be destroyed, nor will this kingdom ever fall under the domination of another. In the end it will crush the other kingdoms and finish them off and come through it all standing strong and eternal.

So you admit to being anti-democracy. I'm glad that's out in the open for all to see.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Oh I don't know. But I do know that most of society runs on an atheist perspective particularly when it comes to school, so if my rights end where yours begin ... then you should be very happy most of the time as your life is more or less free from religion.

Except secular != atheist. Schools aren't atheist, they are secular. There is NO talk of belief in gods at all in schools even to say that they don't exist.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Democracy is subject to popular opinion that can leave 49% of the population disenfranchised and sidelined.
The 2000 elections showed us just how fragile that system really is.
And for me these video's(from the 2012 election cycle), should you choose to watch them, represent the final nail in the coffin of the American democratic system, it no longer works as it was intended. They can't even agree within their own parties
I think it worked pretty good until the early 1900's. If you have been on ATS you know how democracy was highjacked by the bankers in the 1912 elections, it's been failing ever since.

If you can watch these 2 video's and still feel democracy in America is such a great success in 2015....then have fun with that going forward.

It was prophesied man's governments, even the best of the worst would fail, and now they have.
This to needs to be brought to peoples attention, if they haven't figured it out by now.
But most posters on ATS actually have, even the non-religious ones.
edit on 10-2-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

The fact that democracy is being subverted in the US/UK means you want to replace it with theocracy? Are you serious?

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Is this really a shock to you, Matthew 6:9 shows that it's a core element as to what Jesus said Christian should pray for and hope for. Again the Lord's prayer

May your Kingdom come soon. May your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.

That kingdom is a theocracy, but unlike any man made theocracy in the past, although the Jewish nation at the time of King David was close. Interestingly Jesus Christ is the legal heir to that throne, and will rule, but from heaven.

Your fear this, I look forward to it.
edit on 11-2-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Is this really a shock to you, Matthew 6:9 shows that it's a core element as to what Jesus said Christian should pray for and hope for. Again the Lord's prayer

May your Kingdom come soon. May your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.

That kingdom is a theocracy, but unlike any man made theocracy in the past, although the Jewish nation at the time of King David was close. Interestingly Jesus Christ is the legal heir to that throne, and will rule, but from heaven.

Your fear this, I look forward to it.

No, it doesn't shock me at all. It's one of the reasons I'm opposed to Christianity, among other religions. Lots of Germans and Italians looked forward to fascism--until they lived under it. Be careful about what you wish for.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Under a leadership of lunatics, proving once again that human governments fail.
Your examples are infamous and they were epic failures, especially in the end.

Why would a person fear perfect rulership from God from heaven, the only reason I can think of is that a person thinks their rights that he has today, would be taken from him. Indeed some would, but new freedoms would be extended to mankind, for example imagine 100% perfect equality for billions of people, standards of living for housing, food and clothing exactly the same for every human on earth. Sort of like they show in Star Trek on earth in the future because their civilization moved beyond the greed/money based cycle that consumes the world today and shows no signs of getting better. The 1% rich control everything, the rest next to nothing, that was never God's purpose for mankind.
And he is going to fix it.
edit on 11-2-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Under a leadership of lunatics, proving once again that human governments fail.
Your examples are infamous and they were epic failures, especially in the end.

Why would a person fear perfect rulership from God from heaven, the only reason I can think of is that a person thinks their rights that he has today, would be taken from him. Indeed some would, but new freedoms would be extended to mankind, for example imagine 100% perfect equality for billions of people, standards of living for housing, food and clothing exactly the same for every human on earth. Sort of like they show in Star Trek on earth in the future because their civilization moved beyond the greed/money based cycle that consumes the world today and shows no signs of getting better. The 1% rich control everything, the rest next to nothing, that was never God's purpose for mankind.
And he is going to fix it.

I don't find your God, as depicted in the Bible, to be very appealing. He sounds very much like a capricious monster and I certainly don't trust the judgment of people so devoid of common sense that they can't distinguish between wishful thinking and fact.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I have had this discussion with people before, they dislike the God of the "Old Testament", but there ok with Jesus.

Civilization in the past during those times was brutal and savage, for example the Philistines were in the habit of burning
down houses with entire families inside if they deemed that you did something offensive to them. The brutality of these cultures in these lands demanded justice, and it happened just the way they dealt with others. It was a different time, almost impossible for somebody living in the 21st century to understand.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I have had this discussion with people before, they dislike the God of the "Old Testament", but there ok with Jesus.

Civilization in the past during those times was brutal and savage, for example the Philistines were in the habit of burning
down houses with entire families inside if they deemed that you did something offensive to them. The brutality of these cultures in these lands demanded justice, and it happened just the way they dealt with others. It was a different time, almost impossible for somebody living in the 21st century to understand.

I'm not OK with any of your deities. You're telling me that the all-knowing, all-powerful God who "authored" the Bible was controlled by society. Christians are full of excuses. This is just one more to explain the barbarity of their religion.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Do you live in the states? Because im pretty sure there's plenty of countries where this # still goes on.
21st century enlightenment? More like delusions of grandeur.

Why would a God want to rule over a physical reality & group of bipedals?

If this global theocratic government comes into play, do you think the world will go business as usual with cars, jobs, gasoline, fast food, & entertainment?

You talk a good game about human institutions breaking down & being horribly inadequate, to which I don't disagree, but they've been waiting for a God to come & free us from such systems for a few thousand years now.

Personally, I think we are in the end times. I think humanity has no more than 50 years left in it. But I don't think it's going to end with a big rainbow explosion & jesus showing up to tell us all what's what.
edit on 11-2-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-2-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

You forgot to mention that the Christian crusaders burned an entire town of people alive.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I guess it's pretty hard to understand that the deaths and slaughter authorized by God only applied before Jesus came to the earth, after that all religious wars are on man and his vengeance was never from God or wanted by God.

I can see a person not understanding that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join