It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Commissioner Insanely suggest Upgrading Resisting Arrest To A Felony

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedal
Attempting to readjust your body, arm etc because of discomfort or even and involuntary action from or reaction to pain etc, in the process of detention can be interpreted as resisting, that's where the problem is, if you are falling or being thrown off balance what is the first thing you do, you attempt to save yourself from injury, you might throw your hands out etc.

Most often if someone grabs you by the arm you will instantly have a natural reaction to pull your arm away, so there is no real way to prove or disprove actual willful or involuntary resistance, they will be treated the same and you have no leg to stand on, literally.

If you have ever accidentally tripped, imagine the things you can do with your body, to keep from the gravitational disaster of falling on your face....anyhow you get the point, if you so much as brush or accidentally touch a police officer they are trained to use force, so at that point it's on you, any action or effort can be construed as resisting, so there you have it, it's just another stupid technicality that will put you behind bars for much longer, doom you for a dumb action or mistake for a very long time and actually you are just as criminal as someone who robbed a bank or punched someone in the face, if this stupid law gets traction and passes.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: boohoo

This is so blatantly unconstitutional that it will never reach the Supreme Court. It will be struck down at the state level but that's not going to stop the police from turning thousands of people into felons while it works it's way through the courts and they delay it with appeals/legal tactics.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Right, see the useful application of this policy if passed will be most effective in removing protesters, you know at a sit in or so called civil disobedient protest, how many people that would normally either have a petty charge or some other citation now will become a felon for demonstrating if it is perceived that their arrest or removal is perceived as resisting... you can easily see where this can be going.... it's ridiculous because the police already have enough powers and possibly too many when it comes to them being able to use their discretion in the moment they deem you are to be arrested or are committing a crime.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Ok pls do tell how this will not end badly, what constitutes resisting arrest, is it talking back or bad mouthing a cop? is it asking why am I being placed in cuffs? is it when you are being thrown around like a rag doll then dog piled your reflex and survival instincts kicked in and you try to wriggle your way from their crushing weight?..
Now what is misdemeanor can turn in to a fed crime, that will make you into a second class citizen, losing your right to vote, some instances cannot receive a passport etc.
And "ahem " which group of people would be the most likely target of a felony charge for resisting arrest.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

This is the best idea ever. We really do need more reasons to arrest and imprison people. Time to buy more stock in Corrections Corp. of America and Geo Group, then pop some popcorn and wait for the revolt.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Felony? I thought it was already something you could be summarily executed for...

The Judge Dredd-esque idiots are already out there in force. We don't need to give them extra powers.
How about more police accountability?
How about better police training?
How about community policing?
Instead, it's all about stripping any power from the general public.

Nah, just shoot whoever looks at you cross eyed, then lie about it later.
Huge generalization, I know. But I'm not too far off the truth.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
How many vids have we watched here where the police are beating the piss out of someone whilst shouting at their car "stop resisting" This will be abuse at most every opportunity if passed..can't see it going that way but stranger things have happened.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
To begin, I want to include a DISCLAIMER: ATS people plz don't do drugs. drugs are b..b-bad, uhm'kay! REAL bad--mkay. I'm serial.

So, despite me being a super goody-two-shoes and a polly prissypants who excels academically, is involved in volunteering and helping my local community and seems like totally the opposite of the type who one would normally see as the type of person who would have a run-in with the fuzz--

ATS I HAVE A CONFESSION TO MAKE: I was arrested once before. *totally embarassed*

My fiance and I unwittingly took the fall for our friend (who isn't our friend any more but not because of this instance). Granted, I WAS in possession of the 2cm by 1cm chunk of righteous chitown flame (which isn't even a full bowl) but I didn't buy it our friend did (it was his turn that week) And my absentminded fiance somehow had our friend's pipe in his pocket...ugh i'm still irritated about that lol

Anyway, youth and foolishness aside--So they arrest me & my fiance (didn't read me my mirandas either)
my response to hearing the words "under arrest" were as follows: "NO."
i shiiit you not haha =X

i just blurted this out so loudly. they actually literally all froze, mid-handcuffing me and all of the cops were just looking at me like WHAAAAA lol and then they just continued as if i hadn't said anything. Twas hilarious even then and even more so in retrospect. I actually had to stop myself from giggling at the time because I was stunned that they had been so stunned by me saying NO. Haha well I guess I did say it rather commandingly. ^_^

granted, I was very cooperative but it just came out of my mouth right then without thinking. So what is 'resisting arrest'? Is it a physical resistance or could it be verbal?

Btw my lawyer was my friend Anthony Cotton. He got the misdemeanor possession charge (which would have been criminal O.O yeah...I wanted to just die when I found out) reduced to a MINOR TRAFFIC ORDINANCE VIOLATION. A TICKET. which isn't criminal at all. And that means that instead of paying $1500 or something for the misdemeanor I ONLY HAD TO PAY THE COURT $150. He even got the D.A to discount me so I didn't have to pay $230.

So coming back to the OP (i'm sorry i went on one of my monologues).
I think that this idea of the NYPD is a stupid idea and I think that they just want more money from tickets and court fees. Feels too "respect mah authoriTIE"/Cartman-esque for me to be ok with them doing this. Just my 2 cents.
edit on 12-2-2015 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

btw s&f. i hope i didn't detract from your OP with my side-story

I wanted to add: felonies should only be because of really serious things like VIOLENTLY ASSAULTING OR HARASSING ANOTHER PERSON or RECKLESSLY ENDANGERING THE LIVES OF OTHERS or I guess also from stuff like stealing money from the government or doing a Ponzie scheme or similar.

Just running away should just be seen as you admitting that you're a spineless coward.

Granted, I'd run if I could definitely get away. Like knew I could 100%.
[yes, yes i did just admit that I'm a spineless coward. pfft--yeah but I'm smart. I'd rather be smart and spineless than dumb and brave. I'm normally really moral but...yeah meet my dark side I suppose. I'm not proud of it, but then there it is.]

Other than that, if there's no way out and if I'd already been stopped and addressed by an officer I wouldn't run because running makes it look like you totally 'did it' and are guilty. My mom once told me that that how running away would come off (yes, my parents are awesome and we talked about things like this growing up. of course, the topic of police came up probably from something we'd watched on t.v--they always explained things fully and honestly to me once I asked a question. Parents should always do this for their kids because it's so useful--I even pass the info on to my best friends because...like...it's just so interesting because, 'what if?'

Life if full of surprises. It's always good to be at least somewhat prepared. Maybe it's just from my mom and my own anxieties/ocd and carefulness but hey--you can ask my friends yourself (or well, at least you can ask my adoptive big brother KingKelson because he's a member here on ATS, too
lol yeah seems legit, amirite? haha
) the seemingly random useless ish that I spout on a daily basis sometimes comes in handy and saves the day.

and uhh...uh..
OH YEAH that's right!
All this is totally relevant and ish because I remembered I'm Rukia xD

Squee! WINNING!
Because Rukia is always right
and because Bankai, b!tches

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

...gee there goes my self-esteem. I killed the conversation.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join