It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia opening Military Bases Inside the EU

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Shockingly an EU member state has authorized Russia's request to open 2 military bases on it's territory. Cyprus received a request in late January to open a Russian airforce base as well as a navel base. Both have been approved. Amazingly enough the navel base will be right beside the British airbase at Limassol, an important NATO signals gathering facility.

www.businessinsider.com...

Russia has a long history of economic and tourist connections to the Island of Cypress. During the recent Cypress financial crisis in 2013 Russia was a potential alternative for an economic bailout however Cypress decided to stay with the EU and the bailout package they offered.

Cypress is one of the EU countries that are against sanctions against Russia. With the change in government in Greece there seems to be a shift towards Russia from this part of the EU. Greece has also openly talked about improved military relations with Russia. Of course Turkey, with a failing EU application, has already approved a Russian gas line in an effort to bypass Ukraine and deliver Russian gas to Europe.

So while some countries shift away from Russia...Ukraine...others are moving towards Russia. Personally I can't see the EU allowing a Russian military base right beside an important NATO base at this time. Cyprus is likely to use this as a bargaining chip to gain better bailout terms moving forward. The fact they are willing to use such political means to recover from a bailout will surely shake the EU and NATO's faith in Cypress as well as Greece. You could very well see both out of the EU and NATO entirely at some point.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky
The fact they are willing to use such political means to recover from a bailout will surely shake the EU and NATO's faith in Cypress as well as Greece. You could very well see both out of the EU and NATO entirely at some point.

Which would be counterproductive to the EU, NATO and US interests to have Russian bases popping up all over the med. So yes, Cyprus is probably using it as a bargaining chip against the IMF. If the US political machine keeps screwing with Canada, I expect we'll have formal Russian and Chinese military bases here (rather than "informal" ones), that should give the NSA/CIA a real warm and fuzzy feeling LOL.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Well an EU & NATO membership does not negate Sovereignty...

So I don't know what the EU/NATO can say really.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Well if the US feels the need to have military bases all around the world why shouldn't Russia?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
So I don't know what the EU/NATO can say really.

Ah....they can say 'Bye Bye' and boot you out. Cypress not being in the EU wouldn't be noticed. They aren't in NATO so they can't get kicked out. Greece is a whole different thread of issues of course!

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

Why not? We have bases all over the place,so why can't other countries? I think if we all have a more balanced military,it would go farther to stop our 'indispensable' image of our self.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

I didn't mean to imply Russia isn't allowed military bases around the world. I don't think I said that in my post.

The question is where. Given the current EU conflict and sanctions with Russia I would be surprised to see a Russian base opening up inside the EU. Hell France couldn't even deliver a billion dollar ship to Russia and that is small potatoes compared to a couple military bases.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
So much for Russia its isolation.

Egyptian president: Egypt appreciates Russia’s support and wants to build closer relations

CAIRO, February 8. /TASS/. Egypt highly appreciates Russia’s support and wants to build closer relations on the basis on the experience the two countries already have, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi said in an exclusive interview with TASS Deputy Director General Mikhail Gusman ahead of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s visit to Egypt.

Source

India and Russia back China’s call for ‘new world order’ to counter US

Russia and India added their voices on Monday to China’s call for a new world order and endorsed Beijing’s plans to mark the 70th anniversary of the end of the second world war.

The foreign ministers of the three nations met in the capital for talks just a week after US President Barack Obama made a high-profile trip to India

Source

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

To be honest, I'm sure many Nations would wear that "booting out" as a badge of honour at the moment.

The EU is not that popular among the people.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Didn't Cyprus hit a banking crisis and the banks were forced to take around 15% from everyone's accounts?

Which citizens looked to take the biggest hit? Russians.

Russia bailed the banks for its citizens and bought a percentage of the country along with it. No doubt that was part of the bailout conditions, airbase and naval base. Just very surprised NATO countries (many E.U countries) allowed this to occur.
edit on 8/2/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: Typo

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The main reason that this is bad news is because it hits directly at America's overall military strategy and political policies. The US strategy in Europe since the close of WWII has hinged around essentially a "Free Europe." Countering communism was part of this, although in modern times instead of "countering communism" we are "establishing, preserving, and spreading democracy." Which makes sense. A free Europe, composed of democratic nations, will be much less willing to be belligerent towards the United States. It could be argued that Russia is "free," but come on, we all know Putin has not been winning elections legally. It would surprise me a great deal to learn that such was the case. There is definitely animosity between the US and Russia, and many of the decisions that will be made around this time will hinge on policy and military strategy.

