It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Commissioner Insanely suggest Upgrading Resisting Arrest To A Felony

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
If the NYPD has its way, resisting arrest, which is a very vague term, would allow officers to charge anyone resisting with a felony instead of a misdemeanor.

Source

On Wednesday, New York City’s top cop and most ardent broken windows proponent urged stiffer penalties for resisting arrest. After a hearing before state lawmakers in Lower Manhattan, Police Commissioner William Bratton told reporters that the charge should be raised from a misdemeanor to a felony. “I think a felony would be very helpful in terms of raising the bar significantly in the penalty for the resistance of arrest,” said Bratton

Police departments around the US view a number of resisting arrest charges higher than normal as a potential red flag. This trumped up charge is usually fabricated to cover the use of excessive force by officers that frequently arrest people for resisting, and in New York a very small percentage, some fifteen percent, makeup three quarters of all resisting arrest charges.

Clearly, if this insane idea somehow becomes law, police officers that have a vendetta as it appears a few due, can not only use the charge to cover excessive force and brutality but, could also use it against anyone they view with prejudice.

Having said that, not only is this a bad idea, but it would also strip the voting rights a felony charge brings for those convicted of it.

Just looks like an all around bad idea.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
How about stricter policies regarding out of control officers?

How about psych evaluation every 3 months?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
That's a good one.

I wonder why he'd advocate for that...

Could it be the increasing level of scrutiny received, being harder to justify to the public...

Throw a felony in...

It looks much better in the news when someone is killed and the word felony is thrown about.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
It's also a plus for the Forum & Social Media shills...

The word "thug" is losing its appeal...

"Felon" is a suitable replacement to keep the apologist shilling fresh.
edit on 8-2-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

link   
Actually I would expect that they will jump on this egregious bandwagon and turn it into reality.......
The perfect tool for a totalitarian police gone out of control already......
Such a threat from the pigs would shut down a lot of people who would normally stand up for their constitutional rights....
Felony charges would certainly be far more intimidating to the populace.....
Should this idea prove fruitful I believe it would be the final line in the sand for some of us.......
These arrogant barstids just don't realise how actually vulnerable they are....
Their high handed behavior is a big part of the social problems they complain about.
In truth the cops, the government have been found out by the people....they will never receive the kind of obedience and respect they demand because they have proved themselves to be liars of the highest order time and time again.....

link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

And/or, all officers must wear body cameras, and if not or the device somehow didn't work during that no knock raid, they are prosecuted themselves.

Insanity for All..!

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Why play the game properly when they can change the rules to suit their moves.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Wow lolz kiss our freedoms goodbye, what will our American people do about this? NOTHING AT ALL AS USUAL!

Felony jail time because because because because because. . . . . Because of the wonderful things he does to send us to jail for doing nothing at all.

The wizard of police state OZ needs to be put down Conan style!

edit on 8-2-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

I too think a felony would be very helpful in terms of raising the bar significantly in the penalty for corruption and mismanagement of a public office. Can we start with him?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

How about stricter guidelines for who is hired. Such as a college education. All around it has been found to reduce numerous things, sick time, vehicle collisions, less force...ect.

Source

Some social scientists believe that a college education matters greatly and likely improves a police officer's effectiveness. But data supporting this proposition are difficult to find. This study was designed to determine whether there is any relationship between police officer work habits and higher education. The method involved examining the level of education of Saint Paul police officers and noting any correlations between it and the officers' work habits.

Police officers with higher education perform on the job better and are less likely to engage someone with force.

edit on 8-2-2015 by Daedal because: edit

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
O man do i smell "IMPEACHMENT" IN THE AIR!!!! how long are these corrupt scumbags going to keep doin this s*** an get away with it???

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

i wonder if this ruling works both ways , can a person make a citizens arrest on a cop and if he resisted would he have a felony charge added .

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Hey now, they dont want critical thinkers on the team I am fairly certain of that, only mindless order following dolts need apply.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ATF1886
O man do i smell "IMPEACHMENT" IN THE AIR!!!! how long are these corrupt scumbags going to keep doin this s*** an get away with it???

