It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End of an Era: Prospects Look Bleak For Slowing the Coming Food Crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Nice information on Peak Food. I had no idea we had peaked in many of these categories.

readynutrition.com...

Peak chicken production was in 2006, while milk and wheat both peaked in 2004 and rice peaked way back in 1988, according to new research from Yale University, Michigan State University and the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research in Germany. What makes the report particularly alarming is that so many crucial sources of food have peaked in a relatively short period of history, the researchers said.

Tess Pennington
Ready Nutrition

We stand at the brink of a precipice and the choice is yours to make. Most emergencies don’t unfold slowly; unlike earthquakes or other natural disasters, we have had the benefit and the curse of watching the food crisis gradually come to light. What you choose to do with this information is critical and apathy doesn’t change the fact that immense, potentially life-threatening changes are on the way. Sooner or later our essential crops will stop producing and lifelines need to be in place. Those who are prepared are not only acting in the best interest of their families, but of society as a whole. The investments we make today will be consumed and used tomorrow—we’ve been given fair warning and now is the time to rise to the occasion.

Complete list of peak foods here:

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I think the chicken shortage is very easily fixed with the amount of people who are starting to hobby farm and others homesteading. Just in a 2 mile radius of my house there are at least a half dozen people who are now raising chickens for eggs and meat, and I can't count the number of people who now have a garden that didn't before.

The milk issue is not as easily fixed without switching to alternative milk sources like goats milk and others.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

We don't have a not enough food problem, we have a distribution problem.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I can kind of see live stock peaking, but how can crops and plants peak? There is still plenty of farm land and personal land to grow stuff.
The house I am moving into this spring has an acre of backyard, I'll be growing tons of veggies!

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
They are doing something, it's called GMO's.

Then they need to put corn back in the food chain instead of using it so soccer moms feel good at the gas pumps with their biofuel.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It's not that the foods listed are not able to be grown in larger quantities, it's that the production/transportation of these foods is artificially becoming no longer economically viable.

ie: Western Canada had it's largest wheat crop ever recently. Many (if not most) farmers are having to sit on the grain because the rail cars needed to transport it are simply either not available, or have been replaced on the tracks with cars that can transport other cargo (ie: oil).

Others (ie: poultry) are being artificially suppressed to increase the end price of it.

You can grow all the chickens you want, but you need contracts to sell them. Unfortunately, there are limited contracts being supplied to the producers.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I think hydroponics will make a main stream entry this decade.

LED lights are getting better and better.

This would likelky mean sightly more expensive food ine west but no famines.

Africa? I think they are done for. Unless they can grow up and form poliiticaly stable cou trys.

China and india im on the fence, if there economys keep growing and they sort that massive weath gao then therr food supply could go high tec.

Cloneing and 3d printing may help too with meat supply.
Itnmay never taste as good but its still better than starving.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
We don't plant as many crops as we used to. Farmers are being shoved asside for industrialized processes THAT can change back.
We can go to vertical farming ANYWHERE ,we must perfect mass desalinization of sea water that would go far to fix things. There is a food shortage because of purse strings more than conditions.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: gspat

You can grow all the chickens you want, but you need contracts to sell them. Unfortunately, there are limited contracts being supplied to the producers.

Maybe if you want to be legal and all you need contracts. In my neck of the woods, we exchange (aka barter) a lot or give away extra food stuffs. It all works out in the end. No one is taken advantage of. Selling beef is easy if it is taken to a licensed meat locker, pay your friend for the beef, pay the meat locker for the processing, still much cheaper than meat at WallyWorld and OHHH so much better. Friends who work for a pig farmer exchange their pork for my beef. I'm still thinking of getting some goats for milk and meat. Do your own fishing and gardening. Buy or build a smoker and a dehydrator. You can buy them pretty cheaply now a days.

Get smart, get independent. That way, you're not relying on the public market.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
If anything is going to affect food production, it will be a global climate change. The earth has experienced it in the past a could again.

climate.nasa.gov...

www.nature.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

originally posted by: gspat

Maybe if you want to be legal and all you need contracts. In my neck of the woods, we exchange (aka barter) a lot or give away extra food stuffs. It all works out in the end. No one is taken advantage of. Selling beef is easy if it is taken to a licensed meat locker, pay your friend for the beef, pay the meat locker for the processing, still much cheaper than meat at WallyWorld and OHHH so much better. Friends who work for a pig farmer exchange their pork for my beef. I'm still thinking of getting some goats for milk and meat. Do your own fishing and gardening. Buy or build a smoker and a dehydrator. You can buy them pretty cheaply now a days.

Get smart, get independent. That way, you're not relying on the public market.

You need a property with land for that lol plus it would be awesome if people were to take that responsibility into thier own hands sad part is people are too f-ing lazy for that im in the process of looking for property w land so i can grow my own only problem is not many properties have land in florida,.,.,.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
There will always be plenty of "long pork", just have to get those soylent green factories up and running. Might end up with the shakes though, like in "The Book of Eli".

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Heard the same stuff back in teh 70s.... mass starvation, running out of oil, food, water before the turn of the century.

Yet none of that took place. The main problem being that one cannot forecast the aid that will come from tech advances.

That being said, if something isnt done I do not doubt that food will be a huge problem, at which point America as a bread basket will do quite well.

I think our (America's) chief probem may be water. We have way too many communities that are one drought away from being totally screwed.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This is just propaganda to explain away why food will be more expensive due to tight cartels within the united states that control the majority of food production. These cartels prevent small businesses from competing with them by using government regulatory agencies to monopolize markets.

But of course they'll never admit that's the issue and will blame some type of apocalyptic scenario while agencies raid farms , steal cattle and assets, or deny licenses while giving the big guys like Tyson extra business.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
There is enough for everybody and enough land to produce it.....
The problem is that those who control production subscribe to agenda 21....

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
What they don't mention is that the amount of agricultural land is actually declining as land is converted to more profitable uses such as housing and office development, leisure and recreation or used for the generation of bio-fuels.

Africa could be the bread-basket of the world, but due to politics against commercial farmers that land is being unused.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

Use advanced mass water desalination and free up some flow to more of the west.

top topics

join