It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is what happens when you can't govern

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
(Forgive me if this news has already been posted, the search engine is not working)

Australia: A sunburned yet lucky country of wide sweeping plains, diverse wildlife and a...turnstile government?

Many of you might be aware of recent changes in leadership, but a few years back the Labor party employed a revolving door policy that believed that a good stab in the back deserves another, and in two terms Australia has seen a former Prime Minister-Kevin Rudd-voted out by colleagues and replaced by Julia Gillard, who in turn was ousted in favor of...Kevin Rudd. It was a comedy of errors that lead to the liberals being elected.

But now it seems that history could be in danger of repeating itself-again.

Tony Abbott has admitted he could be removed as leader on Monday but says he respects the party room and expects the result will accurately reflect their views.

“What I’m saying to them is the last thing our country needs now is to see another government go into meltdown.

“I will not let this country down and I will not let my party down.”

news.c om.au

However this view is not shared by all members of the party, in fact when one MP was asked if the communications minster Malcolm Turnbull should challenge for leadership, the response was...

"He'd be a complete arsehole if he didn't," the MP said.

www.abc.net.au

There has to be something severely wrong with the governance in Australia if the Prime ministers' own colleagues aren't willing to support him, and if the leadership does change hands that means means Australia will have had Four Prime Ministers in three terms. How is this even possible? Well it's very simple-the Major Parties simply can't govern.

Voters around the world are becoming more skeptical of their elected officials every day, and the last thing that any voter needs is a government that has no purpose or magnetic north that they can aim for, and everyday there is a nation that has a government tearing themselves apart at the seams. Politics is six weeks of campaigning and 3 years of dozing and people are sick of that, which explains why we have no faith in our officials.

By this time tomorrow Australia could have a new Prime Minister-but for how long?

edit on 8-2-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

It is an unfortunate situation when both of our major political parties are so unstable that we can't have a Prime Minister survive a complete term in office without being overthrown...

This is a problem whereby our elected representatives are detached from the populace. They care more about their jobs and electability rather than the well-being of the general populace. Hearing the MP's speak is clear enough. They're not overthrowing the Prime Minister for the benefit of the people. They're doing it to save themselves and their paychecks.

Truly, politics is a detestable spectacle in its current state. We need someone who is willing to stand up for the people. Someone able to face challenges and achieve great things for all of us. I don't have high hopes.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This is beginning to read like Italy after ww2, new government every six months...

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Truly, politics is a detestable spectacle in its current state. We need someone who is willing to stand up for the people. Someone able to face challenges and achieve great things for all of us. I don't have high hopes.
a reply to: daaskapital

The problem is that the only time politicians are willing to stand up for the people is during an election campaign.

During that time they'll shake hands with employers and speak of their plans to boost employment and they'll kiss babies and speak of their plans to fund hospitals- but once the polls have closed the handshakes and baby kissing stops.

Politicians spend millions on the campaign trail but when they are elected suddenly the coffers are empty, so they do the honorable thing and blame everyone else for the deficit. It's a vicious cycle that will continue until someone puts a stop to it.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Canada has the opposite problem. The party leader, Harper, has been in power of his party and the government for 9 years now straight. He has literally become a dictator. He has implemented total control over his party. They are all given talking points and they don't deviate from what they are told to say. There is no such thing as dissent. That has now extended over into the Civil Service, where they are now forbidden to talk to the media. All government communications are controlled. It extends more than that of course, but you get the point.

A semblance of democracy, which is all we can hope for, requires political instability to 'keep them honest'. I'd suggest the capitalist 'democracy' system doesn't work at a basic level.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The capitalist democracy system is a farce and was never intended to work as advertised...it is a simple divide and rule strategy.....devised by those with the power to deceive us.....

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   

I do not think that Australia's government is any more useless than any other government. I think it is perhaps more likely that the Australian people are far less inclined to put up with, if I might be permitted a geographically accurate term "a bunch of drongos" sipping posh booze on their dime, and the more power to them I reckon.

It does not matter how many leaders and politicians you get through, there are always more waiting in the wings. I think the most important thing is that the electorate do not allow the government to hold their nation to ransom. The people need to hold out for a person, and a set of policies, which are not utter bunk. Till they get it, stick will not be preferable to twist.

top topics

join