It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawmakers Trying To Pass Bill Exempting Politicians From Arrest And Prosecution For Corruption

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Are they saying "the sooner the better"?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

Now why did I already know this had to be a Republican pushing this type of legislation?

Un-friggin-believable!

I guess this means a "Citizen's Arrest" is totally out of the question.

Great find! F & S for the Op.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal

I don't think they need a law for this. They do what they want, when they want, and if they can't they pass a law allowing them too, such as this proposal.

It's ludicrous.

Oh, I'm sure its been "unofficial" standard operating procedure as part of the Good 'Ole Boys Club since time immemorial, but the gall to actually propose it in black & white as written law is astounding. Surely we've all heard the anecdotal stories of "Senator pulled over by law enforcement, plates ran, not charged with DUI or dead hookers."

But this takes it to a whole new level. Like the DA interviewed said, this could set a horrible precedent.

As a resident of the state, this is one I'll definitely be keeping an eye on. Hopefully, it'll be shot down outright, but... I ain't exactly holding my breath.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Sponsored by a Republican. The party of "take personal responsibility" huh?

Personal responsibility is only good when its not you

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Very astute analysis.

What I've seen down here, is if a politician caters publicly to the oil industry that provides the backbone of our local economy, via the Big Boys (Halliburton, who recently accquired Baker-Hughes for 35 BILLION, Chesapeake, etc..) and the ripple effect of countless smaller companies contracted to supply the Big Boys, in the eyes of the public at large they can do no wrong.

For example, our current governor recently pushed a (Koch Bros sponsored) bill through imposing a very heavy tax on any new purchases related to solar power.

Nothing else seems to matter as long as Billy is still making the big bucks out in the oil patch.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Doubtful. This hasn't even made a splash in local or statewide media. Yet....?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: infinityorder

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: infinityorder

DahHaHaHa

See what I mean.

Assumptive witch hunting can be dangerous.

This bs is wrong no matter who passes it.

They aren't above us, the law must apply to all equally.
Stop being partisan, neither side cares about you or me or him or her.

^^^^ THIS, x1000.

Left wing, right wing, still the same crappy bird in the middle

What's that old joke about what politicians have in common with diapers... Oh, they're both full of [snip] and need to be changed often!

edit on 282015 by CloudsTasteMetallic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

Now why did I already know this had to be a Republican pushing this type of legislation?

Un-friggin-believable!

I guess this means a "Citizen's Arrest" is totally out of the question.

Great find! F & S for the Op.

You bring up a really great point. I think if i'm interpreting this right, a citizen's arrest would still be possible/feasible. However, the rub lies in the fact that only a select few (maybe even only one) persons would have jurisdiction to pursue charges.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MKMoniker

Would you be willing to elaborate on those ties re: Bush family? As a resident of the state, you've piqued my interest now.

I'm also interested in the "T. Boone Pickens buying up all the water rights he can get his hands on" stories going around locally.
We're in a severe drought, my town is at stage 5 (of 5) water rationing, since our local lake/reservoir that supplies water to a large area is now under 30% capacity. No outdoor lawn watering, car washing, filling of pools, etc (with a few emergency exemptions, such as nurseries watering to keep plants/trees alive, etc)....

Yet not a word about where all the frack rigs around source their injection water from. Hmmmm.....

Feel free to U2U if you have any thread-derailment/privacy-of-info concerns.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: olaru12

Sponsored by a Republican. The party of "take personal responsibility" huh?

Personal responsibility is only good when its not you

*looks around frantically*
Um... Um.... HE did it, not me!

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Oklahoma lawmakers, sigh...

OK lawmaker wants to ban hoodies in public: Smart thinking or crazy idea?
www.al.com...

Three Oklahoma Lawmakers Go Anti-Gay Crazy
www.bilerico.com...

Oklahoma GOP wants to restrict marriage to people of faith
www.patheos.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Wtf is wrong with you Americans??

If they tried passing a law here in the UK, I'm certain we'd all be uprising.

You all have the ability to carry firearms yet don't even seem moved to do anything about this (or other things I've read about, such as the constant police brutality)

Why don't you all make a stand and actually do something to prevent this from happening? Even the concept of said law happening should make you all angry. (I thought your second amendment, the ability to possess a firearm was first put in place to prevent something like this from happening?)

Is a country filled with corruption (displayed openly like this) the kind of country you lot want to be living in?

Maybe it's the era we are living in, or maybe you're all too comfy with how life is now that you couldn't even fathom the idea of getting together and putting these crooks in their place?

Make a stand America, or America will stand on you. (kinda corny, but hopefully you get my point)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton
Oklahoma lawmakers, sigh...

OK lawmaker wants to ban hoodies in public: Smart thinking or crazy idea?
www.al.com...

Three Oklahoma Lawmakers Go Anti-Gay Crazy
www.bilerico.com...

Oklahoma GOP wants to restrict marriage to people of faith
www.patheos.com...

More evidence of crooks.

Why you all just stand blindly while they try to put these laws in place?

Another example New NYPD Anti-Terror Unit Will Get Machine Guns To Police Protesters
gothamist.com...

What is wrong with you, America?