Forever and ever, because we Americans lack the will to do anything about it. It will continue until all of our rights are gone, not like we have many left anyways lol. They dont need a reason to take anyone they want to jail anymore, and its all 100% legal. What did we do about that. . . . . NOTHING AS USUAL.

I know people can be detained for at least 48 hours in jail for nothing but an officers desire for you to be there. No crime needed no pass go no collect $200.
Now making it a felony to resist arrest means they can lock you up and throw away the key for asking what did I do officer?

www.nolo.com...
In a 2014 case, a Tennessee woman went to jail because she failed to keep up her yard. She had received a citation (and citations before it) for not meeting the standards of Lenoir City’s ordinance on yard maintenance. Because she reportedly didn’t get her act together even after the citation, the judge sentenced her to five days in jail (later reduced to six hours) even though she had committed no crime. (See “Woman Goes to Jail for Not Mowing Lawn.”)

Though noteworthy, this kind of case—where someone goes to jail without a violation of a criminal law—isn’t unheard of. (Okay, the unkempt-yard angle is a little unique.)

edit on 8-2-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Whoa this is serious! Police charging people with resisting arrest is their go to move when they want to arrest someone but have nothing on them. I was once arrested for resisting arrest, that's it. What charge was I resisting? Truth is I walked in on 6 cops beating the crap out of my friend so the natural thing to do is to arrest me. So if this ever becomes a felony a lot of people will now be felons thanks to this BS suggestion.

Hopefully it'll never happen.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Great idea...it isn't like they just throw "resisting arrest" at the drop of a hat....oh wait.

Ironically enough they arrest people illegally all the time.

The supreme court has ruled many times on this, and one can resist arrest that is not lawful up to and including killing the offending officer if necessary to ensure ones freedom.

One case I remember was john badelk vs the state of Indiana.

They can't just arrest you because they want to.

There must be a set criteria ad per the constitution, the supreme court has also ruled on this and up held it.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
So then what you are tellifng me is that it is too late to change or make a difference?? Im sure its been way too late im not worried bout me any more its my kiddos that i fear for...a reply to: FormOfTheLord

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: infinityorder

Great idea...it isn't like they just throw "resisting arrest" at the drop of a hat....oh wait.

Ironically enough they arrest people illegally all the time.

The supreme court has ruled many times on this, and one can resist arrest that is not lawful up to and including killing the offending officer if necessary to ensure ones freedom.

One case I remember was john badelk vs the state of Indiana.

They can't just arrest you because they want to.

There must be a set criteria ad per the constitution, the supreme court has also ruled on this and up held it.

For 48 hours yes you can be detained for nothing at all, then a judge needs to see a reason why and they will decide if any formal charges need to be applied to you. So for up to 2 days you can sit in jail while they think about if they will decide to charge you with anything at all. If they decide to not charge you with anything you are free to go, but if they can think of anything, and I mean anything, kiss your freedom goodbye. So if a cop doesnt like you he can just say you resisted arrest, and you go to jail anyway, reguardless of if this law happens in New York or not.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I think most people misunderstand the reason for elevating "resisting" arrest to a jailable offense. There is no way the court system can possible put everyone in jail who might be tagged with this - all arrestees, as It is impractical.

The reason can be found in the word "resist." It is our natural inclination to resist being jailed, handcuffed, assaulted, beaten, or restrained and has been for all of time. 100 years ago you had no obligation to consent to a pseudo authoritarians attempts to cage you but this was a problem. Consent is needed for all actions to take place on earth, all, so those in charge need to find creative ways to get you to consent. At first the idea was "arrest" was in the public's best interest. Then it was to protect all involved and so on.

By stating that "resisting" is no longer a "natural" response to aggression but an attack on the state they have stated you no longer have "choice" when it comes to the control mechanisms and must consent to anyone or anything that seeks to bind you.

This is a VERY desperate measure taken by those who seek to control. They will frame this in terms of safety for the arrestee, and then safety for the officer but the fact is this is a last ditch effort to bypass natural freewill, consent, in favor of creating a mental construct that simple obeys, despite the fact that the effort required to obey goes against the nature of the human.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Resisting arrest being a felony means the police will have more justification to commit a homicide.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join