It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawmakers Trying To Pass Bill Exempting Politicians From Arrest And Prosecution For Corruption

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp
WTF does this have to do with OP's thread?
Comments about the common themes of lunacies in much of the Repulsicans' theory and practice is not a relevant criticism of the Demoncrats' hypocrisies.
Start your own thread.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: largo
a reply to: greencmp
WTF does this have to do with OP's thread?
Comments about the common themes of lunacies in much of the Repulsicans' theory and practice is not a relevant criticism of the Demoncrats' hypocrisies.
Start your own thread.

ITF is about a legislature that voted itself immune from otherwise applicable law.

That can be gleaned from the text without even following the link to the other thread.

You are welcome.
edit on 9-2-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

They've just as good as admitted they're guilty of criminal corrupt activity by coming up with a proposal like this.

Innocent and honest people would have no need of such a law, would never propose it, and certainly would never consider passing it.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

They should be arrested and charged for trying to pass such a law . "RICO law refers to the prosecution and defense of individuals who engage in organized crime. In 1970, Congress passed the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act in an effort to combat Mafia groups. Since that time, the law has been expanded and used to go after a variety of organizations, from corrupt police departments to motorcycle gangs. RICO law should not be thought of as a way to punish the commission of an isolated criminal act. Rather, the law establishes severe consequences for those who engage in a pattern of wrongdoing as a member of a criminal enterprise.

Title 18, Section 1961 of the United States Code sets forth a long list of racketeering activities, the repeated commission of which can form the basis of a RICO Act claim. These underlying federal and state offenses exist independently of the act, and include the crimes of homicide, kidnapping, extortion, and witness tampering. Racketeering activities also include property crimes such as robbery and arson. A number of financial crimes are also listed, such as money laundering, counterfeiting, securities violations, as well as mail and wire fraud. " www.hg.org...

This is about as close to the sol'n as can be seen with what everybody has been focusing on so far. There's you sol'n. Peeps should focus on that. RICO.
edit on 9-2-2015 by Flux8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
Oklahomans voted for them.

Machines voted for them.
Who knows what votes went into the machines.

This is kind of the ultimate get out of jail free card for OK congress.
Might as well send them each a crown and blank IOU
edit on 9-2-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   
If this doesn't scream that the system is completely broken, then I don't know what does? Is this really real life?

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   

There's one penalty for corruption they cannot evade...assassination.

All the bent laws in the world won't prevent a disgruntled citizen from exacting their own justice on these freaks, which in my view is exactly what will begin to happen if they passed a law like this. Citizens will be taking out the rubbish their own way. If the law doesn't work, people find alternatives.

Allow a law preventing prosecution of corrupt politicians? You'd need your heads tested first.

Politicians are amongst the most corrupt in society, it'd be like Hitler being immune from prosecution at Nuremberg, if he'd lived.

edit on 10-2-2015 by MysterX because: added info

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: doobydoll

They've just as good as admitted they're guilty of criminal corrupt activity by coming up with a proposal like this.

Innocent and honest people would have no need of such a law, would never propose it, and certainly would never consider passing it.

That is exactly how I feel. They can't get more "in your face" than this bill. Somehow I bet this will pass. Keep the guys (or gals) that vote no on this and then tar and feather the rest and run them out of town on a rail. Make a big production out of this and show them the people have been pushed too far this time.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

You are assuming that you are speaking to independent thinking voters. That is not the voter who votes republican. The republican voter does not VOTE FOR anything. They just VOTE AGAINST any policy that does not serve the rich master. And their rich masters keep them busy meddling in other people's private lives, that they don't care about jobs and living.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   
How is this a surprise.....first they learn to lie,when they get good they become lawyers,there they master the art of lying and become prosecutors,from there they become politicians or judges or vice a versa ....the better they are at lying the further into the game they make it....meh that's why they call it acting

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Typical republican move to solidify their power. If people don't watch these maniacs, it will be too late to do anything about them.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Yup as good as saying they have done it, doing it, helped someone do it or have done it in the past. Most likely all of the above really. I see no reason for any law to be in place that does not effect all or hold all to it fairly.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Are there any politicians that are opposing this?

Any politician that proposes or supports such a law should be immediately thrown in jail, only a career-criminal would come up with such an idea.

I think they fear their political career of deliberate lies, intentional deceit, and self-serving corruption, is about to be fully exposed, otherwise why do they suddenly feel they need a law to shield them from justice? Unless it's because they plan to ratchet-up their criminality a few notches and need this law in place beforehand.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: doobydoll

Besides the noted corruption of anyone that would agree to this law. I'd like to pint out that this is very blatant. You would think if they wanted to do something like this they would cover their tracks better. Let it be in the sub-text not out in the open. It's like they're trying to break the current system now, just looking for way to piss people off.