You used to be the land of the free, the land of hopes and dreams.

Poor little sheepies will never wake up and stand for what is right.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Why do I even look at the train wreck anymore, it gets worse everyday. I try to tell people and most don't want to hear it much less believe or even care.

If they can play by their rules, then they should expect us to play by ours. If they can get away with it, they will do it, well then I can think that way too. It won't be criminal, it can't be if it is just business as usual for them.

Laws, humph! The rules are for suckers to play by. Like my old idiot boss once said, "The rules are more like guidelines" unless it was the people that worked for him, they had to stick to the letter or get fired. They broke the rules constantly to get their county parks in the black and making a profit, as long as it was about the bottom line.

They did everything illegally and had their cronies do the work and the park property was owned by the local utility, not the county! 300 some acres and they leased it for a few dollars a year, cut trees down indiscriminately, wired up the new electrical, installed new plumbing, built cabins, and the inspections were a joke! On top of that they lied to the utility company's inspectors and probably everyone else about what they were doing. The park board director was even allowed to occupy the cabins before the occupation stickers were removed. I should do anything I want on my property like that, but nooooo, I'm just another sucker that plays by the rules meant to keep me and the common Joe down. That job taught me that corruption is in every level of government, I experienced it first hand.

As God as my witness, I'm never going to play the game straight again! They don't have to and neither do I. Filthy smug rat bastards.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I'm imagining a lawmaker, stooped forward, his face flushed and sweating, his teeth clenched and making "mmph, mmph" sounds as he tries to pass a big bill.

edit on 8/2/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Sounds like they are guarding against a future Democrat led inquisition/witchhunt !!!

Probably not a bad idea.

Bs..if they didn't do illegal crap there wouldn't be things to guard against.

It is a bad idea.

Look past your obvious partisan politics.

This doesn't say repubs can't...it says politicians can't be prosecuted.

Libs or repubs.

Just like you you always going on about the libs breaking laws but being OK with repubs trying to make it legal?

Be on the side of the people.....or just admit your blinded by repubs like the obamazombies are for the dems.

This law is absolute bs...it doesn't matter which side it is proposed by, this is messed the eff up.

If this was the dems doing it you would be all torches and pitch forks.

Have you no credibility at all?

Well put. The political cheerleaders here on the forums are getting absolutely sickening. They support their political "team" no matter how absurd and wrong their corrupt souless political "team" is. Then when the same exact thing happens involving the other political "team", they cry foul from the rooftops here like a broken record.

Totally sick of the political cheerleaders here and the nonsense they bring these forums.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DenyTreason

Sounds like they are guarding against a future Democrat led inquisition/witchhunt !!!

Probably not a bad idea.

Bs..if they didn't do illegal crap there wouldn't be things to guard against.

It is a bad idea.

Look past your obvious partisan politics.

This doesn't say repubs can't...it says politicians can't be prosecuted.

Libs or repubs.

Just like you you always going on about the libs breaking laws but being OK with repubs trying to make it legal?

Be on the side of the people.....or just admit your blinded by repubs like the obamazombies are for the dems.

This law is absolute bs...it doesn't matter which side it is proposed by, this is messed the eff up.

If this was the dems doing it you would be all torches and pitch forks.

Have you no credibility at all?

Well put. The political cheerleaders here on the forums are getting absolutely sickening. They support their political "team" no matter how absurd and wrong their corrupt souless political "team" is. Then when the same exact thing happens involving the other political "team", they cry foul from the rooftops here like a broken record.

Totally sick of the political cheerleaders here and the nonsense they bring these forums.

100% agree - it has nothing to do with politics.

All Politicians are very worried about the Perry and Blagojevich (the IL Dem Gov that tried to sell the Senate seat) cases.

When I first heard about these cases I thought they were going to establish some good case law. I almost couldn't believe something was finally being done. But I'm starting to think these cases were brought forward to eventually establish case laws to allow corruption. The Illinois case has been waiting on the a decision from the appellate court for over 14 months. Rumors are starting that they are going to overturn the case and just waiting for a major event to happen so it will not be the lead story.

Get a group of people who are upset enough that their "side" was caught and they will support insane laws like this one. Nice little trick to expand power.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Every corrupt bill can be overturned by courts of laws, so it won't matter.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

If true Calvey needs to be hung for high treason. His body dragged throughout the streets. This does not shock me at all though , the audacity of these lobbying scum is off the charts these days.

Oklahoma is passing a law to ban protesters from wearing masks "guy fawkes" as well as "hoods" yes , that is right hooded sweat shirts and comic book heroes are a threat to the order of things in Oklahoma. Quite a draconian government there apparently. They will tax cubic feet of oxygen breathed by its citizens in no time.

Ill be sure to steer clear of that state. What a disgrace. One can only hope a F-5 touches down on the state house with him and his comrades in it.
edit on 9-2-2015 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2015 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
For years Americans have based their voting on electing someone with "moral superiority", as if entering the "sausage factory" of legislation would help clean it out. In truth, working in the "sausage factory" doesn't make him/her immune from corruption.

Haven't heard this phrase in public discourse in years. Maybe it's time to drag it out.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join