I was adamant at the time of the Russian invasion of Crimea that Russia's conquests would cease with the capturing of the vital Black Sea base that they were leasing, and I also stated numerous times that Russia would not press the matter beyond this, militarily speaking. What I could not foresee was the use of partisan forces within Ukraine, but there is no direct evidence that Putin is responsible for all of these instances. Russia's reasoning was obvious to me, as their entire regional strategy hinged on that particular base, and by losing it they would basically be conceding a huge advantage to the US, Ukraine, and any other nation that they could potentially face a future conflict with.

So what does Russia do now? They pursue a multi-faceted strategic approach, a part of which apparently includes expansion, not directly by extending territory, but politically by forming alliances, treaties, or other agreements. Although if history has shown us anything, such treaties mean very little. Now any nation who allows Russia the use of their military bases or territory should take heed, because of what Russia did in Crimea. Perhaps Russia's new strategy is to annex smaller states by first gaining access to them, instead of outright invading them. A very modern form of the Trojan Horse if you will.

I am editing to add that the Trojan Horse idea is pure speculation, and annexation is perhaps not the right word. Instead it is more like bullying with the aim of achieving politically, strategically or even tactically important regions or areas. One thing is certain: a nation does not go doing things for no reason. They have a clear policy that dictates military strategy, because those two things can never be divorced from one another. This means that Russia's actions have a very specific purpose. I do not think we have to worry about nuclear war anytime soon. I have seen many people claim as much, but this is simply not the case. Mutually assured destruction makes this an impossibility between Russia and the United States, barring a catastrophic failure in which missiles launch themselves, or the scenario from the movie "Wargames." But a single nuclear missile launched at the US will NOT be viewed as a Russian attack. ANY nuclear attack by a modern nuclear power will consist of many dozens of missiles launched in a small window of time. Part of the US strategy focuses on missile defense systems, not only at home, but throughout Europe. Any early-warning system would be better placed in Europe. The US is strategically isolated from the majority of the other world powers, and as such is relatively secure from attack, even more-so from invasion.
edit on 2/8/15 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Not an Island of just over 100.000 people who owe over 3 billion US $'s and suddenly don't have open travel and the same currency as the biggest supply of tourists after they get kicked out.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

And Putin has a retirement villa not far away on a Greek Island...how convenient!

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: JiggyPotamus
Now any nation who allows Russia the use of their military bases or territory should take heed, because of what Russia did in Crimea. Perhaps Russia's new strategy is to annex smaller states by first gaining access to them, instead of outright invading them. A very modern form of the Trojan Horse if you will.

Interesting thought. Of course Russia populated much of the Crimean peninsula with military families and retirees who returned to the area which is a very nice area. Cypress already has a Russian flavor to it. That would be political chess playing thinking 20 moves ahead. Is Putin that smart? Maybe

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I thought his villa was in Spain? Does he have a Greek Island as well?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Didn't Cyprus hit a banking crisis and the banks were forced to take around 15% from everyone's accounts?

Which citizens looked to take the biggest hit? Russians.

Russia bailed the banks for its citizens and bought a percentage of the country along with it. No doubt that was part of the bailout conditions, airbase and naval base. Just very surprised NATO countries (many E.U countries) allowed this to occur.

Actually the depositor haircut was around 40% and many wealthy Russians got clipped. The main bailout of 10 Billion Euro was from the ECB, IMF. A later 2.5 Billion Euro emergency loan from Russia.

Good point on the Russian loan to Cypress. I'm sure that loan has a big part to play in Cypress agreeing to a couple Russian bases. The loan is coming due in a couple years I believe.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 8-2-2015 by noeltrotsky because: added link

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Russia isn`t going to take Cyprus.

Cyprus is divided in a Greek and Turkish part, and with which countries it has good relations now ?

Cyprus dispute

The Cyprus dispute is an ongoing conflict on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus between the population of Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots, as well as between their respective states, the (internationally recognised) Greek Cypriot-controlled Republic of Cyprus and the (recognised only by Turkey) Turkish Cypriot-controlled Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.

Source
edit on 8 2 2015 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

The population is closer to a Million than 100k...

And with an above average EU GDP I'm sure they're as worried about debt as every other Nation on Earth with debt...
Which is every other Nation on Earth...

I'll give you the currency argument though.

Losing the Euro would be a drawback for the near future.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
The population is closer to a Million than 100k...
I'll give you the currency argument though.

I'll take it along with the population correction! Thanks!

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This Russian base in Cyprus has been bubbling on for a couple of years at least, perhaps showing Russian recognition that the viability of their facilities in in Tartus, Syria are precarious. Russia needs a base in the Mediterranean due to the uncertainty of traversing the Bosporus should that avenue be closed.

However, in today’s climate with EU/Russia relations I doubt anything much will come of this, and certainly not a hand in glove military agreement. Not least because of the likely British objection to a Russian presence base so near their sovereign territory at Akrotiri and Dhekelia.

In fact, having just researched this, the deal with Cyprus is for Russian ships (etc) to use facilities “in emergency and humanitarian” situations.

Regards

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join