It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dogs vs. Cats or Cats vs. Dogs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Not really an ultimate fighter thread but rather a trivia type of flavor is what I'm aiming for here. We have a great divide on ATS of cats vs dog people but let's look at how different they truly are.

Ok, I'll begin:

Something that many may not be aware of regarding the simple act of a dog drinking water. My wife asked me if other animals do it this way and to be honest I don't know. I always knew it was a scoop motion but never imagined that it was a reverse scoop. How cool is that?

I saw this a few years ago and for some reason I have never forgotten it as one of those trivia points that you pull out at a round table.

Footage from "Secret Life of Dogs" narrated by Martin Clunes. An Alsatian drinking water filmed with Phantom camera at 1000fps.

But of course a cat has to be at least a little bit different right?

Ok, that's my Sunday morning allotment of time wastage on YT.

Enjoy!

Peace

edit on 8-2-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I'm both a cat AND dog person, I can't choose between the two. I'm just an animal lover in general I guess.

Cats can be assholes sometimes though...

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Then there's a whole claws in/claws out thing.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

*ding ding ding*

I've owned both-I like cats because they pretty much look after themselves- as long as you leave a bowl of food out for them they become part of the furniture. However I like dogs because they are good companions yet they require a lot of time and effort.

Lizards are the comfortable middle ground IMO.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Dogs feel they are entitled to take a dump and expect you to tidy it up for them. The audacity of these creatures astounds me. No personal responsibility whatsoever

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Language and Content Warning

Sad Dog Diary:

Sad Cat Diary:

edit on 2/8/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I'm a cat lover, a dog lover too, but I realise the differences regarding intelligence.

Cats are hard to train and dogs are easy to train, only a stupid animal (humans included) can be made to do something it wouldn't do naturally.

Cats are clean and groom themselves for hours and are considerate and almost secretive about their toilet habits. Dogs will stop where they stand and cr@p anywhere expecting others to clean it up and occasionally they lick their balls.

Dogs depend on their owners for everything, cats can fend for themselves if needs be.

Cats can outstare anything better than dogs.

Cats meditate, dogs dream.

Cats don't keep whole towns awake on a daily basis all year round with iscessant barking because they NEED company.

Cats are magical, dogs are just fun.

Cats are not gluttons and don't eat a whole dinner prepared for a family and left out in a kitchen for them to assassinate.

Cats aren't stupid enough to return something thrown away.

Cats walk themselves.

Cats have claws and know when to use them. Dogs have claws and just ruin floors and car seats.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

A cat thinks: Hey, these people I live with feed me, love me, provide me with a nice warm, dry house, pet me, and take good care of me...I must be a god.

A dog thinks: Hey, those people I live with feed me, love me, provide me with a nice warm, dry house, pet me, and take good care of me.....They must be gods!

Source

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Then there's a whole claws in/claws out thing.

Innie vs outie?

Different thread.

Peace

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

*ding ding ding*

I've owned both-I like cats because they pretty much look after themselves- as long as you leave a bowl of food out for them they become part of the furniture. However I like dogs because they are good companions yet they require a lot of time and effort.

Lizards are the comfortable middle ground IMO.

Difficult to cuddle up with a lizard tho.

Peace

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Lol 'the authorities', great vid thanks for the share

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Puppies are Indy and Kitties are ... Nazis?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I have had dogs all my life and never knew they drink like that!

Dogs vs. Cats

Cats are Takers.

Dogs are Givers.

Both have their place just like humans...But DOGS Rule. Greatest animals on Earth!

Guess you may know which I prefer? Heh.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

That's so cool. I didn't realize that dogs did the reverse scoop, either. Thanks for posting it.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Missmissie173

I have had dogs all my life and never knew they drink like that!

Dogs vs. Cats

Cats are Takers.

Dogs are Givers.

Both have their place just like humans...But DOGS Rule. Greatest animals on Earth!

Guess you may know which I prefer? Heh.

There has never been a human being as fine as a dog.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine
There has never been a human being as fine as a dog.

I am right there with ya on that.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Both are great to have and have always had time for both but before leaving Oz I always preferred dogs.
Growing up we always had at least one of each and the cat was just kinda something to keep my lap warm when watching telly, alway loved em but never felt that close, Coming to Asia and living in apartments meant dogs weent an option for me, after nearly 2 years of craving a furry friend 1 came across a kitty 1 day hanging to the side of a cliff he had obviously fallen down, poor fella was skinny and filthy but within a few weeks was good as gold and never looked back.
Had quite a few kitties in my 7 years abroad now, including my Avatar kitty, and think Im a convert apart from when theyre kittens cats are just so chilled.
I also feel guilty as dogs need constant stimulation and if you cant provide them with it can you imagine how bored they must get.
Nothing much going on a cat will just have a nap, in fact when stuff is happening a cat is probably thinking "wish this would stop, its getting in the way of my nap time"
If I had the backyard would have both but for the purpose of the question posed, put me down for Kitties

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Cats are easier to care for. They can easily content themselves with the simplest of things like an empty box, a feather, a wadded up piece of paper etc. You don't have to walk them. You don't have to pick their poop up off the floor or outside. Give them food and water and love and they are good to go.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I am a dog person primarily. However I took in a kitten while in college many years ago. It was winter and this kitten was in the middle of the courtyard at my apartment and it was going to snow...who could resist the meowing of a kitten in distress?

I took her in and she turned into my friend for her entire life..she was the coolest cat ever! She lived to be 17 years old before passing on.

My favorite 2 stories of her occurred many years later.... The first was the entrance of a boxer into our yard who thought he could take on a mature and intelligent cat. Wrong! She jumped on his back and rode him to the edge of the yard. He never once set foot on our yard again.

The 2nd involves a german shepard pup I had. As the pup grew up, it was clear who the "top dog" was.. Shadow, my cat. Once the dog became about a year old and fully grown, I guess the difference in size emboldened her. I was watching a game on tv and noticed the dog barking constantly. I looked out the window and saw Shadow sitting calmly in the middle of the backyard while the dog was running back and forth barking at the cat. Shadow was cool as a cucumber....she just watched the dog as it ran past her each time. The dog was getting closer with each pass. Finally when the dog got a bit too close the cat just jumped straight up and swiped the dog on the nose.

The german shepard never again challenged the cat... lol

Shadow was tolerant of my young children and never once scratched or behaved badly towards them, even though I know a few times she was irritated by them. The look and the swishing, constantly moving tail were dead giveaways. My kids were around 10 when she finally passed...

I have to confess that I cried... Never adopted a cat since (or rather, never was adopted by a cat since).

Cats are cool...but I wouldnt trade any of my cockers for a cat. Not to mention there will never be another Shadow.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Of course cats have to do it differently. Cats are the Broadway dancers of the cat world. Dogs are the fruitstand salepeople of the dog world; laid back........ helpful, friendly, humorous, loyal and protective. They both interact with their world differently, and on occasion, with each other in a favorable manner.

Cats are very insecure, so they go on the muscle almost constantly.

Dogs are happy just to be alive. "Look! It's today! I love today!!"

In the event of crisis, cats go to ground.
Dogs go to you.
No judgement. It's just different y'all.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join