Added: There is one other reason I can see someone wanting this kind of law. Maybe someone has some blackmail on him and he's trying to dig his way out with out going down.

edit on 10-2-2015 by ObjectZero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
This is like diplomatic immunity. smh

Please pinch me so I can wake up from this madness.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

You are assuming that you are speaking to independent thinking voters. That is not the voter who votes republican. The republican voter does not VOTE FOR anything. They just VOTE AGAINST any policy that does not serve the rich master. And their rich masters keep them busy meddling in other people's private lives, that they don't care about jobs and living.

Yawn, you really should get out a little more.

It isn't that I don't think the Republicans are not living up to their credo, I just don't understand how someone could fail to see the irony and obvious self-description of your rant.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
As long as it costs millions of dollars to be elected to a Public office the corruption will never end. It's beyond absurd that the very people who can make the laws for the masses, would be exempt from those laws. People need to shout from the roof tops about this, and send a very clear message......" Hell No ! "

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Ahh this too funny! I bet in my home state they would love a bill like that! FYI I live in NY and we have watched our politicians make a mockery of justice for years. And in case you live in a bubble the NY is heavily blue.
Read up on the Moreland commission our Gov started then disbanded. The now former assembly speaker got hit with corruption charges over legal "fees" he had been receiving while in office. So you know he was a lawyer and said fees had little to do with the type of law he practiced. The big kicker it took a Democrat named Preet Bharara [ the United States attorney for the Southern District of New York] to bring up charges. The best part is Mr Bharara is not done yet and politician's on both sides are just a tad nervous. The over-looked part of the corruption in politics in my view are the old boy nature of both parties and the excessive amount of lawyers that go into politics. Usually you are not supposed to get involved with legislation that deals with your lively hood, that whole conflict of interest thing. Yet we allow lawyer/politicians to write laws that will benefit them. That bill in the op is a huge conflict of interest except for the fact that they are not immune to prosecution, but may only have charges brought forward by the states Attorney General. Big difference, so you guys can loosen up your britches now. That being said, the integrity of said AG would play a big part and like I said earlier the fact that AG's are part of the political muck plays a role in how aboveboard things would turn out.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Are there any politicians that are opposing this?

As of yet, not that I see in the public domain. Looking at the Legiscan Summary, it hasn't come up for vote yet in the House. I'd expect a vote, IF it even makes it that far, some time in late-Feb/early-March. Votes will be a matter of public record luckily, so we can see who exactly needs the classic tar and feathers.

As more develops, I'll post updates to the thread.

Bill History:

2015-02-09 Referred to Judiciary and Civil Procedure
2015-02-09 Withdrawn from Elections and Ethics Committee
2015-02-03 Second Reading referred to Elections and Ethics
2015-02-02 Authored by Representative Calvey
2015-02-02 First Reading

Looks like the Elections and Ethics Committee wanted nothing to do with it, so its getting passed around like a hot potato.

Via Legiscan, I stumbled onto the great tool of followthemoney.org
Self described as "The nation's only free, nonpartisan, verifiable archive of contributions to political campaigns in all 50 states." Its a very comprehensive database of campaign contributions/donors, lobbying firms hired and/or worked for, PACs involved, etc. It will show you their financial activities and ties as a candidate, as a contributor, as a lawmaker, the top industries and individuals financing them, etc.

First rule of investigative journalism is "Follow the money" and this site is GREAT tool for doing just that.

I've gleaned from their site, that he has run for office twice now, losing in a 2010 primary run-off, and becoming successfully elected in the Nov. 2014 general election. New kid on the block already authoring such a bill, who was an attorney before seeking office in the State House of Representatives is very telling in and of itself.

Prior occupations listed include "Attorney, Self-Employed, Investor."

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flux8

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

They should be arrested and charged for trying to pass such a law . "RICO law refers to the prosecution and defense of individuals who engage in organized crime. In 1970, Congress passed the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act in an effort to combat Mafia groups. Since that time, the law has been expanded and used to go after a variety of organizations, from corrupt police departments to motorcycle gangs. RICO law should not be thought of as a way to punish the commission of an isolated criminal act. Rather, the law establishes severe consequences for those who engage in a pattern of wrongdoing as a member of a criminal enterprise.

Title 18, Section 1961 of the United States Code sets forth a long list of racketeering activities, the repeated commission of which can form the basis of a RICO Act claim. These underlying federal and state offenses exist independently of the act, and include the crimes of homicide, kidnapping, extortion, and witness tampering. Racketeering activities also include property crimes such as robbery and arson. A number of financial crimes are also listed, such as money laundering, counterfeiting, securities violations, as well as mail and wire fraud. " www.hg.org...

This is about as close to the sol'n as can be seen with what everybody has been focusing on so far. There's you sol'n. Peeps should focus on that. RICO.

Is there any precedent you are aware of in which the RICO Act has been successfully applied in such a way? I do agree (as an armchair law enthusiast, mostly in the judiciary aspect) that this seems to be the most likely approach to combat this.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join